Poll: Do you support the right to bear arms?
Yes
No
Keep Hunting Rifles Only
Pistols but not AR(s) + 3
Assualt Rifles + 3 & 4
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 06:59 AM
RE: Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement
Its all perception..... I carry a fixed blade Ontario, spec 2, USAF pilots survival knife. It has a black handle and a black sheath, and people freak out about it at times... yet we have a ton of hunters in camo wearing much bigger "Rambo" knives, and nobody flinchs.

Go figure. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
03-05-2014, 01:57 PM
(03-05-2014 06:59 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Its all perception..... I carry a fixed blade Ontario, spec 2, USAF pilots survival knife. It has a black handle and a black sheath, and people freak out about it at times... yet we have a ton of hunters in camo wearing much bigger "Rambo" knives, and nobody flinchs.

Go figure. Dodgy
Perhaps the hunters wear their knives on hunting trips and bring them out when they need to use them and maybe you carry your knife to a night club and place it on the table when someone starts disagreeing with you on something.

The context might be important here.
03-05-2014, 02:21 PM
(03-05-2014 01:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Perhaps the hunters wear their knives on hunting trips and bring them out when they need to use them and maybe you carry your knife to a night club and place it on the table when someone starts disagreeing with you on something.

WOW, talk about projecting and speculation......

And for the record, I dont do night clubs. Also, the last time I pulled the knife was to open a box of books. Dodgy

The last thing I would do is pull a knife because of a disagreement ( ya know, people have guns here) Drinking Beverage

I was mearly making a reference as to the appearance of the knife.

[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
03-05-2014, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 02:54 PM by Stevil.)
(03-05-2014 02:21 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 01:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Perhaps the hunters wear their knives on hunting trips and bring them out when they need to use them and maybe you carry your knife to a night club and place it on the table when someone starts disagreeing with you on something.

WOW, talk about projecting and speculation......

And for the record, I dont do night clubs. Also, the last time I pulled the knife was to open a box of books. Dodgy

The last thing I would do is pull a knife because of a disagreement ( ya know, people have guns here) Drinking Beverage

I wasn't suggesting that this is actually what you do.
I was suggesting that context is important with regards to why a person might be shocked to see someone with a knife.
I think people take into consideration the purpose for having something.
If a person has a knife for purposes other than hurting people i.e. for opening cans, for cutting food etc rather than cutting people (i.e. intimidation or self defence)
04-05-2014, 11:45 PM
(03-05-2014 02:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 02:21 PM)War Horse Wrote:  WOW, talk about projecting and speculation......

I wasn't suggesting that this is actually what you do.
I was suggesting that context is important with regards to why a person might be shocked to see someone with a knife.
I think people take into consideration the purpose for having something.
If a person has a knife for purposes other than hurting people i.e. for opening cans, for cutting food etc rather than cutting people (i.e. intimidation or self defence)

I don't think they do. I own several knives, and I've noticed distinct differences in peoples' reactions based on which knife I carry.

When I carry my Opinel No.6 people hardly seem to notice it. After all, it looks innocuous enough, right?

When I carry my Schrade SP3 some people get nervous when I take it out, if they haven't seen me use a knife before. It seems that the handle being made out of glass-fill nylon instead of wood makes it scarier... Even though the usable blade is shorter than the Opinel.

When I carry my Kershaw Blur, people can be really surprised when they first see me use it, especially if I open it full speed, which makes a *snap!* noise. People have made jokes like, "Wow, I was a little worried there!", etc. In reality, it's only about a quarter inch longer than the other two and not really more dangerous. I prefer carrying it in most circumstances in fact, because it's easier to open and holds an edge better.

I carry the Blur whenever I know I'll need a knife, like at work when I might need to open something in the warehouse. But when I go to LA (where the Kershaw is 3.15mm over the legal limit for a carry knife) or might be around someone who could be easily intimidated, I carry one of the other two.

Anyway, peoples' reactions to a knife don't seem to be based purely on the knives' utility as weapons, but more in response to its appearance.

To put it mathematically, the fear someone has for a knife seems to be logarithmically proportional to its utility as a weapon, and exponentially proportional to its visual similarity to knives used by villains in movies.

Unsurprisingly, the same relationship seems to hold for guns.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
05-05-2014, 02:25 AM
My knife, which I very rarely carry looks like this
[Image: 411BQ4C5ZVL.jpg]

I am always discrete when I take it out, so I don't know what people's reaction would be.

I think if people see that something has utility purpose then they aren't too worried. I think if someone is dressed up in bushman clothes then they think a bigger knife is "normal".
If someone pulls out a big knife that they carry around with them for no apparent reason then a person might start to wonder why this person carries a knife? Do they get into trouble often? Are they aggressive?

I think it is normal to be cautious of such things.
05-05-2014, 05:54 AM
This is what I carry in a belt sheath

[Image: ONSP2.jpg]

Tho you need to remember the type of people I'm around, especially when riding. That being said, I dont carry this on a daily basis when going about my business.

Most of the people that get shocked are unsuspecting civilians out slumming to have a few beers at the local watering holes, and also the RUBS that wanna play biker on the weekends.

But like I've said, I wouldnt use this for fighting, tho no doubt it has given more than a few pause to start some shit.... let them think what they want.

Now, would I use it if it was the last resort to protect myself ? Yes... tho I do have other resources at my disposal, that I would prefer to use (also less deadly).