Atheists Showing Their Butts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Atheists Showing Their Butts
"When I was a kid, people had this phrase, “to show your butt,” which meant “to make an obnoxious ass of yourself.” The American Atheists organization is suing to prevent the “9/11 Cross,” a cruciform portion of girder that fell into the pile of wreckage when the World Trade Center collapsed, from being part of the 9/11 museum display on the site. "

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/d...heir-butt/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 06:56 AM
RE: Atheists Showing Their Butts
(17-08-2012 06:47 AM)Jeff Wrote:  "When I was a kid, people had this phrase, “to show your butt,” which meant “to make an obnoxious ass of yourself.” The American Atheists organization is suing to prevent the “9/11 Cross,” a cruciform portion of girder that fell into the pile of wreckage when the World Trade Center collapsed, from being part of the 9/11 museum display on the site. "

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/d...heir-butt/

Objecting to its inclusion is butt-showing.

Care must be taken to make sure any commentary included doesn't cross the line, so to speak.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2012, 07:37 AM
The whole 9/11 cross is silly but it has taken on higher meaning to a lot of people. (1) There were thousands of T sections in each building so I am sure there are even more than just that one and (2) that there was some divine element in it doesn't make sense if the diety allowed the tragedy to occur in the first place but then chooses to give us a twisted metal symbol?

A memorial is built to help us remember important people/events. The cross means a lot to a lot of people. I don't have an issue with it personally. This just makes atheists look bad.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
17-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Religion is here right now whether we like it or not. I think atheist attention should be focused on the bigger things and worry about the smaller ones down the road in due time. Therefore, I choose to live with some of the smaller things like "In God We Trust" on coins, etc. and I think this 911 cross is just another one of those. It's impossible to take on everything all at once and we have to choose our battles. In some ways, because that cross holds some significance in the minds of believers, it truly is historically relevant. So I think it's best to let this one go. That said, I don't agree that objecting to it amounts to atheists showing their butts. To me, that claim is just another one of those desperate non-arguments designed to distract from any real rationale discussion on the subject.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
17-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I feel like atheists should stay out of issues like this. Let the offended other religions fight these battles if they so choose.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 4 users Like germanyt's post
17-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Three thoughts on the article and the video:

1. Regarding David Silverman, Pres. of American Atheists - I have yet to see this guy come off well in any TV interview. He needs major PR help.

2. In the body of the article it quotes a source (I'm not clear on where it's from) but it says "They said the display of the cross ... is no different from the showing of hundreds of religious paintings routinely displayed at government-supported art museums." That argument is BS. The cross is wreckage. Presumably the "hundreds of religious paintings" are considered to have merit as art, and THAT is why they are in a museum, government funded or otherwise.

3. As pointed out previously, I agree that the cross took on some notable history when it became the altar for prayer among the crews, so I think that's the basis for legitimately including it in the display.
17-08-2012, 08:49 AM
(17-08-2012 07:37 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  ... if the diety allowed the tragedy to occur in the first place

Yes he did.

You're just thinking of the wrong deity.

17-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I would let the cross go up and then use it as a reminder of what your god failed to do.
Let the cross become known as a symbol of failure.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Wait! Could it be possible that not a single one of those 3000 people was an Atheist? Gee, I'm tempted to make a new post in the conspiracy section of the forum. Dodgy
____

I'm very certain there were many non-Theists who perished in those buildings.

I don't care one way or the other about any piece of the buildings being displayed. I enjoy many "monumental" sculpture, as well, I enjoy much "found object" sculpture. No matter how much I understand and appreciate a symbol's meaning, it still may have no personal meaning for me.
I would say this has more meaning to me. As an artifact, as a tragic symbol, but maybe ...
[Image: wtcaf2.JPG]
... not even this. People were completely violated in the city; lives changed horrendously just dealing with everything that went on for months - years, whether one knew someone in the buildings or not. There really is no single "symbol" for this or any tragedy... except maybe the buildings. Which are gone.

Heaping advantageous crassness onto this or any tragedy doesn't help anyone progress. This is the only thing I see as a valid symbol; a remembrance of the buildings themselves and the incredible fragility of humanity. I think it's only visible once a year - for a while. Nothing is meant to last.
[Image: fde71302cc24412103e5b0b364f569dc.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-08-2012, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 12:37 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Agree. You pick your battles. This is not one. Let them put up the cross, and point to it, and ask where their god was before the planes went in, and use it to show how the "they were willing to die for their beliefs" argument is a pile of crap, (that Xtians use for the "martyr" argument). This is like the Westboro idiots messing with funerals.
Edit : However, there must have been Muslims who died that day. If they have the balls, let them ask for a Crescent moon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post