Atheists and Religious Colleges

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 08:56 AM
RE: Atheists and Religious Colleges
Depends. By religious do you mean BYU or Notre Dame? This is a BIG difference. Daunting no to the first is completely understandable. The second have good aspects.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2014, 11:32 AM
(14-10-2014 08:21 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  As a Brit the idea of having colleges and universities selling themselves as religious is ridiculous...My questions would be about how the religion affects the course you want to do and then to weigh the pros and cons on that basis.

Not just as a Brit. As a European the idea is ridiculous.

I thought that religious universities were rare institutions that only the most zealous follower went to in America and the only courses they had were Christian themed. Reading this thread though it's slowly occuring to me that things are very different in America.
14-10-2014, 12:16 PM
(14-10-2014 11:32 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 08:21 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  As a Brit the idea of having colleges and universities selling themselves as religious is ridiculous...My questions would be about how the religion affects the course you want to do and then to weigh the pros and cons on that basis.

Not just as a Brit. As a European the idea is ridiculous.

I thought that religious universities were rare institutions that only the most zealous follower went to in America and the only courses they had were Christian themed. Reading this thread though it's slowly occuring to me that things are very different in America.

There are a few rabid colleges, such as Oral Roberts University and BYU. These institutions (almost) require you to be a member of their religion before you can apply.* I'd bet the farm that all the texts used have been vetted for appropriateness, if not written especially for the occasion.

The Catholic schools have a few required religious courses, and most are taught by Catholics, but they do offer non-religious fields of study. They have had to open their doors a little wider or face declining enrollment, as have the Catholic high schools.

There are a number of "affiliated" colleges that profess a connection to a certain religion, but it's often pretty tenuous these days. I attended a college that was affiliated with the Methodist church and never once heard a word about religion. There is a Chapel on campus, but I only set foot in it for 1 wedding.

State universities cannot require any religious involvement, although some in the deep south may ~encourage~ it. Private schools can do whateverthehell they want.

* Requirement waived if you are a damn good football player.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
14-10-2014, 03:02 PM
(14-10-2014 08:56 AM)natachan Wrote:  Depends. By religious do you mean BYU or Notre Dame? This is a BIG difference. Daunting no to the first is completely understandable. The second have good aspects.

I just kind of blanket statemented it, I didn't really think of a particular level of religiosity. I refused to look at ones at a non-religious college hosted college fair, though, which is probably a fair sign of legitimacy.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
14-10-2014, 03:08 PM

There is touchdown Jesus overlooking Notre Dame's football field. And we know, god loves football!

[Image: touchdown-jesus.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
14-10-2014, 04:09 PM
(13-10-2014 06:45 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  My family's recently taken issue with my strict "No religious schools ever under any circumstances I don't care if they come crawling on their knees begging me to attend" policy when it comes to picking a college. They're kind of assuming these colleges have my major without looking, and it's likely they don't, but still they're bothering me about it.

I want to see if you guys think it's stupid for an atheist to immediately rule them out, or if it's a smart move. I don't have much experience with what they're like. Maybe it's just like a normal school and I'm completely overreacting, or maybe it's like Sunday School but 24/7 and worse.

(I wasn't sure if this should have been but in the Personal Issues thread or not. If it's in the wrong place, please move it.)

I have gotten one of my degrees from saint leo university; bachelors in criminal justice with specialization in homeland security. I have a minor in religious studies from there as well (subject fascinates me, and to know ones enemy is too defeat them) and I am currently working on my masters in criminal justice with specialization in critical incident management. I also have a AS in physiology and exercise science from an online university...funny how a high school drop out came to love college many years later. the point is, when you attend a religious university, they have a minimum of religious courses requirement...at saint leo that number is three, one must choose and pass three courses in religious studies to get any degree from them. They are easy. I have never hidden the fact I am an atheist, and go at the classes pretty hard, never gotten undeserved grades. I am dean's list all the way with straight A's and a 3.98 GPA. Just my experience...

My wife turned down the chance to go to law school at regent university because they require you to bring a letter of endorsement from your pastor and must pass a oral board of inquiry where they question your faith....F that she said.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
14-10-2014, 04:51 PM
(14-10-2014 04:09 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 06:45 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  My family's recently taken issue with my strict "No religious schools ever under any circumstances I don't care if they come crawling on their knees begging me to attend" policy when it comes to picking a college. They're kind of assuming these colleges have my major without looking, and it's likely they don't, but still they're bothering me about it.

I want to see if you guys think it's stupid for an atheist to immediately rule them out, or if it's a smart move. I don't have much experience with what they're like. Maybe it's just like a normal school and I'm completely overreacting, or maybe it's like Sunday School but 24/7 and worse.

(I wasn't sure if this should have been but in the Personal Issues thread or not. If it's in the wrong place, please move it.)

I have gotten one of my degrees from saint leo university; bachelors in criminal justice with specialization in homeland security. I have a minor in religious studies from there as well (subject fascinates me, and to know ones enemy is too defeat them) and I am currently working on my masters in criminal justice with specialization in critical incident management. I also have a AS in physiology and exercise science from an online university...funny how a high school drop out came to love college many years later. the point is, when you attend a religious university, they have a minimum of religious courses requirement...at saint leo that number is three, one must choose and pass three courses in religious studies to get any degree from them. They are easy. I have never hidden the fact I am an atheist, and go at the classes pretty hard, never gotten undeserved grades. I am dean's list all the way with straight A's and a 3.98 GPA. Just my experience...

My wife turned down the chance to go to law school at regent university because they require you to bring a letter of endorsement from your pastor and must pass a oral board of inquiry where they question your faith....F that she said.

Wife is a wise woman. Thumbsup

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
14-10-2014, 04:54 PM
(14-10-2014 04:51 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 04:09 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I have gotten one of my degrees from saint leo university; bachelors in criminal justice with specialization in homeland security. I have a minor in religious studies from there as well (subject fascinates me, and to know ones enemy is too defeat them) and I am currently working on my masters in criminal justice with specialization in critical incident management. I also have a AS in physiology and exercise science from an online university...funny how a high school drop out came to love college many years later. the point is, when you attend a religious university, they have a minimum of religious courses requirement...at saint leo that number is three, one must choose and pass three courses in religious studies to get any degree from them. They are easy. I have never hidden the fact I am an atheist, and go at the classes pretty hard, never gotten undeserved grades. I am dean's list all the way with straight A's and a 3.98 GPA. Just my experience...

Wife is a wise woman. Thumbsup

She truly is. She is also deans list, and is also working on the same master's degree as I am, in fact she is 2 semesters ahead of me Dodgy Although I can smack talk her because my GPA is .02 higher Laugh out load

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
14-10-2014, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 01:03 AM by CleverUsername.)
(14-10-2014 04:09 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I have gotten one of my degrees from saint leo university; bachelors in criminal justice with specialization in homeland security. I have a minor in religious studies from there as well (subject fascinates me, and to know ones enemy is too defeat them) and I am currently working on my masters in criminal justice with specialization in critical incident management. I also have a AS in physiology and exercise science from an online university...funny how a high school drop out came to love college many years later. the point is, when you attend a religious university, they have a minimum of religious courses requirement...at saint leo that number is three, one must choose and pass three courses in religious studies to get any degree from them. They are easy. I have never hidden the fact I am an atheist, and go at the classes pretty hard, never gotten undeserved grades. I am dean's list all the way with straight A's and a 3.98 GPA. Just my experience...

I'd heard of the religious courses/studies thing. Is it like an objective thing on multiple religions, or is it more like teaching the fake stuff as fact? At your specific college, I mean, you probably can't answer that for everywhere.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.