Atheists/agnostics - what made you leave religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2012, 02:09 PM
RE: Atheists/agnostics - what made you leave religion?
I picked up a Bible and read it. That's all it took to realize that religion is illogical nonsense.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
02-06-2012, 08:28 PM
(02-06-2012 02:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I picked up a Bible and read it. That's all it took to realize that religion is illogical nonsense.

Took me a couple of reads, Vosur, but I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. I still read the Red Letter Version of the New Testament. But I interpret it for myself. Which is to say, I interpret it properly.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I think that for most of us it's not one thing that made us atheists, but a bunch of things put together.
I used to be a sikh, and went to the temple almost everyday. My parents pray ~2 hours per day and my grandparents ~5 hours a day, so I learned about sikhism since birth. I find it to be one of the open and good religions, only because its only a couple hundred years old. Sikh literally means learner, and oh did I ever learn that god doesn't exist so I don't know if that makes me a sikh or not...anyways back to the point.
I learned about religion and went to religious camp in the summer (6am-6pm for a weekish), and was critical about some minor things, like why did god make it so its uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time cross legged when we were supposed to? and why were all these things we were supposed to do not instinctive? We learned that we are not supposed to turn our back on guru granth (holy book), and the granth was god, and god was everywhere and using really simple logic you get you cannot turn your back on anything? Little logical failures in religion made me wonder, but not doubt. I also found the people who were called "most religious" or whatever, when looked at closer were the least moral people that were bullies (even to me for being with a girl that one of them liked) and apparently did drugs and stuff, which were all against sikhism to start out with so it was all confusing. Oh and some girl liked me only for my religion..which sucked for me in the end, but also for her cause I turned atheist. Then I came across Carl Sagan's Cosmos, and was amazed by it and it made me think so much more and that in addition to more research online made me an Atheist. Another important factor is the state of the world with hunger, fighting, war, terror, famine, hate, territoriality, greed, earthquakes, cancer, diseases etc, and if god did exist he did a pretty bad job at this place.
14-06-2012, 08:10 AM
I grew up in the church, was a peer minister, thought about becoming a chaplain when I joined the military. But in the back of my head I always wondered about some of the flaws/inconsistencies in the bible. I always wondered if Hitler asked for forgiveness at his last moment wouldn't he then go to heaven? So what's the point of having hell? etc.

What really made me stop and re-evaluate my beliefs was a year in Iraq (I was US military). Seeing that kind of poverty, watching young kids get maimed and killed in a war over oil, the US troops praying for god to help them kill the "bad guys" and keep them safe. It all just REALLY stopped making any sense. I was also wounded in an explosion. After being home I prayed and prayed for god to help me deal with my shit and help me get better, and (shocker) nothing happened. Life still sucked. So one day I decided that no one could fix my situation but me. So I got to work. That lead me to start reading about atheism. And that made a LOT of sense to me. Over the last few years I have slowly started thinking of myself as a atheist and recently started admitting it to friends and family when the subject comes up. My teenage niece recently died of cancer, watching her slowly died reaffirmed that I can't/won't believe in a god that would let that happen to anyone, especially a child. I've come to the conclusion that the world is a crazy, fucked up place some days.
21-06-2012, 04:06 AM
For me it was the bible with it's crazy stories. All my prayers did nothing.

And by my nature I loved getting answers to questions.

Science had everything the religion I was brought up with didn't.

Answers that made sense.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
25-06-2012, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2012 09:20 AM by RealityIsAnOpinion.)
I knew at a very young age that I didn't believe. It was obvious to me that science and Christianity were not compatible. I saw a huge separation between what was taught in my science class (my favourite subject in school) and church on Sunday. And one day after church I had about a 2 hour conversation with my mother that started with my asking "If Adam and Eve were put on Earth after 5 days, where were the dinosaurs?" I don't remember where the conversation meandered after that but I remember it ended with my mother saying that I must have faith and explaining what faith was.

That was it for me. I think I was 8 or 9 years old. It was quite a few years after that that I had the guts to say that I wasn't going to church any longer.

