Atheists and Religious Colleges

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Atheists and Religious Colleges
My family's recently taken issue with my strict "No religious schools ever under any circumstances I don't care if they come crawling on their knees begging me to attend" policy when it comes to picking a college. They're kind of assuming these colleges have my major without looking, and it's likely they don't, but still they're bothering me about it.

I want to see if you guys think it's stupid for an atheist to immediately rule them out, or if it's a smart move. I don't have much experience with what they're like. Maybe it's just like a normal school and I'm completely overreacting, or maybe it's like Sunday School but 24/7 and worse.

(I wasn't sure if this should have been but in the Personal Issues thread or not. If it's in the wrong place, please move it.)

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: Atheists and Religious Colleges
I don't have any experience with them myself, but offhand it probably depends on the college. I wouldn't rule them out automatically if some good colleges have your major, but I would be cautious. I would try to find out the extent of the religious influence. Are you going to be required to take religious classes or participate in services? Does the college have any other obvious religious overtones that will put you in conflict? Also, consider that many of the students may choose because of the religion so you will likely find yourself in a lot of discussions related to religion.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
14-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Yeah, in addition to what Impulse said, I'd want to know if there's some sort of "morality rules" I'd have to follow if I attended. If I could get in trouble for fornication, for example, I wouldn't want to attend. Is blasphemy a punishable offense? If so, how do they define it?
14-10-2014, 06:00 AM
You have to weigh each school on its own. GoodwithoutGod attends one, but its so close to his house that it makes it easy to persue what he is after even though there are a few hoops, IIRC he has to take a certain amount of religion classes? He mentioned on another thread, but I'm not sure of the details.

Each school will have good points and downsides.

You could also attend for certain classes that will be required everywhere at a cheaper price with the plan of transferring those credits down the road.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-10-2014, 06:21 AM
I think ruling them out completley is a bad idea. There are some good religious run schools out there that are light on the religion. You really need to look at each school individually and weigh the pro's and con's. if you blanket rule out religious schools, that includes the likes of Baylor, TCU, SMU and a whole list of other good universities.

Remember I do send my kids to catholic schools because they are getting a better education and a better music program than any of the public schools here in town.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
14-10-2014, 06:50 AM
There are also some big name colleges that are religious, Notre Dame, Loyola, Boston College, Fordham, Georgetown, Gonzaga are all catholic backed. There are a bunch of other catholic colleges too.
14-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Rosemount College near Philly is Catholic related, but have agreements with other schools in the area like Drexel for their medical program.

so balance the education, with the price tag, with the class requirements, and the morality codes, etc.

Sometimes you can get the excellent parts very minimal conflict.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-10-2014, 06:56 AM
if its not run and ruled by fundies, evangelical etc without any rules of morality, and other BS that the kid has to follow, has rules that aren't in anyway religious in nature, anti-discrimination policy, no religious endorsement policy etc then its ok
14-10-2014, 08:21 AM
As a Brit the idea of having colleges and universities selling themselves as religious is ridiculous...My questions would be about how the religion affects the course you want to do and then to weigh the pros and cons on that basis.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
14-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Most of the religious universities across the states that are accredited are just as solid as most public schools. Some listed above are higher up and there's really no incentive or demand for you to be religious.. There are some that may require 1 or 2 Religious studies type courses to get a degree but that's the main everyday extent from them being different.

A few I would definitely cross off the list as adequate for an equal education/lack of religious pressure. Brigham Young University, the Mormon college is a place I've heard has more higher religious standards than normal. A kid can be booted from the school for having premarital sex I think, potentially that only applies to scholarships. There's also some creationist schools and a couple phony ones that you see the answers in genesis guys frequently have degrees from. But those aren't common universities.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson