Atheists In the Closet - Attn: Hyapatia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 01:03 PM
RE: Atheists In the Closet - Attn: Hyapatia
My wife and I are both closet Atheists. My close neighbors are devoted Christians. Their lives revolve around their religion. We have nothing to gain from making known our religious belief.

I am also a Christianity-supporting Atheist. There are two major opposing religious powers in this world, Christianity and Islam, that are fighting for the souls of humanity. Atheism does not play a role in the war between Christianity and Islam.

Therefore, I feel that hiding my Atheism, while supporting Christianity, makes me feel that, at least, I am on the side of the better of two evils, so to speak.

Is there free will in Heaven? Do "souls" age in Heaven? What if you get to Heaven, for an eternity, and find it boring and tedious and torturous, especially without booze or sex? And... what if you can't get along with God?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 01:11 PM
With respect I entirely disagree with your stance - Religion is about power - give them an inch and they take a mile - no matter what stripe they are...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
03-01-2015, 01:47 PM
(03-01-2015 01:03 PM)Machaon Wrote:  My wife and I are both closet Atheists. My close neighbors are devoted Christians. Their lives revolve around their religion. We have nothing to gain from making known our religious belief.

The more out atheists there are the less stigmatized the position will be and the more others will question why they believe. I am NOT saying that all atheists should be public, only that if you can be then it can only help in the long run.

Quote:I am also a Christianity-supporting Atheist. There are two major opposing religious powers in this world, Christianity and Islam, that are fighting for the souls of humanity. Atheism does not play a role in the war between Christianity and Islam.

Therefore, I feel that hiding my Atheism, while supporting Christianity, makes me feel that, at least, I am on the side of the better of two evils, so to speak.

In what ways do you actually support Christianity?

I don't see why we should have either and I don't see any reason to try to choose the lesser evil. Both need to go. It makes sense to pick your battles and I can understand remaining closeted but I do not understand "supporting" either one (or most any other existent religion for that matter).

god [god] n. placeholder for an unknown agent, cause, or explanation
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
04-01-2015, 01:46 PM
The "lesser of two evils" ...?

Must be horrible to choose between two things which both want one either dead or available for slavery.

I wouldn't want to be a part of any evil ... less or otherwise. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post