Poll: Do you support the right to bear arms?
Yes
No
Keep Hunting Rifles Only
Pistols but not AR(s) + 3
Assualt Rifles + 3 & 4
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 08:39 PM
RE: Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement
(24-04-2014 08:06 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 08:03 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Well what do you think gun owners do? Hear a noise and automatically start blowing holes in their walls? We get up, usually unarmed, and go check. I mean, really now.Facepalm

Well that's the most logical thing. If I hear so much as a thud that could be my cat, I GO GUNS'A'BLAZIN! YEEEEHAWWWWW! PEW PEW.

I'm amazed at all the people that think this is really what people do though.

I know right! That damn cat is lucky it has nine lives.

Btw - I had a visual of you stumbling out of bed, fixing your fingers into fake guns, tying the bedsheet around your neck like a cape and going "pew pew" with your fake shots.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
24-04-2014, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 09:06 PM by Cathym112.)
(23-04-2014 01:29 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 01:26 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Believe it or not, a country becomes more civilized and polite when everbody is carrying a gun.
No, I don't believe that.
It sounds like propaganda spread by companies looking to sell guns.

What logic goes behind that thinking?

It is backed up by data. Here, most recent case in the city of Chicago where they just allowed for concealed carry.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/...read-this/

Here is the logic. If it's more widely known and accepted that people carry guns, I'm gonna think twice about trying to fight with someone, or rob someone, or attempt to hurt them because the risk is too high that they will hurt me back.

Like I've said before, break into my house and it may be the last thing you ever do. That's a big deterrent. More so than the threat of police or Jail time.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
24-04-2014, 09:27 PM
(24-04-2014 04:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yes,
Normal people can get moments of incredible anger or depression.

I don't think you know very much about depression.

Quote:It is irrational to think 1 person can defend themselves against an angry armed mob.

In the Koreans in the riot situation, it was not one person.

And, yes, one well-armed person can halt a crowd.

Quote:It is irrational to think a person in a civilised country will need a semi automatic assault rifle for self defence.

For about the umpteenth time, semi-automatic rifles are not assault rifles.

Quote:It is irrational to think that all civilians are trained and careful with guns in a time of crisis.

Many civilians are trained and careful at all times.

Quote:It is irrational to think that when you are being mugged that you will have time and opportunity to grab your gun.

No, it is not. Muggings can be and have been, prevented by merely displaying a firearm.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 09:38 PM by =jesse=.)
(24-04-2014 07:53 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 07:24 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  So Stevil, what do you for defending your family? Let's just say, hypothetically, someone breaks in and is assaulting your wife or kid.

I find this a highly unlikely scenario.
But, in the event, I would try to protect my family, maybe punch the attacker, kick him in the nuts, IDK, but then run (with my family) out of the house.

(24-04-2014 07:24 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  To the comment about a drunk coming into the home, my stance is the same. I stand by the bedroom and announce I have a gun and we've called the cops. Advance towards me and get shot. Stop and obey commands, and don't get shot. Turn tail and run and don' get shot. Once the sanctity of the home is violated, your life is forfeit. I could give a shit what your reasons are. Whatever the reason is, it's not going to trump the safety of my family, and I will absolutely, without hesitation, kill, or die, to protect them.
Me personally, I'd be scared for sure. I have had situations with a person on my property late at night, but not inside the house.
What I did was to go outside and talk to this person. She was drunk, I asked her if she was OK, then I told her she was on my property, asked her where she lived or was visiting and then helped her to get to that place.

There have been a few times where I thought I heard a noise in my house late at night. I got up out of bed, unarmed and checked the house, made sure no-one was there, then went back to bed.

A kick to he shnutz might work. Have you ever been in a legit fight? Sounds like a best case scenario to me. Hopefully he hasnt beat the sh*t out of you first.

Somebody outside doesnt concern me. Someone inside does. Ive also walked my house at night when I heard a sound. Whats your point? Once again, drunk or high, I dont care. Its not my concern. My concern is my family....not the well being of the intruder or his/her purposes for breaking in. Maybe theyre drunk.....maybe not. Ive worked hard to buy a home, my possessions, and have a good life with my wife. Why am I, or you, obligated to run? My home. My family. If you make a stupid ass decision amd get shit faced drunk, be prepared todeal with the consequences. And Im not saying I'll kill for being drunk...but because you threatened the safety of my family. Im not leaving my wifes well being to a chance kick in the nuts.

