Atheists In The Ancient World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2013, 03:53 PM
RE: Atheists In The Ancient World
(23-05-2013 08:48 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I'm sure every Atheist has had the infamous Psalm 14:1 quoted at them; "The Fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"

This interests me because I had no idea Atheism was widespread enough in ancient Israel for the Psalmist to make note of them.

Just how common was Atheism in those days?

An apologist was once asked in my presence why Atheism received scant mention in the Bible. "People were more intelligent in those days," he replied. Wink

... yeah, given all that I'd be sharing the pages with, I wouldn't want to be mentioned there either.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Atheists are not in the Bible because most of it was concerned with detailing mythological accounts of heroes who went around raping and pillaging anyone who didn't agree with them.
When you get to the new part of it, this was set in a backwater part of the world of the time.
Like today, you rarely find intellectuals in backwaters where you are likely to find life supremely uncomfortable.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
23-05-2013, 06:39 PM
(23-05-2013 06:20 PM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  Atheists are not in the Bible because most of it was concerned with detailing mythological accounts of heroes who went around raping and pillaging anyone who didn't agree with them.
When you get to the new part of it, this was set in a backwater part of the world of the time.
Like today, you rarely find intellectuals in backwaters where you are likely to find life supremely uncomfortable.

Like Mississippi!

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
28-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:Why is it your religion needs schools and departments full of those "apologizing" and not one science department, or hospital, or research department on the planet has an "apology" department ?

Apologia means "defense", but more like a football team's defense than some kind of um, what do you call them for a hospital, science foundation or research group? Oh yes, PUBLIC RELATIONS DEPARTMENTS.

Almost EVERY group heavily invested in healthcare or research has a PR department and teams of attorneys. Si?
28-05-2013, 08:24 PM
(28-05-2013 02:48 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Why is it your religion needs schools and departments full of those "apologizing" and not one science department, or hospital, or research department on the planet has an "apology" department ?

Apologia means "defense", but more like a football team's defense than some kind of um, what do you call them for a hospital, science foundation or research group? Oh yes, PUBLIC RELATIONS DEPARTMENTS.

Almost EVERY group heavily invested in healthcare or research has a PR department and teams of attorneys. Si?

But they're not trying to explain why they even "do" medicine and research. You people have to go back to square one, and attempt, (however unsuccessfully) to show your foundational premise is even true. No one is questioning whether "being" healthy" is good or valuable.

Nice try. Fail again Reverend. Stop "bothering us at work". (You at work, that means). Tongue Did someone appoint you "apostle to the atheists" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
29-05-2013, 10:55 AM
(22-05-2013 06:23 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  I'm sure every Atheist has had the infamous Psalm 14:1 quoted at them; "The Fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"

This interests me because I had no idea Atheism was widespread enough in ancient Israel for the Psalmist to make note of them.
Oh, is that what that means? I thought the atheist was a fool for saying so in his heart and not out loud for everyone to hear. Wink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair