Atheists Targeting Nation With Godless Media Blitz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Atheists Targeting Nation With Godless Media Blitz
New American
Written by Dave Bohon
Friday, 04 March 2011

The last several months have been a busy time for America’s atheists, as several different factions around the nation have launched media campaigns aimed at talking people out of their belief in God. (Continues)

Related:

Atheist Ad Campaign Coming to Houston
No God Needed?
Published : Friday, 04 Mar 2011 (LINK)

[Image: 5202559.jpg]

I guess it's not surprising that the opening statement in the first article would get things so wrong. It's not a matter of talking people out of their belief in God. It's a matter of atheists speaking up as freely as Theists have been entitled to for all these years. Speaking to the rational intellect that call's into question the existence of an invisible parent, cop, friend and provides the express right to say; some people do not accept that's true, holy or even possible and this is who they are...

When atheist book titles outsold Theist in 2007, it certainly went a long way to prove people were calling faith into question long before some atheists decided to buy ad space on the side of a bus.

How do you own a fundamentalist Theist?
Dare to exercise the right to be free from religion.

After all if the faithful were strong in the faith the faithless wouldn't be a problem now would they?!Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 07:05 PM
RE: Atheists Targeting Nation With Godless Media Blitz
(05-03-2011 04:37 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  After all if the faithful were strong in the faith the faithless wouldn't be a problem now would they?!Big Grin

My god is all powerful and he needs me to fight his battles for him. I must be awesomely special for an all powerful god to need me. See how humble I am? Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
"Targeting" nation. They sure are good at the hit job. This reminds me, I need to check out the FfRF right now.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
06-03-2011, 09:20 AM

(05-03-2011 11:29 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  "Targeting" nation. They sure are good at the hit job. This reminds me, I need to check out the FfRF right now.

They have to be. Implying one thought form is under attack enforces the fear paradigm that coincides with the notion the antithesis of god, is out to get them.
Atheism. It's the Devils work you know.
*shhhh, you're not suppose to remember that Yahweh created his own adversary so as to make the game, with humans in the middle, possible in the first place.

It's as if some Theists believe, if it's not put into writing, like atheist bus campaigns, no one will ever think of it that way. So they're safe, given Christians, the one's that are carping the most and the loudest over this amid all Theist groups you notice, came into being and were first referred to by the Pagan tribes as, the people of the book. Because they derived their belief system from what they read (the literate one's) and what they were read from, thanks to ordained clergy speaking to them in god's name.

I'd like to afford a bus placard here that says; god told me atheism insures a mind is not wasted on man made cult philosophy.

Hell, I'd probably be dead in a week.
"Christian assassin murders woman to save faithful from Devil's message." News at 11.
Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
This is great - I love the fact they refer to dogma and not a religion in particular.
Dogma is a bad thing - even for atheists. I think if you're not an atheists for skeptical reasons you probably aren't one for good reasons - just my thought.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
07-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Growing up in a Christian household in Houston, I never remember atheism, or the possibility that my Christian upbringing could be false, ever being acknowledged or addressed. These concepts were never mentioned, and they never really occurred to me.

Billboards like these help in terms of raw exposure. If nothing else, they prompt discussion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't buy Centre for Inquiry's assertion that their message is not designed to target the religious. It doesn't say, "we" don't need, it says "you" don't need. Same with American Atheist's campaign, "You Know They're All Scams." And FFRF's logo has the foundation's name 50% the size of the message, a deliberate choice that creates a relationship between the peril of dogma and the solution, freedom from religion. To believe any of these organisations, I have to believe that they are devoid of media savvy. I find that unlikely.

On the other hand, Metroplex Atheist's campaign of, "Millions of People Are Good Without God," targets no one. It is a message of support for closet Atheists and an olive branch to Theists. It even sparked an interesting juxtapositional media debate with Heath Hill's follow-along message of, "2.1 Million People Are Good With God."

As a subjectivist, I kind of automatically disagree with Dr. Craig Hazen's assertion that you need an objective basis for the meaning of any word, but as someone with a brain, I question the assertion that all objective knowledge comes from God. The argument for divine inspiration for all thought is one thing, but he doesn't cite that. In terms of objective truths derrived from revelation or from religious texts, there are many "objective" truths that we know, like how to get a shuttle into orbit, that were discoverd through inquiry.

For a highly biased media outlet, I thought New American wrote a reasonably balanced article.

All of that being said, I agree with you, Gassy Kitten, that telling your constituency that they are under attack is an important part of maintaining power.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
07-03-2011, 08:20 PM
(07-03-2011 09:56 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I don't buy Centre for Inquiry's assertion that their message is not designed to target the religious. It doesn't say, "we" don't need, it says "you" don't need. Same with American Atheist's campaign, "You Know They're All Scams." And FFRF's logo has the foundation's name 50% the size of the message, a deliberate choice that creates a relationship between the peril of dogma and the solution, freedom from religion. To believe any of these organisations, I have to believe that they are devoid of media savvy. I find that unlikely.

I agree with you that this group has a message and a fairly obvious agenda and their actions contradict their claims. But, does that really matter?

There are no shortage of religious organizations who proselytize their religions through a variety of means, including going door to door. As soon as the weather gets warm I'll have 1 a week on my door step and I'll politely shoe them away (although a few of you have inspired me to try a different approach). So, why is it wrong for atheist groups to do the same?

Personally, this is not my style. I have no real interest in pushing my view of the world or religion on other people; partly because that's not who I am and partly because I think people need to come to their own conclusions and you can't convince anyone of anything they don't want to believe. But, given how much religion is rammed down our throats in the US, why shouldn't atheist groups push back?

So, yes, these groups are probably not being honest about their agenda, but, from my perspective, they have no obligation to be and are not doing anything wrong. What they are doing, though, is offering another point of view. Good for them.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey, BnW.

Quote:I agree with you that this group has a message and a fairly obvious agenda and their actions contradict their claims. But, does that really matter?

Way to trigger the Rapture by agreeing with me.

Three reasons I personally believe it matters.

First, you may have notice that I'm all about mechanics. How do things work? Why? W5 stuff. So it's important on a personal level to be able to identify and understand the reasons that people do things. I also like to know which behaviours are unique to certain groups and which ones are widespread.

Second, as far as I'm concerned (and this isn't directed at you) the moment someone says "they did it why can't we?" they lose all their credibity. If someone says "what they did annoys me so I'm going to do that exact same thing" they lose my sympathy.

Most importantly, the fact that it is hapening at all is a concern for me. It poses significant dangers that I would like to avoid.

I think there was something else I wanted to say but I've had a rough day. Me no focus no less better.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Hey Ghost

You know as well as anyone here that you can't convert the deeply religious. These campaigns won't dent their beliefs at all. We all know that, and so do the atheists who created the campaigns. It is the ones on the fence or closet atheists they are after. These are the ones who may be swayed. And that is exactly why I don't think that the campaigners lied or misrepresented what they were doing, in any way at all.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.