Atheists. Please answer these questions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 09:27 AM
RE: Atheists. Please answer these questions.
(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

Hitchens talks about this in "Mortality"

Basically, it doesn't matter who says they are praying for me, I don't care. I would simply ask them what they are praying for specifically though.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 10:10 AM
With apologies, I'm seeing this thread for the first time and wanted to respond for myself first, then see what everyone else wrote. I know I run the risk of repeating what others have said, but I hope you'll all forgive me for that.

(16-04-2013 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is about prayers. And, about the pray-er. Are you inclined to be more receptive to a prayer based on the person praying?

1) Let's say a person has a poor reputation as a person, an individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer. Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Ignore it?

Are you asking if he wants to pray out loud over me? I politely decline with a "as much as I appreciate it, I'd prefer it if you kept your thoughts between you and God." If that's what he was going to do in the first place, then I express my appreciation for the kind thoughts. Under normal circumstances, I would see no need to make an issue of it.

Quote:2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

I don't think my answer changes based on my judgment of the character of the person doing the praying.

Off to read others' responses!
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
17-04-2013, 10:25 AM
(17-04-2013 09:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  How come you're not responding to all this, KC? I wanna give you more shit. Angel

lol not much to say.

When someone answers the question, that's pretty much the period.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-04-2013, 10:27 AM
(17-04-2013 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  How come you're not responding to all this, KC? I wanna give you more shit. Angel

lol not much to say.

Evasion. Typical theist bullshit. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-04-2013, 07:04 PM
(17-04-2013 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

lol not much to say.

Yabut, what is YOUR answer to the questions? Hmmm?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
17-04-2013, 07:32 PM

2) Likewise, how do you respond to someone who has a positive reputation as a person, and individual, and as a Christian offers you a prayer? Do you immediately reject it? Embrace it? Or ignore it?

Ignore it, ignore it. Respond, "Thanks," or something and forget it. It's about as meaningful as a like on Facebook, perhaps less.

Unless they're praying *because* I'm an atheist and they're obnoxious about it, in which case I would tell them to fuck off.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
17-04-2013, 07:39 PM
In both cases they can pray for whatever they want, doesn't mean a thing to me.
However, this is how I might react to each case:

1. Praying certainly doesn't affect their reputation. Instead, it reminds me that the planet is absolutely covered with lazy, unimaginative fools, who would rather do nothing about a problem than attempt to fix it.

2. Praying may negatively impact my view of this person, if I had previously thought they were intelligent.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
17-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Atheists. Please answer these questions.
Pretty much what Vosur said (all hail Vosur, Lord of the Hive Mind.....nnnnnnnn).

I try to be very careful because the majority of theists I know are family. As to folks who I generally consider with disdain, these must be few because I can think of none at the moment. I usually try not to judge folks too harshly.

Oh wait, I thought of one: Pat Robertson. I might kick him in the nuts.
[+] 6 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
17-04-2013, 08:22 PM
RE: Atheists. Please answer these questions three, 'ere the other side you see.
Blue.

Thanks for asking KC. I have a prominent concern with your two questions.

The focus is on prayer - a religious act. Whether or not I like the person will not keep my mind from rejecting it. If I'm comfortable enough with the person (whether I like them or not) I might openly say it. If I'm not, I'll probably ignore it by changing the subject awkwardly and embracing as in "thanks for the offer, but I don't believe in the power of prayer" would be said depending on if I'm comfortable or not with the person (whether I like them or not).

A religious act is a religious act. What makes you think/feel the reputation has anything to do with how I would react?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]