Everyone has the right to an opinion and to defend that opinion without ridicule.
26-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Great question.
I was raised in a little 'ol town in Oregon called Damascus (of all names) where 99.8% of the population was Lutheran. Lutheranism being generally the least insane variant of Christianity, I wasn't really pressured to be like everyone else, nor did our family ever go to church, my dad being a pantheist and my mom being an atheist. We lived right next to the church, so for the sake of convenience I went to preschool there. I don't know if I ever really bought into the whole thing entirely, prayers being the mindless chants we had to say before we got our fruitsnacks. Damn, I loved those fruitsnacks.
I never really thought too much of religion. It was just something that people did. In Middle School, I figured it out, though. With people going around with "Jesus Loves You" sweaters and crosses around their necks, I wanted to know what the heck it was all about. My best friend, a hardcore Christian, decided to help me with my conversion, and handed me a bible with post-it notes in the good bits. I wasn't one to skip through a book, so I tried to read the whole thing.
I think it was around the murdering babies part that I became an atheist.
I spent the next few months researching all I could on the internet, mostly Dawkins and Hitchens, with some watching of TAE and TTA. Proudly being cliche here, it opened my eyes to a whole new world of skepticism and science. I debated with my Christian friends a lot, and despite not converting a single one of them (not that I set out to, but it would've been nice) I got a lot of insight into why people flock to religion. You guys probably already know why, having had probably very similar debates with theists. The fear of death is one that comes up often. I can't comprehend not being me, I am me, I have no state of not me to compare my me consciousness to, although one may be before I was born. That's a really friggin' scary thought that I, t one point, just won't exist anymore. The idea of everlasting life in the clouds with floating naked babies is pretty appealing compared to the alternative.
But I like to view reality based on reality. Not a fanciful notion of something that just can't happen in reality.
P.S. What the hell is gd doing up there with loads of naked babies, anyway? He's either a pedophile, or he's fryin' 'em up and eating them. Take your pick, Christians.

Mario is f***ing real.
[+] 1 user Likes MrArrogant's post
26-06-2012, 07:02 AM
(26-06-2012 02:40 AM)MrArrogant Wrote:  P.S. What the hell is gd doing up there with loads of naked babies, anyway? He's either a pedophile, or he's fryin' 'em up and eating them. Take your pick, Christians.
Both. Infanticidal eroticism. Hobo

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-08-2012, 10:46 AM
What's up everyone first of all I'm glad I found a site that shares similar thought processes as my own. I abandoned religion at an early age, because I refused to live my life according to how some book told me I had to. I thought to myself, if this god dude was some omniscient being who sees all and knows all created me then he would've known beforehand that I would reject him. How is that even plausible? Some may state the freewill arguement, but that doesn't compute either because if that were the case, he again knew beforehand the outcome of my existence and again that isn't plausible. Its simple really, if you claim to be omnipotent and the knower of all things and you create something that you ultimately know will defy you and you will ultimately damn your creation to an eternity of despair, then you are not omnipotent. How can that be divine? Not to mention that I am a vet of the Iraq war and while deployed I saw Jihadists murdering their own people. I saw three children get blown to pieces by an incoming mortor. I saw a pile of bodies on the side of the road decay into sun bleached bones. Now tell me this, would a god create a species knowing full well that it was doomed to be bent on it's own destruction. I dispise the notion of god and I'm sickened by the blind faith of the followers of this absurd supposed deity.
06-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Good thread!

I was raised in the church. If there was service, we were there. I think my problems started when I was around 12 or 13. My parents had divorced when I was 4, and my mother remarried when I was 8. My step father used me as a punching bag. I remember praying night after night for something to change. Nothing happened. Learning that jesus said ask and ye shall receive, I did that, yet got nothing. It was at that point I started to doubt it all. I have always been independent, and a free thinker anyways, so questioning all of this was just natural for me. I started seeing other "christians" for what they really were. A bunch of hypocrits! I think the final straw for me was when we found out our preacher was gay.

You see, my mom would always take me to preachers or youth leaders when i was bad for counseling. I remember shortly before finding out about the preacher, I was taken to him because my mom found a Penthouse mag in my bedroom. The preacher lectured me about the sins of this. So here he has lectured me, preached about it, and yet he does exactly what he says was a sin. I decided I really needed to know what was in the bible for myself instead of listening to what others told me was in it.

As I read the bible (from cover to cover by the way), I began to notice some things. First and foremost was OT god and NT god were two different beings. Either that or he was bi-polar! OT god killed, maimed and destroyed at a whim. NT god was all love, peace and suffer not the children. So how can this be? Either he hates us, or he loves us. Which is it? Then there were the contradictory passages. I began to see the flaws in the bible. If the bible was flawed, and it was supposed to be god's word, then it meant he was flawed. And if god was flawed, then he could not be the end all be all being.

Of course maybe it had to do with the fact that I refused to feed the ego of some invisible being who was so full of himself (itself?) that it required some tiny spec on this rock to worship it. After all, didn't god have a multitude of angels singing his praises constantly? I had no powers like they did, so what the fuck did it matter if I worshiped the dick or not?

http://www.theaverageatheist.com

Challenge Everything!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes haarvik's post