Atheists. Please answer these questions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 10:58 PM
RE: Atheists. Please answer these questions.
It doesn't matter who the person is; praying is a futile effort, because nobody "out there" is listening. Therefore, I dismiss it as the act of self-directed-conversation that it is.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
16-04-2013, 11:00 PM
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?
Okay. I realize I just kinda generalized in my post and I didn't DIRECTLY answer your question... I will post a new response Big Grin

1) If someone says they will pray for me, and they have a "poor" reputation, I will regard that prayer as though they might be trying to condescend to me and my views. I wouldn't believe them. (I thought of a certain forum member when I read your OP.) I tend to assume that they are somehow trying to just "offend" me by saying they will pray for me. This is ESPECIALLY true when they know I don't believe; Do they think they are insulting me? (Because if I happened to get insulted by their prayer, their response would be something like, "But I'm being NICE to you. I CARE about you. It's not my fault you don't know how to respond to kindness." *bleh*

2) If someone says they will pray for me, and they have a "good" reputation, I will smile and nod. I probably wouldn't say "thank you" to them, because I'd feel as though...well... they didn't do anything. But I respect them enough to appreciate that they genuinely care about me and I also know they ACTUALLY believe they are doing good. (That's all they've known their whole life.)

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
16-04-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure if this really adds anything to the conversation or not, but maybe puts my feelings on the matter into perspective.

A while ago my father was going in for a double bypass. Not a huge deal these days, pretty routine for the surgeon plus dad's in relatively good health to begin with (minus the clogged arteries). Prayers were asked for as my family is pretty religious.

I believe in prayer as much as any of you. Not one ounce of me thought any difference might be made in doing so. I didn't tell anyone that I would pray for him, didn't even respond to the request.

I still said a prayer.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-04-2013, 11:30 PM
(16-04-2013 11:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm not sure if this really adds anything to the conversation or not, but maybe puts my feelings on the matter into perspective.

A while ago my father was going in for a double bypass. Not a huge deal these days, pretty routine for the surgeon plus dad's in relatively good health to begin with (minus the clogged arteries). Prayers were asked for as my family is pretty religious.

I believe in prayer as much as any of you. Not one ounce of me thought any difference might be made in doing so. I didn't tell anyone that I would pray for him, didn't even respond to the request.

I still said a prayer.

Its funny, I did that for a long time...then when my father in law got very ill...it had been a horrible year and that was just like this final straw...yanno?

Anyway, after he passed away, and we were beyond the funeral and helping out my mother in law...I suddenly realized I hadn't prayed. The whole year...for anything. Some things worked out better than I had hoped (like with my kiddo), other things didn't but I hadn't paused once to pray...and it was ok...The good things still happened...The bad things...well I coped with them the same as I had when I believed god was giving me strength...

It was a cathartic moment for me. Now it's not something I think about unless someone else mentions prayers.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-04-2013, 02:24 AM
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

I don't know what the praying person's reputation has to do with anything. Prayer is silly. A person asking own imaginary friend to do stuff on my behalf doesn't mean that stuff will happen, and if it does coincidentally happen, it doesn't mean the prayer caused it.

(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

Same answer.

if there is any difference, it's that in the first case I might think something like "Well, that guy's a schmuck so I guess I'm not surprised he's delusional too." Unless the guy was also an asshole or something, then I might be surprised that such a person would offer prayers on behalf of someone else.

In the second case, I might think something like "Aww, crud, I thought rather highly of that guy, too bad he just revealed that my opinion might have been too lofty."

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
17-04-2013, 02:53 AM
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

I suppose this means that this prayer is oriented with the theist saying"You don't know how stupid you are, I'll pray for you that find God", something in that way. I know that anyone who says that are only after to satisfy their own ego, by thinking that one day they will be able to point a finger and say "ha ha, I was right! don't say i didn't pray for you". I would give anyone like that a middlefinger and ignore the rest.

(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

If a theist says they will pray for me because I did something they liked, I would just say okay, sure, and walk away and not think of it any further. Do not offend unless offended, I think that works for me.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
17-04-2013, 02:58 AM
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

I gotta say, I'm pretty indifferent about a persons reputation in my interactions personally with other people though I do get annoyed by religions, for reasons currently unclear me...

I'd like to think that I would reply to an "I'll pray for you" with something along the lines of "Do whatever you want, but I'd hate to think somebody is talking to them-self about me."

I have not, to my knowledge, been the recipient of a prayer or a prayer offer, so I cannot speak from experience, only what I would like to say.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-04-2013, 05:37 AM
I just look uncomfortable.
17-04-2013, 08:57 AM
(16-04-2013 11:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm not sure if this really adds anything to the conversation or not, but maybe puts my feelings on the matter into perspective.

I still said a prayer.

Forgive me, but I don't understand. Was this something you did aloud to please your family? Did you just think in your head "I don't really believe in you God, but if I'm wrong, please let Daddy make it through!" I'm sorry, I don't get an atheist who prays. Prays to what? Perhaps you are an agnostic? That's make way more sense. I knew an agnostic who prayed before every meal, and to me that was pretty weird, but I don't see how you can pray as an atheist.

I ain't knockin' ya', I'm just completely bewildered and perplexed, even under these circumstances..

17-04-2013, 09:25 AM
How come you're not responding to all this, KC? I wanna give you more shit. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user