Atheists In the Closet - Attn: Hyapatia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Atheists In the Closet - Attn: Hyapatia
I am not sure where to post this, as I didn't find the episode #135 thread. Hopefully Hyapatia will find this:

Hyapatia,

I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in being a conservative atheist. My wife and I are both conservative atheists. Please feel free to PM either myself or KatChase (my wife) if you wanted to chat about the challenges and resources we have found.

Josh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like joshChase's post
07-12-2013, 06:50 PM
RE: Atheists In the Closet - Attn: Hyapatia
I am truly struggling right now. I am no longer a believer but my family is full of believers. They have no idea of my true position. I cannot even imagine telling my mother. It would simply crush her. I dread having "the conversation" with her.

I've been spending a great deal of time searching for more information on how to work through this. I'd love to hear how you have worked through it.
21-12-2013, 12:35 AM
(07-12-2013 06:50 PM)isisosborne Wrote:  I am truly struggling right now. I am no longer a believer but my family is full of believers. They have no idea of my true position. I cannot even imagine telling my mother. It would simply crush her. I dread having "the conversation" with her.

I've been spending a great deal of time searching for more information on how to work through this. I'd love to hear how you have worked through it.

I think what I will do is ask my wife to speak to this, as she comes from a far more similar situation to yours than I.
22-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm also a fairly new conservative atheist. It was helpful for me to find some new friends using the meetup.com groups.
08-09-2014, 03:12 PM
(17-11-2013 09:50 PM)joshChase Wrote:  I am not sure where to post this, as I didn't find the episode #135 thread. Hopefully Hyapatia will find this:

Hyapatia,

I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in being a conservative atheist. My wife and I are both conservative atheists. Please feel free to PM either myself or KatChase (my wife) if you wanted to chat about the challenges and resources we have found.

Josh

"we are here! We Are Here!! WE ARE HERE!!!"

Post away...I called Seth because I am genuinely afraid to step into the light until a few personal milestones are met.

Thank you for reaching out.

I have fine tuned what I call my "STRAY-dar" for other believers who have strayed from the fold. I can see them in crowds with such accuracy lately that I am scaring myself with my forwardness.

The best advice I can give the still closeted and lonely is to KNOW THY SELF...because when you KNOW what you believe and you KNOW what you don't believe---THE SUBTLE TRAITS BECOME OBVIOUS IN OTHERS.

I am still lonely for good beer buddy company to shoot the shit with in real time around a well laid dinner table...but I am managing. Y'all help, but I have only been able to engage here a few times since my call. I have been asked to help with our local efforts to keep ID out of our school system---it is baying at the door and someone---"SOMEONE" has to do something QUICKLY--so my online "free" time has been put to good use.

Please y'all... start MEET-UP groups in your neighborhood---use GOOD TAGS on your page---think HARD about what YOU goggled when you were looking for others who have "strayed"...ex-christian, ex-baptist, etc...because sometimes not all of us are capital A, "Atheists".

LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND GO HUNTING FOR YOURSELF because WE ARE HERE.

Heart
[+] 2 users Like Hypatia's post
08-09-2014, 04:14 PM
(08-09-2014 03:12 PM)Hypatia Wrote:  
(17-11-2013 09:50 PM)joshChase Wrote:  I am not sure where to post this, as I didn't find the episode #135 thread. Hopefully Hyapatia will find this:

Hyapatia,

Josh

Post away...I called Seth because I am genuinely afraid to step into the light until a few personal milestones are met.

I have fine tuned what I call my "STRAY-dar" for other believers who have strayed from the fold. I can see them in crowds with such accuracy lately that I am scaring myself with my forwardness.

The best advice I can give the still closeted and lonely is to KNOW THY SELF...because when you KNOW what you believe and you KNOW what you don't believe---THE SUBTLE TRAITS BECOME OBVIOUS IN OTHERS.

I am still lonely for good beer buddy company to shoot the shit with in real time around a well laid dinner table...but I am managing. Y'all help, but I have only been able to engage here a few times since my call. I have been asked to help with our local efforts to keep ID out of our school system---it is baying at the door and someone---"SOMEONE" has to do something QUICKLY--so my online "free" time has been put to good use.

Please y'all... start MEET-UP groups in your neighborhood---use GOOD TAGS on your page---think HARD about what YOU goggled when you were looking for others who have "strayed"...ex-christian, ex-baptist, etc...because sometimes not all of us are capital A, "Atheists".

Heart

It seriously took you a whole year (almost) to find this thread?LaughatWink
08-09-2014, 04:36 PM
(08-09-2014 03:12 PM)Hypatia Wrote:  

Hyapatia,

Josh

Heart

Welcome to our community!

Many of us are in the closet (myself included). This place has proved invaluable to me. Heart

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Every person must find their own way, for me (the son of two ministers) living in a closet is being untrue to myself, thus untrue to my family. My family deserves to know I love them, whether they believe in delusion or not. That love includes being honest with one another, for love should always conquer all. If not, then it wasn't true love. Parental/familial love shouldn't come with strings attached. "I will only love you if you believe in the same religion I do, or vote for the same politician I do" etc.

My parents know, and they always preface things with, 'I know you don't believe, but today in church blah blah blah" and i nod my head politely and then change the subject. I realize they can't help it, they are ate up with it, it is their very lives..this ridiculous fabricated complex and artfully sold lie.

Be true to yourself, you will live happier in the long run. Those who love you will come to understand, or find a way to deal with it if they intend to stay in your life, outside of conflict.

I wish you all the best.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
12-09-2014, 11:41 AM
The only person in the room with the tackle to bear witness to FACTS can be lonely business.

After a while the staggering weight of passive oppression begins to get you down because you can't see a time when you will ever be treated BETTER than you are right now, as a closeted Atheist, going along with the game. Believers ridicule "those heathens" right to your face, assuming they could never actually KNOOOW one...like as...IN PERSON. Like racist jokes shared around a table of "like-minded" friends, you shrink further back into the shadows fearing what life will become when you aren't even invited to the table, and they heap ridicule in your excluded absence.

Sometimes I take comfort in my solitude. Rather than dwelling on the single thing that makes me different in a group, I use my godless viewpoint to dissect EVERY INTERACTION around me in a game-like coping mechanism. I silently laugh AT the faith-fogged, not WITH them.

My decision to remain closeted for this finite time has made for some entertaining wedding and funeral obligations. Don't even get me started about the whole new lens I train on the Bible Soaked Bleacher Moms.

This stealthy pose has led to some very large acts of kindness on my part being hailed as "very Christian" of me. I almost GAG when I hear that, but I tuck it away for the day when I come out as the free-thinker.

OH HAPPY DAY WHEN THEY HAVE TO RECONCILE WHAT I AM AND WHAT THEY HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT I WAS! That keeps me preeeetty warm when the fire burns low.
12-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Just remember what xtians did to the real Hypatia.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]