Atheists actually give a damn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Atheists actually give a damn
So last night, a female cousin of mine went to the emergency room for some unknown pain in her lower back. She makes a post on facebook saying how she's been in the hospital all night, tests were inconclusive, yada yada yada.

After reading this, this morning, I see about 20 posts from people saying "We'll pray for you, Ours prayers are with you, etc etc"
My post says "Hope you feel better. I'll be out to visit shortly"

I get out there at 10 am thinking there are probably going to be at least 3-5 people in the room, I'll pop in for a while see how's she doing and then go home.
I get there and no one else is there. No one has been to visit. I stayed with her all day. We talked and chatted. I told her stories we talked to nurses and doctors about what the next step is going to be.

It's now nearly 9 pm and I'm home typing this up. I spent the day with her in the hospital and only one other person arrived to see her. All those damn prayers and none of them can take the time to get off their asses and drive for 10 min to the hospital (It's a small city. You can drive anywhere in the city in 10 min)

Her parents and brother live out of state, so it's understandable that they didn't jump on a plane at a moments notice when it wasn't life and death. It's an unknown back pain thing. Hopefully the MRI she's having tonight will shed some light.

It just irritates me that people think that typing some "We'll pray for you" thing equates to actually giving a damn. It's a fucking cop out. It's a token gesture saying that we can't take the time to actually care about you.

That's all I got - just pissed at this point.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 22 users Like Rahn127's post
13-09-2012, 08:16 PM
RE: Atheists actually give a damn
Yep, actions speak louder than words.

I'm sure she appreciates you being there, good stuff Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
13-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Prayer is for the pray-er, not the pray-ee.

They respond on FB because it makes them look good, not necessarily because they are honestly moved and concerned. A few, yes, but most, no.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 5 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
13-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm sure she's very grateful for your company and your concern. You're a good cousin. Smile

I hope that whatever has caused her pain is nothing serious, and that she'll be able to go home and will feel better soon!
[+] 2 users Like SlipStitch's post
13-09-2012, 10:35 PM
People suck.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
13-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Jeez - praying folk. Blink

If I posted something like that on facebook to inform people who might be looking for me, I think I'd probably have to follow it up with: No prayers please. Shy

If anyone inquired or announced an intention of praying, I'd simply say, "If it makes you feel better, fine. Prayer won't hold my hand and tell me a joke."

Ooh... or how about: No prayers please - cash accepted. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I've always defined prayer...as a resort for an "absolute cure" as the following: A gymnasium of arms refusing to pull the weight and brains only willing to convince their hosts that thinking to yourself is the cure for everything if it benefits your own conscience.

But hey....that's just me. That's just me.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
13-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Any hospital chaplain will tell you, it's just "being there" that counts the most. You did the best thing. You're a good egg, Charlie Brown.

When I have my heart attack, if you pray for me, I'll sue you for damages.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...133554.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I can see that. I've just had a heart attack and now I must be so bad off that people are praying for a miracle.

"Hey Doc, I thought you said that I had a good chance of recovery and now all these people are praying that I make it through the night - WTH ?"
Or maybe guilt "All these people are asking god to take a look at my life and then make a decision if I should live or not. - Oh this can't be good"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-09-2012, 09:00 AM
PRAYER: How to do nothing and still feel like you're helping

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post