Poll: Do you support the right to bear arms?
Yes
No
Keep Hunting Rifles Only
Pistols but not AR(s) + 3
Assualt Rifles + 3 & 4
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2012, 07:09 AM
RE: Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement
(14-08-2012 06:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have certainly never stated that reducing the number of guns wouldn't reduce the number of gun crimes, gun deaths, etc. That is pretty obvious.
What I do state is that reducing the number of guns does not substantially lower the number of violent crimes, deaths by violence, etc.

Again, total hogwash. You are never going to completely eradicate violent crimes or death by violence but you can't seriously claim that reducing the number of guns is not going to reduce the number of violent crimes or deaths by violence. How else do you explain the proportionately different statistics in violent crimes and death by violent between the US and the rest of the world? Obviously raw numbers are going to vary due to differences in the size of population, but when you break it down to a measurable scale, no one on the planet comes close to the US. Equally, no country on the planet has as many guns as the US. How else are you explaining that correlation? Because Americans, who have no single heritage or unifying culture, are inherently more violent than the rest of the world? I think not.

(14-08-2012 06:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  But you have not addressed the point I made about types of guns.

I thought I did in my initial post, but am happy to do so again.

I don't have a problem with guns, per se. I don't agree with outlawing guns altogether. I know people who hunt and people who keep guns in their house for protection (despite that fact that, statistically at least, you or a family member are dramatically more likely to be shot by that gun than an intruder - I mean unbelievably dramatically more likely). What I have an issue with is military style guns where you can fire of hundreds of shots a second and can reload in about 2 seconds. Military style weapons that have no use for hunting or home defense, that have only one real purpose, should not be sold to the general public. You have no legitimate need for an AK47. I could care less about ammo type or barrel length, to me that is a giant red herring. I care about how many shots you can get off in a given unit of time, and how quickly you can reload. How easy is it for you to carry out a Virginia Tech type of massacre. Unless you are trying to argue that an entire military division is breaking into your home, you simply do not need that type of fire power. And, your perceived "right" to have it should not trump the rights of the rest of us to not have to fear for our lives every time some loon on the verge of a psychotic break-down buys these weapons and loads up on 7,000 rounds of ammo he bought mail order. It is insane that we even are debating the legality of this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement - BnW - 14-08-2012 07:09 AM