Atheists/agnostics - what made you leave religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2012, 04:24 PM
RE: Atheists/agnostics - what made you leave religion?
The Cardinal Camerlengo had really bad breath.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-05-2012, 12:43 AM
My so called "fall from grace" occured when I was around twelve. I had just watched my mother break four ribs in a soccer game because the person hadnt liked her (so the drop kicked her while she was on the ground). Then at the hospital(christian hospital) i watched the doctor mislabel her IV tubes, poison her blood and then have the nerve to say her Insurance was not acceptable and that we had to pay out of our pockets. So i started to ask the question "if god truly loved his believers then why is he making this so hard for my mother".

This started me asking questions and reading novels about faith and religion and personal beliefs. after awhile i came to the decision that there may be a god but he just doesnt give a fuck about us anymore. This is why i turned away from god.

The reason i turned away from religion is because of all the Hate-mongering, self-righteous, pretentious assholes who try to say they are doing "gods" work. WBC is a great example but i have a more personal one i'd like to share. I'm happily married to an Ex-Baptist. not the happy "love everyoen Baptist" but the "i'm going to fuck everyone who's not christian" Baptist. She went to Baptist schools all her life, went to church every sunday, and we even got married in a baptist church just to make her happy. This all changed last year when my wife decided that she wanted to go to college a year after my son was born. she wanted to better herself and her degree was oddly going to be theology. So, her and I, started the long painful process of applying to colleges across the country.

The first college to reply back said that her high school was on the list of "do not accepts" because their accredation (spelling?) was fake. Shortly after that every other college responded with somethign along those lines. So we did a little digging. This school has been in business, and i say business because there is a tuition and book fee's and church fee's, for 23 years AND THEY HAD NEVER BEEN ACCREDITED. Ever....not even once. But yet they lied and said they had been, charged tuition, and gave a shitty education. When my wife went to get her G.E.D the people took one look at her transcript and said she still had two YEARS of high school left.

These "Christian" people had been lying and stealing from CHILDREN and ruining CHILDRENS lives, for 23 years. My wife and I shortly called them, filed a class action law suit, and promptly left the church and told them in as many words to fuck themselves.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
17-05-2012, 07:41 AM
It was the raping by priests that I had a problem with. My butt got sore after a while...

Nah, I have never believed in a god, so I have never been religious.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
22-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I thought about it.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
22-05-2012, 07:57 PM
The first crack, after being a Young Earth Creationist for most of 45 years, was taking a vacation out West and seeing all the rock layers in the bare mountains for hundreds of miles. The thought kept nagging at me that "This didn't happen in 6000 years". The thought kept popping up for years until I decided to settle it once and for all. I studied about "Flood Geology" and if Noah's flood could have happened and from 100 different angles the answers all said "No!" Like taking the corner block out of a building, soon the blocks above it loosen and fall out too. If Noah's flood didn't happen, the Bible wasn't inerrant either. The Earth probably is as old as the scientist say too, and the Tower of Babel didn't happen either. That was all Old Testament stuff. Then it hit me that Jesus referred to "as it was in the days of Noah" but there was no Noah, so Jesus was wrong too.
[+] 2 users Like Tim Matter's post
27-05-2012, 11:52 PM
When I realized that religious leaders were contradicting each other decided to find out who knew what they were talking about and who were full of crap. It took a number of years but I realized that what religious leaders say fall into two catagories. 1. That which is untestable, and 2. that which is prove-ably false.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-05-2012, 06:07 PM
I began to have doubts at the age of 12.
Asking uncomfortable questions about free will, predestination and alleged almighty omnipotence really upset the nuns. Reading Paine's "Age of Reason" , Bulfinch's "Mythology", Fraser's "Golden Bough" , the works of Colonel Ingersoll, and the bible itself pretty much helped me cure the disease of organized religion.

The inspiration of the Bible depends upon the ignorance of the gentleman who reads it.
~R. G. Ingersoll
28-05-2012, 09:00 PM
(02-05-2012 11:16 PM)Sethala Wrote:  Forgive me if this is the wrong forum or if a thread like this already exists; it seemed like the most appropriate place for it (mods, feel free to move this to another board if it's not the right place)

As someone who was born and raised in a Christian family and later rejected religious teachings, I'm curious what convinced others to leave the religion they grew up with.

For myself, I'm not sure if I ever really believed in God to begin with. I kind of always had it on the same level as santa claus and the tooth fairy. I more or less just assumed that there was a God, who made the universe, and that was just how things were. (Admittedly, even today I'm not completely convinced there isn't a god, though I am convinced that Christianity and the bible are human fabrications.) What I think really made me stop and re-examine everything, though, was the garden of Eden.

I've always been a logical thinker, so when I really started to look at Adam and Eve, things just didn't add up. For one, if God was omnipotent, how did he not know that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree? And even if he didn't know - there's an interesting argument I've heard, though I don't know from where, that God can't see where humankind's free will can lead them, or something like that - why did he even make the tree to begin with? Why was the tree in the garden, where Adam and Eve could easily eat from it; if he was all-powerful, why not just make the garden sans tree and let everything be fine? Once I started on that line of logic, other things just stopped making sense. I never looked at the bible too closely, so I wasn't aware of the staggering number of inconsistencies, both with itself and with our moral standards, until much later, but it was enough to make me start questioning everything.

Still, even today I find it hard to completely reject the idea that there is no higher power in the universe. But if there is, I feel that such a being, for whatever reason, did not want to reveal itself to mankind, and instead seems content to leave us to our own devices. Perhaps a sort of "prime directive" thing. Or maybe this is just blatant wish-fulfillment on my part, who knows.
It didn't really make sense to me. Plus, I always wondered why god ( he doesn't get a capital) never did to help me or anyone else when we asked for it. I asked myself: "Is this all worth it?" Nope, it's not. So here I am, an atheist and damn proud. Big Grin
29-05-2012, 06:27 PM
It was a slow and painful process. I started to loose by beliefs slowly, leaning more towards science. Then i had an argument with a fundamentalist christian and Muslim. That was when i really decided i did not believe. After that, i read the book "the god delusion" and I was finally comfortable.
30-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I was listening to the Center for Inquiry "Center Stage" podcast today on Stitcher - The God Virus with Darrel Ray (part 1 & 2). I think I have some natural immunity....
The podcast is great btw - just bought the book on kindle.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.