Atheists and Dog Chips!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2010, 03:35 PM

RE: Atheists and Dog Chips!
Just when I think the ignorance factor cannot get any lower...Behold PLATYPUS MAN!!!!

The Bible has not been re-translated. Listen genius, unless you speak Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic it has to be translated into the language you speak. In your case I am guessing gibberish. Look up the dead sea scrolls, and see if your opinion changes.

As far as the Mayan calender, do a little research before you open your bill, or whatever that thing that is attached to your head is. Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM

(11-03-2010 03:35 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Just when I think the ignorance factor cannot get any lower...Behold PLATYPUS MAN!!!!

The Bible has not been re-translated. Listen genius, unless you speak Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic it has to be translated into the language you speak. In your case I am guessing gibberish. Look up the dead sea scrolls, and see if your opinion changes.

As far as the Mayan calender, do a little research before you open your bill, or whatever that thing that is attached to your head is. Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."

"The Bible has not been re-translated..." wow, you actually believe the rhetoric coming out of your own mouth, martin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations

In fact, the bible has been 'retranslated' 2,479 times! And, you are going to tell me now that in all those times, it has been accurate? Baloney.
11-03-2010, 03:56 PM

"It is better to keep you mouth shut and people think your foolish than to open it and confirm it"

The Bible has not been re-translated. Listen genius, unless you speak Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic it has to be translated into the language you speak. Apparently you didn't read my post above. So go learn those languages and compare the Bible in the original language to one of the 2500 ish languages that it has been translated into. Beginning to believe it is stupidity that keeps you from believing.
11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
(11-03-2010 03:35 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  The Bible has not been re-translated. Listen genius, unless you speak Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic it has to be translated into the language you speak.

Which means that it was re-translated. That's the definition of the word.

Quote:In your case I am guessing gibberish. Look up the dead sea scrolls, and see if your opinion changes.

You yourself may want to look up the Dead Sea scrolls, martin. Many Christians bring them up as the ultimate proof that the Bible is unchanged; unfortunately, they don't prove that. At all.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM

I dont understand your point of argument. Sounds like you said it has not been re-translated, and then referred to its some 2500 translations. And scold us our stupidity for not believing.
gawdamned classic. keep going, condemn us as us infidels, and punish us to ever lasting hell fire.
11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
(11-03-2010 01:00 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  What crime did Jesus commit to be crucified?
I'm Jewish. As far as I know I don't suppose to know that stuff, however- you should.

(11-03-2010 01:02 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  martinb59 or shiranl, can one of you please post the chapter and verse of this prophecy? I would like to see it for myself.

I would be glad to do so-but I don't know. I learned it last year in bible lesons and I don't remember the exact versas. It's a famuse prophecy called "Acherit Hayamim", "After the days" in free translation.

(11-03-2010 03:56 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  So go learn those languages and compare the Bible in the original language to one of the 2500 ish languages that it has been translated into. Beginning to believe it is stupidity that keeps you from believing.

HAHA! I'm the only one who actually CAN do this. however, I don't think I will. Actually, martin, it is us begginig to think it is stupidity which keeps you from non-believing......
11-03-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't want to defend Martin here, but I believe he meant that the bible was "translated" from it's original language to the other 2500. In my opinion "re-translated" would mean being translated from one of those 2500 languages to another.
11-03-2010, 04:51 PM

(11-03-2010 04:10 PM)ZOMGitsNoah Wrote:  I dont understand your point of argument. Sounds like you said it has not been re-translated, and then referred to its some 2500 translations. And scold us our stupidity for not believing.

I think what he is taking issue with is the "re". 'Translated' implies a direct 1:1 translation from one language to another whereas 're-translated' implies a copy of a copy of a copy.

I have a question for Martin - other languages notwithstanding - aren't there many versions of the bible in just ONE language, that is, English? I just went to http://www.biblegateway.com and they have TWENTY versions to search from in English alone. Are every single one of those identical and the word of god? If they are, then why have so many versions?

As far as the accuracy of the translations - I remember playing Telephone in grammar school and how mistranslated the original sentence became - and that was with ONE sentence over five minutes. I find it hard to believe that every single word of the modern bible is as god intended. Did god only inspire and guide the original writer or did he also have a hand in every translation? And if so - then why are there 20 versions with many contradictions in the four gospels alone?

Now, I may have my information wrong and I fully acknowledge that it may be, and if so I will humbly retract anything incorrect - but what of the whole Constantine thing? I think I've read something about some council where they basically threw out whatever they didn't like - is this true?
11-03-2010, 04:54 PM
(11-03-2010 04:44 PM)Nahuel Wrote:  I don't want to defend Martin here, but I believe he meant that the bible was "translated" from it's original language to the other 2500. In my opinion "re-translated" would mean being translated from one of those 2500 languages to another.

Even in that case, he's still incorrect. Many Bible versions, King James included, were not translated from the original Hebrew, but from the Greek translation of the Hebrew (excepting the Old Testament, which was at least partly a direct translation from Hebrew).
One thing that I never understood, though; how does the accuracy of a translation help to prove the factual accuracy of the work?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
11-03-2010, 04:55 PM
(11-03-2010 01:07 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  A number of people on this site think that Jesus did not exist, was never born. What do you think about that, what does your country think about Jesus?

I don't know what my country think about Jesus (and to tell you the truth-I don't think a country can think at all....).
However, as little girl I heard some Christians acusing the Jewish of murdering Jesus. since then I've been growing up and I've read some books and I discovered that the Romans were the ones to crusified Jesus. Being a grandaughter to holocaust survivors I understood this is the start point of anti-semetism, this is the point who lead to the holocaust, who lead to the lowest point in the Jewish nation. Of course, the Nazis changed it to a modern anti-semetism.

Jesus from early ages was a reson to hate my nation, to dispise them and make a genocide to the people of my nation. After all this-you expect me to believe in Jesus, worship him and grace him?