Atheists and science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Atheists and science
So what's up with theists constantly assuming that atheism exists because of science?

Are all of you atheist because of science?

I'm not, science has absolutely nothing to do with why I am an atheist.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 03:12 PM
RE: Atheists and science
1. Don't know.
2. Yes
21-02-2014, 03:15 PM
(21-02-2014 03:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  So what's up with theists constantly assuming that atheism exists because of science?

Are all of you atheist because of science?
I'm not, science has absolutely nothing to do with why I am an atheist.

No, because I wasnt even old enough to know anything scientific, I just instinctively knew that somethings just cant be real.

Maybe thats why I became so good at being a gearhead, those things worked for a reason that made sense, and bullshit is weeded out in the proof (evidence).

Really not that hard of a concept to me.... but I'm a bit weird in my train of thought. Beat_stick

Big Grin

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
21-02-2014, 03:18 PM
It's really funny.

Without you even mentioning science, they go like "scientists have an agenda and science is not perfect and science has caused man misery, so why are you an atheist?"

I didn't bother with science when I first realized I'm an atheist. I started to appreciate science because I was one.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
21-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Half / half. Always been skeptical. Religion seemed too boring and too bloody ritualistic and too controlling. Interest in science made me suspicious and skeptical inquirer magazine gave me the tools to finally nail down what exactly made me feel so damned uncomfortable about the 'truths' claimed by religion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-02-2014, 03:32 PM
(21-02-2014 03:18 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  It's really funny.

Without you even mentioning science, they go like "scientists have an agenda and science is not perfect and science has caused man misery, so why are you an atheist?"

I didn't bother with science when I first realized I'm an atheist. I started to appreciate science because I was one.

That is how it was with me too. First I decided religion was a bunch of hog wash, later (much later) I decided that science explained much of what religion didn't. I was only 10 when I became an atheist, I wouldn't have known science if it bit me. There are plenty of non scientific reasons to reject religion.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-02-2014, 03:55 PM
I fall to my knees on the altar of Gravity and
I learn to adapt at the church of Evolution.

I'm also proud to say I have never had to repent for violating any of the Laws of Physics.

Praise be to the Holy Trinity of Galileo, Newton & Einstein! Blessed be their names. Ramen. Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
21-02-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm guessing theists assume atheists are associated strongly with science because god can't be found anywhere in science. Science may be a contributing factor as to why people do not agree with religion, but there are many more reasons why a person may be an atheist.

For me, it was primarily Philosophy. From Science though, I did pick off on understanding questions we did not have the answer to. I learned about the god of the gaps argument through Science, and while it may not be 100% the reason I'm an atheist, it certainly is a respectable portion of that percentage.

Religious people need to learn how faulty and illogical their god is not only scientifically, but philosophically, morally, etc before they automatically point accusatory fingers at people saying, "You just want to find a way past god, you worship Science!"

Science shows you what there is, what is there. The individual from that may make their own observations, although without science, they are merely guesses with no facts/evidence.

Theists love to point out things we don't know, or things we cannot find comprehensible and things science cannot explain. It is then that they point to that and say,"it couldn't have happened any other way without god." Obviously this is extremely fallacious, but religion gives people a false sense that they have an answer to something that they do not at all. It's very easy to sit there and say, "oh god did it." For people who say that, that is the argument of ignorance. Certain people cannot fathom things and are so myopic that they can't see another way other than a supernatural celestial north-Korean dictator. This destroys anything beautiful or complex in my eyes anyways, how the result of everything could just be a guy sitting there and making shit up. I as an atheist believe that science is the best way of knowing things, in terms of cosmological things such as the origin of our universe. The intellectually honest position in regards to the question of our origin is we don't know!

These theists you're describing probably associate atheism with science because science disproves their religion and does not denote any sort of supernatural presence. They're scared of science and it's funny how they try to say science is bad and faulty when that obviously couldn't be further from the truth.

Besides, instead of, "In god we trust", how about, "In reason we trust?"

Or...

[Image: inscience_thumb.png]

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
21-02-2014, 04:26 PM
(21-02-2014 03:56 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Besides, instead of, "In god we trust", how about, "In reason we trust?"

That's just it. People think that if they can question science, it means one cannot be atheist anymore.

But religion is both illogical and immoral, and would be so whether there was any science or not.

Arguing against science does nothing to lend legitimacy to religion, even if it were a successful argument (which it never is).

I think they just can't imagine that one can simply have no belief. So they think if it isn't god we believe in, it has to be science, hence if they attack science, we will have to come back to god because there is nothing else to believe in.

Not sure if this is worded to make any sense...Tongue

21-02-2014, 04:27 PM
I began by first realizing the bible was actually more like mythology. Then later, I learned why religion was important from a sociological, psychological and with a smattering anthropological reasons that involved the social constructs.

Some people consider those parts of science. Big Grin (kinda Shy )

That said, cosmology, astronomy, math related stuff and evolution didn't play any sort of part...those I consider more sciencey....

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon