Atheists/agnostics - what made you leave religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2012, 01:11 AM
RE: Atheists/agnostics - what made you leave religion?
It was hard for me to believe in god my entire life. Another atheist introduced me to Carl Sagan's Cosmos, then George Carlin, and Bill Hicks.

Now that I am a confirmed Atheist, I don't have to sit in church pretending like I'm praying.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 06:24 PM
For the most part, I have almost always been skeptical of religion. During my freshman year of high school, one of my friends was able to get me to come to their youth group at his church for about 6 months. There were lots of great people, and I was almost convinced for a while.

It wasn't until I was on a church campout with them that I realized what was really screwed up and got my head straight. Their tactics for getting people to "give their life to jesus" were pretty much identical to those of a used car salesman. They totally used peer pressure and emotion to get people to make an impulsive decision.

The next week when I attended their Sunday service, I noticed how ridiculous it was, grown men with their hands raised in the air crying, about what? Seeing all that got me back on the atheist track and I have since been passionate about learning as much as I can about science, and facts, and how to debate with the religious.
19-10-2012, 09:41 PM
(02-05-2012 11:16 PM)Sethala Wrote:  Forgive me if this is the wrong forum or if a thread like this already exists; it seemed like the most appropriate place for it (mods, feel free to move this to another board if it's not the right place)

As someone who was born and raised in a Christian family and later rejected religious teachings, I'm curious what convinced others to leave the religion they grew up with.

Many moons ago - when I was 19 - I was troubled and turned to the Bible for Wisdom, Solace and Hope. For the first time, I actually read the Bible - and soon figured out that the Bible was the most convoluted pile of Dog Pooo ever foisted on Humanity!

I actually read the Bible. And that's why I am not a Christian.
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
14-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I went to university and got an MA Divinity (Hons.)... as part of this I studied Ecclesiastical History, Biblical Studies and Theology and saw the human origins of it all just toooooo clearly!

I was very sad to lose my faith as all my friends were (and are) Catholic and I feel that I lost a lot of my friends (not explicitly through having an argument with them but we just drifted apart as there was always that elephant in the room!!) even though I never told half of them that I was an Atheist I think they figured it out through many of my Facebook posts and the fact I often voiced my doubts in the hope someone would give me an answer!

I am now working on building up a new network of friends, I still care very much about my Catholic friends but many of them have moved away as we all graduated a last year.
[+] 1 user Likes StartThinking2012's post
14-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I was told many things by my education and upbringing that just didn't make sense to me. Dinosaurs didn't exist at all -- type of stuff. One evening, I was watching on PBS Cosmos. It was an episode about stars and really fascinating -- at least in the beginning. Carl Sagan had this weird effect on me as a kid -- he would put me to sleep. It was his voice I guess and the background music -- it was very soothing and comforting i seem to recall.

I began to question if there wasn't more... Huh It kinda scared me. Because I was also taught that you weren't supposed to question the bible. Bad things would happen -- that whole thing is kinda built into story.

I really think I started questioning when I was told the story of Noah's ark. I didn't question the age of Noah. I didn't question the size of the ark or animals...the part that got me was the rainbow at the end. I remember thinking...wow this is why we have a rainbow. So when I'm watering the lawn (it was my job to do it as kid) with the garden hose and I see a rainbow I'm supposed to believe it's god's promise that he won't allow me to over water and flood the yard. Why would I EVER see a rainbow at all? Wouldn't they only appear after a whole lot of rain (I also grew up during the drought years in California), Why would a rainbow appear in the sky when it's just kinda misting? We needed rain. Lots of rain.

I made the mythology connection. I suddenly realized it was mythology -- a way to explain things that no one understood. We had discussed mythology in school as part of history -- of course seriously downplayed...but I made the jump.

I was taught that the bible was literal -- sure their *might* be a bit of wiggle room. A teacher once conceded that she didn't know how long a day was in the creation story or how they even measured a day since the sun rises and sets at different times. It's not equally divided. And that didn't bother me as a kid...
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Upon inspection, I realized that religious doctrine didn't match up with tangible reality.

Being a rational individual, I altered my thinking accordingly.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
16-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Don't bother addressing the OP - he hasn't been on this site since June 15.

Drive-by theist. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-12-2012, 03:11 PM
(16-12-2012 02:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  Don't bother addressing the OP - he hasn't been on this site since June 15.

Drive-by theist. Angry
Feel free, however, to address the thousands of other people browsing this site who might be even mildly interested in what you have to say.

Chas Laughat

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
[+] 1 user Likes Percepticon's post
16-12-2012, 03:17 PM
No evidence.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post
21-12-2012, 08:19 PM
the devil made me do it!
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post