Sounds like youre more inclinded to run and hide than be a protector. Thats fine. we're all different. But your inclination to avoid conflict isnt a valid reason to argue against guns.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
24-04-2014, 09:43 PM
(24-04-2014 07:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
Quote:The Straw Purchase Loophole
The Brady Law is actually relatively easy to circumvent, through "straw purchases." This is when a person purchases a gun through a surrogate. Only the purchaser receives a background check. Straw purchases are technically illegal under a 1968 law, but gifts are not, granting a very large loophole to any surrogate who has a demonstrable relationship with the person who actually wants the gun.

The Gun Show Loophole
Another loophole is that the law applies only to licensed dealers. Non-licensed dealers can still sell firearms, subject to other federal, state or local regulations, and without making background checks. This exemption for private sales has been dubbed the "Gun Show Loophole," as these events are where many of those transactions take place.

These are grossly disingenuous misstatements of the facts. As far as 'straw purchases' go, if the receiver of the firearm can't legally possess it, then it is illegal. Both the giver and receiver are in violation of the law. There is no loophole.

And the poisonously misnamed "Gun Show Loophole" is merely that private transactions are not burdened with a background check. Once again, though, both the seller and buyer must comply with state and federal law.

24-04-2014, 09:57 PM
(24-04-2014 08:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I disagree with your strange definition. Criminals are gun owners too, we can't simply wave them off. Many criminals have come into guns via legitimate means.

It is not a 'strange definition'; legal gun owner is what is meant by gun owner in these debates.

Criminals do not use their own legally acquired guns when committing crimes unless they have the IQ of a kumquat.

Quote:
(24-04-2014 07:48 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  They absolutely do. But its not as easy to steal a gun from a responsible owner as you were suggesting.
Not all gun owners are responsible.

And not all car owners are responsible, and not all drivers are responsible, and not all drinkers are responsible, and not all factory owners are responsible, and ...

In many states, the law requires safe, secure storage of firearms.

Quote:
(24-04-2014 07:48 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Cars get stolen too...and often used in a commission of a further crime. Doesn't make the car more dangerous though...
Cars are useful to get from A to B. Guns are useful to ...Kill people.

And guns are used to protect people.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-04-2014, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 09:10 AM by Chas.)
(24-04-2014 07:53 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 07:24 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  So Stevil, what do you for defending your family? Let's just say, hypothetically, someone breaks in and is assaulting your wife or kid.

I find this a highly unlikely scenario.
But, in the event, I would try to protect my family, maybe punch the attacker, kick him in the nuts, IDK, but then run (with my family) out of the house.

You really haven't thought about this, have you? Do you sleep with boots on? Because a kick with bare feet is unlikely to be effective.

And are you 6'4", 250 lbs? Your opponent may well be - the one attempting to rape your wife or abduct your child.
Or he is armed.
Or on meth.
Or it isn't 'he', but 'they'.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-04-2014, 02:16 AM
(24-04-2014 10:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  You really haven't thought about this, have you? Do you sleep with boots on? Because a kick with bare feet is unlikely to be effective.

And are you 6'4", 250 lbs? Your opponent may well be - the one attempting to rape your wife or abduct your child.
Or he is armed.
Or on meth.
Or it isn't 'he', but 'them'.
I feel comfortable enough in a confrontation, I'd rather get in a fist fight than a gun fight.
25-04-2014, 05:39 AM
(25-04-2014 02:16 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 10:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  You really haven't thought about this, have you? Do you sleep with boots on? Because a kick with bare feet is unlikely to be effective.

Or he is armed.
Or on meth.
Or it isn't 'he', but 'them'.
I feel comfortable enough in a confrontation, I'd rather get in a fist fight than a gun fight.

Based on everything you've told us thusfar, it will be the last thing you ever do.

I promise you. Whomever breaks into your house is not empty handed.

[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
25-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I voted for pistols, but not assault rifles.

"I'm from the south" is the entirety of my explanation.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days