Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Star Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military
April 26, 2011
Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military
By JAMES DAO

[Image: ATHEIST-1-articleLarge.jpg]
A meeting of the Military Atheists and Secular Humanists convened at the home of Sgt. Rachel Medley near Fort Bragg, N.C.
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — In the military, there are more than 3,000 chaplains who minister to the spiritual and emotional needs of active duty troops, regardless of their faiths. The vast majority are Christians, a few are Jews or Muslims, one is a Buddhist. A Hindu, possibly even a Wiccan may join their ranks soon.

But an atheist?

Strange as it sounds, groups representing atheists and secular humanists are pushing for the appointment of one of their own to the chaplaincy, hoping to give voice to what they say is a large — and largely underground — population of nonbelievers in the military. (Full Article)
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 04:41 PM
RE: Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military
what would an atheist chaplain do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 04:57 PM

I'd venture to say provide support for what is a large population of non-believers in a Military industrial complex wherein the majority in service are Theists. And to help put a stop to discrimination against atheist, as seems to be the case for atheists in the Military. (LINK)
28-04-2011, 05:43 PM
You always find the oddest stories GK.

After reading a little bit more into it, it seems that a military Chaplin has a rather diluted religious role.

Quote:Joining the chaplain corps is part of a broader campaign by atheists to win official acceptance in the military. Such recognition would make it easier for them to raise money and meet on military bases. It would help ensure that chaplains, religious or atheist, would distribute their literature, advertise their events and advocate for them with commanders.

It seems that there has become a lot more to be a military Chaplin then just spouting religious stuff. And I'm sure that after dealing with the stress of being a solider, it's be nice to be able to talk to someone on it all that shares your same belief so you can have a better understanding of each other going in. I'm kind of winging it here, and I'd love to here from some of our military atheists here, but I can take a wild guess and say that being a solider isn't stress free. And I can imagine that in times of extreme stress, when you're left thinking about the bigger question, not having god crammed down your throat would be a plus. And then there's the whole better unity thing that comes with it, another plus.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM

This could stand as cause for atheist Chaplains role in the Military.

Atheists seek footing at MacDill

St.Petersburg Times
By William R. Levesque, Times Staff Writer
Friday, April 29, 2011