Atheists actually give a damn

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 09:08 AM
RE: Atheists actually give a damn
I find myself also wondering how many of those really prayed vs. just typing "I'll pray for you".

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
14-09-2012, 09:23 AM
(14-09-2012 09:08 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I find myself also wondering how many of those really prayed vs. just typing "I'll pray for you".

That's not very Christian of you. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2012, 09:44 AM
(14-09-2012 09:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 09:08 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I find myself also wondering how many of those really prayed vs. just typing "I'll pray for you".

No one is truly Christian. Let that be known.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
14-09-2012, 02:31 PM
(13-09-2012 10:06 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Prayer is for the pray-er, not the pray-ee.

They respond on FB because it makes them look good, not necessarily because they are honestly moved and concerned. A few, yes, but most, no.

All too true.

Funny thing is, I am fairly sure that most of them, deep down, know that it's true. I've had a score or so debates with friends and neighbors, all religious, on the subject of intercessory prayer. While a couple of them were obstinate that they believed praying can "move god to act on behalf of the person they're praying for", most of them, nearly all, agreed that

1. God knows about whatever the problem is - because He's omniscient
2. God knows that the person praying really does care and want the problem to be fixed - because He's omniscient.
3. Therefore praying to God doesn't tell him anything He doesn't already know.
4. And finally, whatever God was planning regarding this specific problem will still happen, whether we pray or not - because it's all part of God's plan, the good and the bad.

Almost all of them agreed with every one of those points. But of course they still felt that praying was the right thing to do so they will keep on praying. But at least they (almost all) grasped the idea that intercessory prayer won't change anything.

The most interesting discovery I got from these discussions was the speed that many of them agreed with my points. I never tallied these conversations so I don't have specific counts, but I would estimate that about half of them agreed just about instantly.

In other words, I didn't have to convince them of any of these points because they already knew them.

I was going to say the same thing but you ninja'd me.

I suspect that typing "I'll pray for you" constitutes a certain amount of well-wishing. Actually praying constitutes a certain amount of well-wishing. And given my point above that many of these people probably know that prayer is nothing more than well-wishing, there might be a mental connection that typing their well-wishes into FaceBook might be all the well-wishing they need to do.

And some probably just forget. After all, they have better things to pray for, like having their home team win the game, or finding their car keys...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
14-09-2012, 03:01 PM
(14-09-2012 09:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Well that's a relief! Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
14-09-2012, 03:09 PM
(14-09-2012 02:31 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  And some probably just forget. After all, they have better things to pray for, like having their home team win the game, or finding their car keys...
Very true. Smile