Atheists and science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 09:42 PM
RE: Atheists and science
I had an interest in science even as a young kid, but that's not what made me an atheist. I was an atheist because everything I heard in church seemed ridiculous and unbelievable. As a kid, I thought adults were just faking it to scare children, and that it was exactly like Santa Claus (I also knew Santa wasn't real before my peers did, I remember arguing about it). I think I just never saw a good reason to believe so I've always been an atheist, no real deconversion to speak of. I never really believed, but it took some years to gather the courage to say so out loud and stop faking it.

Makes me think of a conversation with a creationist on another forum; dude started out by saying evolution is "just another religion" and how much he loves Ken Hamm. [facepalm]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
25-02-2014, 10:00 PM
(21-02-2014 03:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  So what's up with theists constantly assuming that atheism exists because of science?

Are all of you atheist because of science?

I'm not, science has absolutely nothing to do with why I am an atheist.

1) because science brings up facts that contradict what's in the bible and makes it harder to defend their faith therefore science was created by us damned souls/Satan to challenge their belief? Just a guess.

2) Ah hahaha, hahaha, hahaha. No. I'm laughing because I can not grasp science for the life of me. Granted I know very basic things but science doesn't click with me. To pain the picture better, I took an asston of note in my science classes (biology and physics), studied them for hours before each test, and squeaked by the classes with a C- (well I would have in physics if he didn't have us correct our test for make up points). Basically if I try to learn a science thing and I have to relay what I just learned, it comes out, "well, it does the science and the science does that there science thing and all because science." There's lot of arm waving too. I'm trying to learn though (I blame all y'alls) and it's going like this as I read:
[Image: exploding_head.jpg?w=400&h=392]
So, in short, hell no. I deconverted because I realized how stupid it all was.

Also, if any of you know good books for people like me that are...scientifically challenged, send the titles my way. It's a plus if they include pretty pictures.

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
25-02-2014, 10:22 PM
For me it was origins of the bible and studying the apocrypha. Then I took an anthropology class and learned how evolution *actually* works, so my deconversion was partly based on science. Then I took a class on mythology and that just cleared any remaining religious bullshit right up.
26-02-2014, 03:46 AM
(25-02-2014 10:00 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Also, if any of you know good books for people like me that are...scientifically challenged, send the titles my way. It's a plus if they include pretty pictures.

Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan.

It describes the scientific method for lay people and lays out a baloney detection kit of rules for identifying woo.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-02-2014, 03:59 AM
(26-02-2014 03:46 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 10:00 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Also, if any of you know good books for people like me that are...scientifically challenged, send the titles my way. It's a plus if they include pretty pictures.

Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan.

It describes the scientific method for lay people and lays out a baloney detection kit of rules for identifying woo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGkfs9WU98s Thumbsup complete (mostly) audio book

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
27-02-2014, 04:28 PM
I actually studied the bible thats why i became an atheist. Science just made me leave creationism because i learned that AIG was wrong when it came to science, and not being a creationist=/= atheist.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
27-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Partially because of science but also because of logic and history:
1. The Bible is the main reason I lost belief
2. History shows that events in bible occurred for more human reasons than stated in the Bible
3. The math with number of souls does not add up
4. Astronomy, a science, has unintentionally proven wrong many religions beliefs
5. Anthropology, a science has proven that, we, modern humans are not that special
6. Biology have found that many things attributed to the spirit actually exist in the brain and cells
7. Physics has proven that celestial beings with energy are impossible to exist

So I guess that science is very influential in Atheism for me.

I don't dislike you, I simply don't care.
[+] 1 user Likes virtual's post
28-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Gaining a better understanding of science is what served as the catalyst for my loss of faith. So, for me, yes.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2014, 08:45 AM
It's frustrating when the majority of Christians are too stupid to understand that science doesn't contradict their faith. If they took the time to research their own religion and science they would feel like idiots.

But, since they somehow believe that science is an enemy to Christianity, then obviously, atheism is fueled by science. Right? Makes perfect sense.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-02-2014, 09:18 AM
(28-02-2014 08:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's frustrating when the majority of Christians are too stupid to understand that science doesn't contradict their faith. If they took the time to research their own religion and science they would feel like idiots.

But, since they somehow believe that science is an enemy to Christianity, then obviously, atheism is fueled by science. Right? Makes perfect sense.

The idea of evolution is an enemy to many Christians. Especially young earthers/biblical literalists. Ergo science is bad. Hobo

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.