Atheists. Please answer these questions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 04:17 PM
RE: Atheists. Please answer these questions.
(16-04-2013 04:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm too busy playing with myself. Drinking Beverage

In traffic?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
16-04-2013, 05:00 PM
(16-04-2013 02:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'd thank the person for being concerned about me in both cases.

Ditto

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
16-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Hates it! It burnses us! Evil_monster

It's a straight insult as far as I'm concerned.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-04-2013, 05:42 PM
For me it depends on the person and circumstance. If it's said by someone who doesn't know I'm an atheist I'd just give a small smile and leave it at that, unless they try to take hold of my hand to join them in the process, in which case I would likely snatch my hand back and walk away. If it were said by someone who knows I am an atheist I would very insulted. It shows they have absolutely no respect for my belief system and suggests a definite attitude of superiority on their part. It's always bothered me that some people that have been in my life have never understood that my NON-BELIEF is just as strong for me as their BELIEF is for them.
[+] 1 user Likes Lulu344's post
16-04-2013, 05:49 PM
It entirely depends on my mood.

Irrespective of the pray-er's motive / intent, the response varies between...
Dodgy and Laughat.

The exception is the professional child-abuser...
a buddhist monk might get a Angry
a catholic priest might get a

[Image: CompetitiveSpitTakes0617-cropped-proto-c...-20619.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-04-2013, 06:30 PM
I think if the prayer was coming from the like of someone outlined as number one, I would be under the impression that they really didn't "mean" anything with the prayer and that maybe they were doing it for completely selfish reasons to make themselves feel better. I would probably tastefully and tactfully let them know that I was a non believer and that I thought they were wasting both of our times.

If it was someone outlined as number two and that person was a close acquaintance or friend of mine I would probably let them go ahead with the prayer, provided they didn't make me repeat any of it and then just simply thank them. If they honestly felt that they were helping me or that their prayer might make a difference, I wouldn't want to take that away from them. Depending on the circumstance that person might feel that prayer was the only help they could offer and I would appreciate the fact they felt the need to do something, no matter how little I thought it was going to help.
16-04-2013, 07:05 PM
In either case I'd probably just roll my eyes and let them do what they need to; after all, it's really for them, not me.

Unless it's the type of insensitive asshole who'd post this:

(16-04-2013 04:36 PM)Egor Wrote:  And Martin Richard should have lived, why?

In that case, I might tell him to take his self-absorbed, un-Christian piety and shove it up his egotist ass.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
16-04-2013, 10:45 PM
(16-04-2013 02:58 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  Depends on the context. Are they:

1) praying I'll re-accept Christ as my Savior?
2) saying they have some sort of "word of knowledge" about me that needs divine intervention?
3) trying to break off a conversation/debate?
4) genuinely concerned about an issue or tragedy in my life?
5) patronizing me?
6) praying for something/someone to happen to me that I want no part of?
7) trying to cast demons off of me or "bind oppressive spirits?"
8) praying for my protection when I'm going into a dangerous situation?
9) Delivering a sermon in the guise of a prayer?

Of course, I'd be more receptive to one with a good reputation, but in the case of the person with the poor rep, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and therefore the douchebag may deserve the benefit of the doubt if they are trying to offer genuine comfort...

^ Yeah, I agree that all of this is important. If something seems genuinely concerned about something (like if I was sick, and they were praying for me to feel better) I might act like I appreciate the thought. Maybe I'm cynical, but I'm of the opinion that most of the time when someone says they'll pray for you or pray about something, they don't actually do it. So in my mind, when someone says they'll pray for me, they are saying they'll do something useless and probably not even doing that worthless thing, which means the emphasis is on them saying they will pray. Like, just putting it out there to be irritating and more religious than me. But at the end of the day, I don't want anyone praying for me, nor do I want anyone pretending that they'll pray for me.

It also depends how well the person knows me. If they don't, I'll just say thanks and forget about it. If they know me well, I'll probably be pissed off.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Smile RE: Atheists. Please answer these questions.
I actually don't believe 99.999999 % of people pray at all. It's just a euphemism, for "I wish you well", and in fact recently many many more people purposely do NOT say it. They just say "my thoughts are with you".

Now if they actually want to get up, and chant the night office with the monks for me, THAT might be something to think about. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2013, 10:56 PM
(16-04-2013 10:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I actually don't believe 99.999999 % of people pray at all. It's just a euphemism, for "I wish you well", and in fact recently many many more people purposely do NOT say it. They just say "my thoughts are with you".

Now if they actually want to get up, and chant the night office with the monks for me, THAT might be something to think about. Tongue

I woulda thought you'd be happy to have someone down on their knees for you. Angel

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel