Atheists and Existentialism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Atheists and Existentialism
(24-10-2013 11:59 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 09:26 PM)I and I Wrote:  existentialism is what infants and young humans go through. Adults go through it when they are questioning or trying to learn again a new paradigm. Is it useful? no because it depends on what one does after their existentialism.

No, that would be an existential crisis... existentialism is a branch of philosophy and a world view.

Right and this style of questioning is what I described above.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 12:35 AM
RE: Atheists and Existentialism
(24-10-2013 04:08 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  This sums it up fairly well...

No it doesn't, it is an inaccurate description of existentialism. For a start there is Christian existentialism as well as Judaic existentialism.

Existentialism is difficult to define because it represents a philosophical, literary and theological attitude rather than a doctrine or theory. Also because existentialism is such a broad "church" it becomes difficult to generalise about it but it can be said that what distinguishes existentialist thought is the idea that human existence is somehow special and understanding it requires a special conceptual framework unique to it. Many existentialists identify this specialness in the peculiarities of human subjectivity and human concern with meaning.[1]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2013, 03:56 PM
(25-10-2013 12:35 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 04:08 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  This sums it up fairly well...

No it doesn't, it is an inaccurate description of existentialism. For a start there is Christian existentialism as well as Judaic existentialism.

Existentialism is difficult to define because it represents a philosophical, literary and theological attitude rather than a doctrine or theory. Also because existentialism is such a broad "church" it becomes difficult to generalise about it but it can be said that what distinguishes existentialist thought is the idea that human existence is somehow special and understanding it requires a special conceptual framework unique to it. Many existentialists identify this specialness in the peculiarities of human subjectivity and human concern with meaning.[1]

Existentialism like all isms does not lend itself to hard line definitions.
Why is your definition superior to that of the person you condemn.
You really need to look at some nuancing before spouting your blatant considerations...........along with all that excessive referencing!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
14-11-2013, 01:12 AM
(11-11-2013 03:56 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Existentialism like all isms does not lend itself to hard line definitions.
Why is your definition superior to that of the person you condemn.
You really need to look at some nuancing before spouting your blatant considerations...........along with all that excessive referencing!

Yeah, go ahead and invent your own definitions for things and don't substantiate any of your claims. That sounds like a great foundation for intelligent discussion.
14-11-2013, 01:35 AM
I'm not very well versed in either philosophies, but it seems to me that existentialism is more or less (if I can make up a term here) "positive nihilism".

I don't find it to be really compelling (I find life compelling in and of itself) in any sort of meaningful way, but it is interesting to ponder.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Re: Atheists and Existentialism
Parts of existentialism melds with the ideas of humanism and atheism frequently leads to that. Not absolutely of course, Raliens are an easy example.

Satre wrote an article defending the concept of it being a humanism. There has been existentialism and existential vs nihilism threads here before, but few and far apart in time.

I don't think conscious awareness of existentialist living is a product of atheism through. Mainly since it's not overally topical to draw much attention these days. The philosophy does fill in a solution or at least ideas to what some religious folks frequently feel God gives them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-11-2013, 02:45 PM
(14-11-2013 02:24 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Parts of existentialism melds with the ideas of humanism and atheism frequently leads to that. Not absolutely of course, Raliens are an easy example.

Satre wrote an article defending the concept of it being a humanism. There has been existentialism and existential vs nihilism threads here before, but few and far apart in time.

I don't think conscious awareness of existentialist living is a product of atheism through. Mainly since it's not overally topical to draw much attention these days. The philosophy does fill in a solution or at least ideas to what some religious folks frequently feel God gives them.

Sorry, but 'Raliens' are an example of what?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-11-2013, 09:50 PM
(24-10-2013 12:46 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I've been wondering about this for a bit.

Since rejecting God/religion, my whole view of the world shifted. Since then I learned that identified a lot with existentialism.

On this forum and elsewhere on the net, I notice that existentialist views seem to be very common among atheists... with only a handful that seem to be nihilistic or hedonists.

So I'm wondering, does atheism more often than not lead to existentialism, since it seems like a natural position to turn to once religion is no longer a factor in your life?

Philosophy is useless because when I'm dead my body will be the only thing left of me in the universe. So, it is just 'educated' ponderings, totally useless to any discussion of meaning.
14-11-2013, 09:57 PM
(14-11-2013 09:50 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 12:46 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I've been wondering about this for a bit.

Since rejecting God/religion, my whole view of the world shifted. Since then I learned that identified a lot with existentialism.

On this forum and elsewhere on the net, I notice that existentialist views seem to be very common among atheists... with only a handful that seem to be nihilistic or hedonists.

So I'm wondering, does atheism more often than not lead to existentialism, since it seems like a natural position to turn to once religion is no longer a factor in your life?

Philosophy is useless because when I'm dead my body will be the only thing left of me in the universe. So, it is just 'educated' ponderings, totally useless to any discussion of meaning.

Useless to you, but others find it useful.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-11-2013, 10:01 PM
(14-11-2013 09:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 09:50 PM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  Philosophy is useless because when I'm dead my body will be the only thing left of me in the universe. So, it is just 'educated' ponderings, totally useless to any discussion of meaning.

Useless to you, but others find it useful.

I cannot see how anyone could find any recluse in philosophy, but I understand your point. I see it as a huge waste of life time and maybe even money.