Atheists. Please answer these questions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: Atheists. Please answer these questions.
Someone wanting to pray for me comes in two forms.

1) The person wants to "help" me with something. (Exp: Feeling sick, Stressful time, etc)

or

2) They want me to find god or something along those lines.

I find both to be terribly insulting.

If you want to help me with something then do something to help me! Don't just say a prayer to make YOURSELF feel better. Also trying to pray to force me to do something you want me to do, as in the second example, is horrible and says a lot about you as a person.

So no. I don't appreciate it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Totally depends on the situation and who it is.

Is it a friend? An acquaintance? Someone I have never met before?

I was nice about it after my husband died and people drove me absolutely crazy with the religious comments and offers to pray. Even though it made me just want to scream. They meant well, I wasn't going to make them feel bad for trying to be nice.

I have a friend who prays for me regularly. She mentions it, I just say thanks and change the subject. My aunt prays for me too, she thinks I am a deist but not a catholic. It's no good if you are not catholic. I never said anything either way, she's going on 90 years old and if it makes her feel good to pray for me, so be it. She also has mass read once a year for my (atheist) parents.

On the other hand, when I caught some Jehovah's witnesses in my yard trying to get my husband to pray with them, I kicked them out unceremoniously. Hubby got a kick out of that, lol.

So it depends on who and why.

If you ask me, praying is a very selfish thing. It releases hormones that are calming, same way as chanting and running and hot foods etc. do. And if you pray for someone else, you get to feel righteous and you get brownies for it from your god. It is definitely not an altruistic thing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-04-2013, 03:34 PM
(16-04-2013 03:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 03:18 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I'd probably just throw some sarky comment out in both cases... but I do that during every interaction with another human anyway.

frankie, nobody prays for you. They just beg to be let out of your basement. Drinking Beverage

True, but I like to pretend.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
16-04-2013, 03:42 PM
(16-04-2013 03:33 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Someone wanting to pray for me comes in two forms.

1) The person wants to "help" me with something. (Exp: Feeling sick, Stressful time, etc)

or

If you want to help me with something then do something to help me! Don't just say a prayer to make YOURSELF feel better. Also trying to pray to force me to do something you want me to do, as in the second example, is horrible and says a lot about you as a person.

I dunno...not everyone is in a position to offer "real" help...I look at "prayers" as the same as "hugs" or "thinking of you".

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-04-2013, 03:43 PM
(16-04-2013 03:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 03:33 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Someone wanting to pray for me comes in two forms.

or

I dunno...not everyone is in a position to offer "real" help...I look at "prayers" as the same as "hugs" or "thinking of you".

Then they can say that to me, and not pray. I'd much rather have advice, or words of love over prayer. If that makes sense.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-04-2013, 03:45 PM
(16-04-2013 03:43 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 03:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno...not everyone is in a position to offer "real" help...I look at "prayers" as the same as "hugs" or "thinking of you".

Then they can say that to me, and not pray. I'd much rather have advice, or words of love over prayer. If that makes sense.

It does make sense. Smile

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-04-2013, 04:02 PM
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

1) Well I'd say don't bother you're just gonna be talking to yourself.
But it would depend on what they were offering the prayer for, if it was the "I don't have anything intelligent to say so say I'll pray for you as a nice way of saying fuck you!" Then I'd tell them were to go.
If it was the equivalent of you'll be in my thoughts, say after a tragic event such as a death in the family I'd say thanks, even though I'd know it is essentially a meaningless phrase.

2) see above.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
16-04-2013, 04:04 PM
(16-04-2013 04:02 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

1) Well I'd say don't bother you're just gonna be talking to yourself.
But it would depend on what they were offering the prayer for, if it was the "I don't have anything intelligent to say so say I'll pray for you as a nice way of saying fuck you!"

I'm praying for you. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-04-2013, 04:09 PM
(16-04-2013 04:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm praying for you. Drinking Beverage

Go play with traffic Drinking Beverage

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
16-04-2013, 04:11 PM
(16-04-2013 04:09 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 04:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm praying for you. Drinking Beverage

Go play with traffic Drinking Beverage

I'm too busy playing with myself. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post