Atheists and science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 04:38 PM
RE: Atheists and science
I would rather everyone would just say: I trust in the scientific method.

Theists use the word "science" in a perjorative way, they equate it with the word "religion".

A person can be religious but not scientiligious.
You can be a scientist but not a religionist.

I don't think the religious see the difference.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-02-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm an atheist because my parents trusted me to think for myself. When I learned at a the age of 8 that there was some guy named Jesus who was supposed to be the son of god it sounded fishy to me. Even at 8 years old I knew it was dumb.

When I finally got around to reading the ol' bible in college it just confirmed what my 8 year old self realized. After that science creeped into my life and it just made sense of the world, unlike the bible.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
21-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm an atheist because of mythology; I realized if the crazy origin stories of other cultures were in a different book I'd be taking them as fact.

Science is a part of why I stayed one, but it's a small part. Mainly it's because of the tons of contradictions, and there are a few other (also small) factors.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
21-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I grew up with my mother reading me Aesop's fables and stories from the Brothers Grimm. I knew that they were fictional, I applied the same thought process to the Bible. I am continually shocked that other people didn't/don't. Science solidified my thinking that things in the Bible and therefore religion, were the stuff of fiction and not of fact.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-02-2014, 07:25 PM
If theists can't blame science and consequently scientists, then the alternative is that people are becoming atheists not because they have been mislead but because they are not convinced by religious teachings. That's far more difficult to accept as a theist.
21-02-2014, 09:36 PM
My parents split when I was young. I always got toys and clothes from Mom; microscopes, chem sets, telescopes, maps, circuit boards and cool science related things from my Dad. From the time I could walk, I followed my Dad around and he taught me about anything he was doing(usually building things). Religion didn't come up much. Still, I'm pretty sure that my understanding of the world around me was a lead factor in my skepticism.
22-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Re: Atheists and science
They blame a naturalistic way of looking for answers for atheism, opposed to a, this supposedly truthful book gives answers.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Science had a good deal to do with why I'm an atheist. There were far too many disagreements between science and religion and I can test a scientific assertion to find out if it holds true.

I grow tired of the "you're just as religious about science as I am about God" arguments. I was recently told that because I haven't actually done any particle physics experiments, that I was taking the word of scientists on blind faith and that made me "religious" about particle physics. Facepalm Weeping

No, dumb fucks, that's not how it works. See, it is actually possible for me to attend a college, learn all about particle physics, get time on a supercollider and do the experiments for myself. There is no such possibility with God. (I suppose you could kill yourself if you really wanted to do an experiment.)

As to why so many theist believe that atheism only exists due to science, I can only guess. From my limited personal experience dealing with this, I'd say it's because science is the antithesis of religion. I've heard it said, by religious people, that education is the greatest enemy of religion. Science is merely a convenient scapegoat to blame apostasy and non-belief on. They can not fathom that anyone would turn from faith of their own accord, so something must have caused them to become an atheist. Why look any further when you already have a suitable answer. That would require thought and introspection. Better to just blame it on "lies from the pit of hell" as it was so eloquently stated not too long ago.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
25-02-2014, 07:30 PM
(21-02-2014 04:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 03:56 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Besides, instead of, "In god we trust", how about, "In reason we trust?"

That's just it. People think that if they can question science, it means one cannot be atheist anymore.

But religion is both illogical and immoral, and would be so whether there was any science or not.

Arguing against science does nothing to lend legitimacy to religion, even if it were a successful argument (which it never is).

I think they just can't imagine that one can simply have no belief. So they think if it isn't god we believe in, it has to be science, hence if they attack science, we will have to come back to god because there is nothing else to believe in.

Not sure if this is worded to make any sense...Tongue

I'm pretty sure arguing against science WITH ACTUAL EVIDENCE gets you revised theories, hypothesis-es, and also laws.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
25-02-2014, 07:30 PM
(21-02-2014 07:25 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  If theists can't blame science and consequently scientists, then the alternative is that people are becoming atheists not because they have been mislead but because they are not convinced by religious teachings. That's far more difficult to accept as a theist.

Ramen.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post