Poll: Do you support the right to bear arms?
Yes
No
Keep Hunting Rifles Only
Pistols but not AR(s) + 3
Assualt Rifles + 3 & 4
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 02:06 PM by Cathym112.)
RE: Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement
(24-04-2014 01:10 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I will never get in a gun fight because I don't own a gun.
If a person pulls out a gun in a mall, I will run or hide rather than engage in a gun fight. If a person makes me angry I will never be tempted to pull a gun out and shoot them. If I find my wife in bed with another, I will not have the option of pulling a gun. If a person pulls a gun on me and demands my wallet, I will not be tempted to engage in a gun fight. If I catch a person stealing my car, I will not be tempted to shoot them dead.

Thats just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You have no idea what you would do in that situation because you've never been in one! Neither have I, but I'd prefer to have options. Gun possession does not automatically mean gun usage - and I say this lovingly - you dingleberry. Further...owning or possessing a gun doesn't tempt you to shoot anyone. Thats ridiculous. Shooting people is not a recreational sport. No responsible law abiding gun owner wants to shoot another person....in fact, we go to great lengths to ensure that no one gets shot. Not even an intruder. A gun is a tool, in the same way that a car is. A car gets you from point a to point b. It can be for recreation or professional use. It can be the thing that puts food on your table by virtue of its professional use. It can get misused, and accidents happen. Sometimes even reckless ones (alcohol, etc). But banning a tool or having an irrational fear of a tool is just silly. BTW, having respect for a gun and fearing a gun is completely different. I am talking about respect, you are talking about fear.

Do you think you would cower in a corner and wet your pants? Maybe. Or you might decide that when someone is about to murder a group of students, and you happened to be right there, you would tuck your tail between your legs and save yourself at their peril? Come on, man.

No one is saying that they would run into a mall, gun drawn, in a vigilante style situation. But rather, if you are there, you will back yourself into cover, gun drawn, hoping that the gunman doesn't come your way. Wouldn't you prefer to have the option to shoot?

And your fear that accidents happen around guns is because you don't udnerstand how to safely use one. Are you afraid of all your kitchen knifes too? Or all the matches in your house? Accidental fires kill more people than gun accidents do.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
24-04-2014, 02:04 PM
(24-04-2014 01:57 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Thats just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You have no idea what you would do in that situation because you've never been in one!
I know 100% that I wouldn't pull a gun, because I don't possess one.
24-04-2014, 02:06 PM
(24-04-2014 01:57 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Or you might decide that when someone is about to murder a group of students, and you happened to be right there, you would tuck your tail between your legs and save yourself at their peril?
Absolutely. I am no hero. My life is more important to me than theirs.
24-04-2014, 02:07 PM
(24-04-2014 01:57 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  And your fear that accidents happen around guns is because you don't udnerstand how to safely use one. Are you afraid of all your kitchen knifes too? Or all the matches in your house? Accidental fires kill more people than gun accidents do.
This is silly.
I own knives so that I can cut up food.

What do I need a gun for?
24-04-2014, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 02:23 PM by Cathym112.)
(24-04-2014 02:07 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 01:57 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  And your fear that accidents happen around guns is because you don't udnerstand how to safely use one. Are you afraid of all your kitchen knifes too? Or all the matches in your house? Accidental fires kill more people than gun accidents do.
This is silly.
I own knives so that I can cut up food.

What do I need a gun for?

You own knives for more than just food. You use them to open packages (scissors are two knives). And if you were in the kitchen fighting with an intruder, you would use it for protection. You have all kinds of knives for different purposes. Paring knife is different than your meat cleaver.

You could use a gun for hunting, recreation (trapt, skeet and target), and self defense.

Do you own a baseball bat? An Axe? A Chainsaw? (we all know what happens when crazy people get ahold of chainsaws....) How about a wrench? These are all tools. So is a gun. Except you have this irrational idea that the only purpose of a gun is homicide.

You dodged my question about fire. Are you afraid of fire? Do you think it should be banned? After all, you don't need fire to cook your food, or heat your house. There is no reason for you to ever need to use fire. Yet you do. And you aren't afraid of it, yet respect its power, understand that people do use it to commit crimes and that fatal accidents can happen. Your irrational target of guns is equivalent to telling people to ban fire. Especially since fires have killed more people in ONE YEAR by accident than all the gun accidents for the last decade combined.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
24-04-2014, 02:26 PM
(24-04-2014 12:06 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 11:49 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  In my ongoing conversation with you, we were discussing why civilian in a civilised country needs an AK..

I can imagine the gleam in your arms dealer salesman as he makes his pitch to you:
"Just imagine, racial tension is high, some white cop shoots an unarmed black or hispanic kid, the local blacks or hispanics are in an uproar, start rioting. Your little white face is a beacon just beckoning them towards you, What are you gonna do? Well, with this baby, 50 rounds in the clip, guaranteed to fire everytime you pull the trigger, you could quite easily perch yourself atop your roof, get yourself all comfy and start pickin' those little black or hispanic b'stards off, C'mon, you owe it to yourself, your wife and kids, your white neighbors to have one of these babies. And if you buy this now, I'lleven throw in a couple of grenades. Woah baby, you know you need this."

You grinning from ear to ear.
"Fuck yeah, can't put a price on my family's life, I don't care what this semi-auto costs, yeah baby!"

Personally, I can't see any reason whatsoever for me or my neighbors to own an assault rifle. I feel society is much safer without them being sold to every immature Rambo wanna be.

Ha! Yup. Just like that.

fix this, Jesse. I can't tell which is your reply and which is the quote.

None of the above was me, except the HA! part. Posted from my phone. Guess it came out choppy.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
24-04-2014, 02:26 PM
(24-04-2014 02:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 01:57 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Or you might decide that when someone is about to murder a group of students, and you happened to be right there, you would tuck your tail between your legs and save yourself at their peril?
Absolutely. I am no hero. My life is more important to me than theirs.

You have the opportunity, and the ability to stop a bunch of students from getting murdered and you would turn, run, and leave them to die.

W.o.w. Just wow.

[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
24-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Well, hopefully nobody ever breaks into Stevil's home with bad intentions. Too bad for the spouse and kids if Stevil hauls ass out the door.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
24-04-2014, 02:44 PM
(24-04-2014 02:37 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  Well, hopefully nobody ever breaks into Stevil's home with bad intentions. Too bad for the spouse and kids if Stevil hauls ass out the door.

Its clear Steve has never been a first responder. Rather, he is the guy that will call 911, but watch while a car sinks into lake with kids trapped inside.

24-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Steve,

From your posts, I'm getting your main objections to guns are the following:

1) There is no reason to own one;
2) Owning and handling one makes you more reckless by the very nature of owning/handling it;
3) Accidents - even fatal ones - can happen with it;
4) Crimes are committed with it; and
5) Unstable people own/use them.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is there anything I left out?