Atheists. Please answer these questions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 04:23 PM by Atheist_pilgrim.)
RE: Atheists. Please answer these questions.
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

Depends on the context. Are they:

1) praying I'll re-accept Christ as my Savior?
2) saying they have some sort of "word of knowledge" about me that needs divine intervention?
3) trying to break off a conversation/debate?
4) genuinely concerned about an issue or tragedy in my life?
5) patronizing me?
6) praying for something/someone to happen to me that I want no part of?
7) trying to cast demons off of me or "bind oppressive spirits?"
8) praying for my protection when I'm going into a dangerous situation?
9) Delivering a sermon in the guise of a prayer?

Of course, I'd be more receptive to one with a good reputation, but in the case of the person with the poor rep, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and therefore the douchebag may deserve the benefit of the doubt if they are trying to offer genuine comfort...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
16-04-2013, 02:59 PM
I love and respect my family, but I can't help but think they're being silly when they talk outloud to the ceiling. So it doesn't matter to me if it is you praying or Egor praying. Both are acts of delusion, which is not an easy thing to embrace. I can't even thank the person who is praying because they've literally done nothing. If the Christian has thoughts and words of compassion, then say them to me, not to thin air. Otherwise you're just going to get an eye-roll and it depends on how I feel about the person whether I show my eye-rolling or not. Rolleyes

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I receive it in the intention in was given. Same if someone compliments me on something I don't agree with (nice hair, but it's a bad hair day) or gives me a gift I don't want or need. Same thing. Thank them and carry on.

Gifts, and prayers, can be given sarcastically, too. For example if someone is a bad cook so their inlaws give them a cookbook (ha ha- but hurtful).

Egor's prayer feels like a back handed slap.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
16-04-2013, 03:07 PM
(16-04-2013 03:05 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I receive it in the intention in was given. Same if someone compliments me on something I don't agree with (nice hair, but it's a bad hair day) or gives me a gift I don't want or need. Same thing. Thank them and carry on.

Gifts, and prayers, can be given sarcastically, too. For example if someone is a bad cook so their inlaws give them a cookbook (ha ha- but hurtful).

So does your bad hair. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-04-2013, 03:10 PM
(16-04-2013 03:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 03:05 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I receive it in the intention in was given. Same if someone compliments me on something I don't agree with (nice hair, but it's a bad hair day) or gives me a gift I don't want or need. Same thing. Thank them and carry on.

So does your bad hair. Drinking Beverage

No, that feels like a lions mane.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
16-04-2013, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 03:17 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
By offer a prayer, do you mean that they are offering to perform it in front of me or are they going to do it in private and they just tell me "I'll pray for you?" If it's the former, I would politely reject it, for I have no interest in observing a detailed prayer before me, and it would kind of make me uncomfortable since it isn't really behavior that I view as sane per se. If it is the latter, I will just silently nod, since quite frankly, if they are willing to take the time out of the day to care for my well-being, no matter how misguided or platitudinal I might find it, why should I berate them for it? And if they aren't actually going to take the time out of the day the think about me and it really was just a platitude, then why should I give a shit? It wasn't like I was expecting them to do it in the first place, and if they actually did, well then good for them. However, if they say "I'll pray for you" when there is actually a much more direct way in which they can help me, yes I will confront them on it then.

[Image: giphy.gif]
16-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I'd probably just throw some sarky comment out in both cases... but I do that during every interaction with another human anyway.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
16-04-2013, 03:20 PM
(16-04-2013 03:18 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I'd probably just throw some sarky comment out in both cases... but I do that during every interaction with another human anyway.

frankie, nobody prays for you. They just beg to be let out of your basement. Drinking Beverage

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-04-2013, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 06:40 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

I pretty much handle it the same way...if I believe someone is being sincere and they're standing in front of me, I accept it graciously and will sincerely thank them. If something bad happened in my life and you offered prayers..I'd react the same way.

If someone I didn't respect or care about much offered prayers I'd try hard to believe their sincerity, but deep down I'd question it. Nevertheless I'd accept it graciously and thank them.

I do try to look for the best in people (even if people think I don't).

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-04-2013, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 04:47 PM by Peanut.)

I don't think that prayer works; I tend to ignore it, regardless from whom it comes.

I have three close friends, two of whom are Christian. They know that I don't believe, and they don't badger me about it. BUT, when I lost someone close to me, I went to them for support. (They ARE my best friends...) BOTH of them said they'd, "pray for me." I smiled and accepted because I was at my lowest point emotionally in regards to that loved one's death. By "accepted," I meant that I didn't roll my eyes. I made this face Confused, but I also smiled and realized that's what they do. That is what they do when someone is going through a tough time. I didn't have some magical calmness come over me, but the thought that they said they'd pray AND the fact that I truly believed they were genuine and they weren't doing it to try and convert me, I appreciated it.

When someone says they will pray for someone else, (or a group of people) I get uncomfortable: Are they GENUINELY praying for another person in hopes they will heal/overcome a trying time? Or are they doing it to get a reaction from another? (Sympathy, attention, etc.)

When a religious person says they will pray for me SOLELY because I'm an atheist, I get defensive. Why must you pray for me? I can't be sentenced to an eternity in Hell, because I don't believe in it. I'm a good person and I treat others with respect and compassion.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King