Poll: Do you support the right to bear arms?
Yes
No
Keep Hunting Rifles Only
Pistols but not AR(s) + 3
Assualt Rifles + 3 & 4
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2014, 05:34 PM
RE: Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement
Yes, it would be lovely if we didn't need guns. It would be lovely if we could just not hurt each other. It would be great if people no longer needed to defend themselves from other people. We're not there yet. And if someone says I should be barred from owning a revolver I call BS on that. I worked in Tulsa. I worked alone in a bad neighborhood until one am. Every night. I'm 5'8", and I'm not a small gal. But if some cook with a knife, or even without comes at me and I'm unarmed, I'm screwed. Cops don't go into these areas. To be blunt: if someone is trying to rape me, or steal from me, or assault me, chances are there isn't much I can do to stop them unarmed. I have a revolver (granted, a very small one) and that WILL stop them.

I am actually ok with the idea of a background check for handgun purchases. But making them out of reach entirely rubs me the wrong way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
26-04-2014, 06:41 PM
(26-04-2014 05:34 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yes, it would be lovely if we didn't need guns. It would be lovely if we could just not hurt each other. It would be great if people no longer needed to defend themselves from other people. We're not there yet. And if someone says I should be barred from owning a revolver I call BS on that. I worked in Tulsa. I worked alone in a bad neighborhood until one am. Every night. I'm 5'8", and I'm not a small gal. But if some cook with a knife, or even without comes at me and I'm unarmed, I'm screwed. Cops don't go into these areas. To be blunt: if someone is trying to rape me, or steal from me, or assault me, chances are there isn't much I can do to stop them unarmed. I have a revolver (granted, a very small one) and that WILL stop them.

I am actually ok with the idea of a background check for handgun purchases. But making them out of reach entirely rubs me the wrong way.

Unfortunately I completely agree with you. Like Chas said I was just venting. Not about what should be done, but what should be.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-04-2014, 08:26 PM
(26-04-2014 05:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 04:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  OK, I re-read your post and I see that you were venting. I absolutely agree that the violence in U.S. society is not caused by guns, yet is sometimes exacerbated by guns.

There should be more uniform, practical, and effective regulation.
But what is really needed is better mental health care, better education, and better economic opportunity to address the root causes of the violence.

Agreed, and thank you. But also, we're not talking violence, but gun violence in particular. Gun violence is indeed exasberated by guns.

You can't separate gun violence from the context - that of violence in general.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2014, 08:45 PM
(26-04-2014 04:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 03:56 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Oh, you were suddenly making distinctions between long range vs close range? And here I thought you didn't bother with differences?

And at close range, my pistol is far more accurate :-)
Close range?
I'd say that if you are so close that you are trying to shoot yourself in the head then a handgun would be more accurate. a rife will be quite tricky for that.

But if you are shooting something else, say a frog at your feet then a rifle would be better, you could press the muzzle against the frog without having to bend over.

The advantage of a handgun is not its accuracy, the advantage is that it is easier to conceal and carry.

No, nimrod. Not at all. A pistol is far more accurate at close range than a rifle. That is- unless you have no idea how to shoot

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
26-04-2014, 10:49 PM
(26-04-2014 08:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 05:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Agreed, and thank you. But also, we're not talking violence, but gun violence in particular. Gun violence is indeed exasberated by guns.

You can't separate gun violence from the context - that of violence in general.

Well, you can actually. It all just depends on what context you wish to discuss. I smell what you're stepping in though.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-04-2014, 06:58 PM
(26-04-2014 08:45 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  No, nimrod. Not at all. A pistol is far more accurate at close range than a rifle. That is- unless you have no idea how to shoot

Debatable. A pistol might be faster to aim instinctively than a rifle, but it is still not in any sense more accurate.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
27-04-2014, 08:13 PM
(27-04-2014 06:58 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 08:45 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  No, nimrod. Not at all. A pistol is far more accurate at close range than a rifle. That is- unless you have no idea how to shoot

Debatable. A pistol might be faster to aim instinctively than a rifle, but it is still not in any sense more accurate.

Hey, Phaedrus. Where've you been?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-04-2014, 09:18 PM
(27-04-2014 08:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 06:58 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Debatable. A pistol might be faster to aim instinctively than a rifle, but it is still not in any sense more accurate.

Hey, Phaedrus. Where've you been?

Working, posting on other forums, teaching myself EE, masturbating. The usual. How've things been here?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
27-04-2014, 09:29 PM
(27-04-2014 09:18 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 08:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hey, Phaedrus. Where've you been?

Working, posting on other forums, teaching myself EE, masturbating. The usual. How've things been here?

Oh you know, the usual; bullshitting abound, interrupted occasionally by the occasional bouts of trollolol.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-04-2014, 11:39 AM
(26-04-2014 10:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 08:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  You can't separate gun violence from the context - that of violence in general.

Well, you can actually. It all just depends on what context you wish to discuss. I smell what you're stepping in though.

I'm not stepping in anything. I have made my position perfectly clear.

Let's try again: Guns do not cause violence. The presence of guns can make violence more deadly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user