Atheists and Existentialism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 12:46 PM
I've been wondering about this for a bit.

Since rejecting God/religion, my whole view of the world shifted. Since then I learned that identified a lot with existentialism.

On this forum and elsewhere on the net, I notice that existentialist views seem to be very common among atheists... with only a handful that seem to be nihilistic or hedonists.

So I'm wondering, does atheism more often than not lead to existentialism, since it seems like a natural position to turn to once religion is no longer a factor in your life?

This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree; but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom... - The Ghost of Christmas Present.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 12:53 PM
RE: Atheists and Existentialism
How would we know?

Is there any survey data?

Perhaps add a poll.

24-10-2013, 01:00 PM
(24-10-2013 12:46 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I've been wondering about this for a bit.

Since rejecting God/religion, my whole view of the world shifted. Since then I learned that identified a lot with existentialism.

On this forum and elsewhere on the net, I notice that existentialist views seem to be very common among atheists... with only a handful that seem to be nihilistic or hedonists.

So I'm wondering, does atheism more often than not lead to existentialism, since it seems like a natural position to turn to once religion is no longer a factor in your life?

I don't know in general, but I am an atheist and existentialist.
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
24-10-2013, 01:05 PM
(24-10-2013 12:46 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I've been wondering about this for a bit.

Maybe, who knows.

Personally , I hate to label myself as anything, atheism is ok to me only coz it's a negative statement, a statement of non-adhering to an ideology.
Otherwise I try not to let any existing philosophy inform my opinions.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
24-10-2013, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 01:36 PM by sporehux.)
(24-10-2013 01:00 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I don't know in general, but I am an atheist and existentialist.

I can't get a clear understanding of existentialism, but from what I can understand
its a close fit.

Is there a simple definition ?,

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
24-10-2013, 03:57 PM
(24-10-2013 12:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  How would we know?

Is there any survey data?

Perhaps add a poll.

No this just what I've noticed... I would put a poll but I wouldn't want to limit it to just a handful of choices when there are so many possible ways of looking at life.

Existentialism is just one of many, I just seem to see a .of of existentialist opinions on atheist forums and videos etc, more so than any other world view/philosophy.

This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree; but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom... - The Ghost of Christmas Present.
24-10-2013, 04:08 PM
(24-10-2013 01:32 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 01:00 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I don't know in general, but I am an atheist and existentialist.

I can't get a clear understanding of existentialism, but from what I can understand
its a close fit.

Is there a simple definition ?,

This sums it up fairly well...

24-10-2013, 09:26 PM
existentialism is what infants and young humans go through. Adults go through it when they are questioning or trying to learn again a new paradigm. Is it useful? no because it depends on what one does after their existentialism.
24-10-2013, 09:49 PM
(24-10-2013 09:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  existentialism is what infants and young humans go through. Adults go through it when they are questioning or trying to learn again a new paradigm. Is it useful? no because it depends on what one does after their existentialism.

That sounds like you dont know what existentialism is.
24-10-2013, 11:59 PM
(24-10-2013 09:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  existentialism is what infants and young humans go through. Adults go through it when they are questioning or trying to learn again a new paradigm. Is it useful? no because it depends on what one does after their existentialism.

No, that would be an existential crisis... existentialism is a branch of philosophy and a world view.

[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post