Atheists are no better than Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2014, 06:32 AM
RE: Atheists are no better than Christians
(13-06-2014 08:50 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 06:03 AM)gilius2k14 Wrote:  Atheists are just as easily duped into belief systems as Christians. Atheists may not believe in God, yet they still make other ill assumptions about the Bible such as the historicity of Jesus. And when the real hardcore evidence comes along proving the origin of Christianity as a government project nobody has anything good to say about the man who made it happen - Joseph Atwill - in the same way that the expert fossil hunters had nothing good to say about the man who made Jurassic Park.
http://www.caesarsmessiahproven.com

If you cannot see what's happening here, for example, then you are just as foolish as Christians:
http://www.caesarsmessiahproven.com/signs.htm
http://www.caesarsmessiahproven.com/pics/model.jpg

It's absolute kids' stuff!

“and in 70 AD, Roman armies under General Titus smashed Jerusalem and destroyed the great Jewish temple which was the heart of Jewish worship…in fulfillment of Christ’s prophecy in Matthew 24:2.http://www.redicecreations.com/specialre...islam.html
Then there are those of us who don't give a rats ass about the historicity of Jesus. Sure it's an interesting topic but its pretty irrelevant. I wouldn't say that atheists or Christians are easily duped. I'd say people in general are.
That is if you are not a perpetual sceptic.

Thumbsup

What the OP doesn't comprehend is whether a man named jesus actually existed or not is hardly the point. Since all the magical stuff was completely fabricated, and lacks one shred of validation or substantiation it really doesn't matter if a man named jesus existed or not now does it? I think a man named jesus most likely did exist, and was apparently quite the charismatic little wannabe prophet Laughat, with most likely a heavy amount of crazy, and he was the basis of a fabrication of the religion called christianity, with tons of exaggerations and made up BS to spice it up and woo the uneducated natives. Bowing OP should thank emperor Constantine for making it the religion of choice because if it wasn't for him, the major religion of the world may have turned out to be Mithra.

But in the end, who F###ing cares? Whether he existed or not, he wasn't the JC superstar miracle performing semi god of the bible who initiated zombie invasions and rose into the sky bidding all a good night.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
15-06-2014, 04:44 AM
Exactly. If you are out to bring down a religion, you had better be coming with evidence of its nefarious origins to a standard high enough to convince at least a bunch of atheists. Preferably to a standard at least high enough to convince an overwhelming consensus of academics researching in the relevant field. We know through experience in fields such as geology and biology that such a consensus and high standard of evidence is not enough, of course, but it does seem at least to be a minimum standard in order to achieve widespread penetration into the marketplace of ideas.

For we atheists there is little incentive to take sides on esoteric questions about the origin of a particular religion. We already have just cause to think the religion is false. It doesn't sway my reasoning one way or another to think of Jesus as either a mythologised historical person or as an entirely mythological figure. It doesn't sway my reasoning one way or another to think of the early church as a local cult bent by local political themes or as a deliberate construction by some specific entity. These questions are of nearly as little importance to me as to which of the two "ten commandments" is the true set. Sure, it may be something to poke in the eye of a believer if the moment called for it but would amount to a debating tactic, not a formal argument.

There are those in this world who care deeply about this question of the historical Jesus and the formation of the early church. I can't say that I care enough to have a considered opinion, and I think that is fairly true of most atheists you'll find.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
18-06-2014, 11:34 PM
(13-06-2014 06:03 AM)gilius2k14 Wrote:  Atheists are just as easily duped into belief systems as Christians. Atheists may not believe in God, yet they still make other ill assumptions about the Bible such as the historicity of Jesus. And when the real hardcore evidence comes along proving the origin of Christianity as a government project nobody has anything good to say about the man who made it happen - Joseph Atwill - in the same way that the expert fossil hunters had nothing good to say about the man who made Jurassic Park.
http://www.caesarsmessiahproven.com

If you cannot see what's happening here, for example, then you are just as foolish as Christians:
http://www.caesarsmessiahproven.com/signs.htm
http://www.caesarsmessiahproven.com/pics/model.jpg

It's absolute kids' stuff!

“and in 70 AD, Roman armies under General Titus smashed Jerusalem and destroyed the great Jewish temple which was the heart of Jewish worship…in fulfillment of Christ’s prophecy in Matthew 24:2.http://www.redicecreations.com/specialre...islam.html

So by your title, the pot is calling the tea kettle black.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
18-06-2014, 11:53 PM
(13-06-2014 11:00 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Any magician knows that most anyone can be fooled given the right setup. As skeptical people we tend to examine claims with a finer tooth comb than religious people in general. Its how we arrived at atheism. I can be duped by a car salesman, your average pretty girl, a stripper who says she finds me sexy or even by my son who asks to borrow the car so he can get something at the store real quick. (and then he's gone for 3 hrs)

I've never made the claim that I can't be fooled, but so far all religious attempts have failed. Their magic tricks, though well rehearsed, are ones I've seen time and time again. I know how they work.

If you say you have evidence, that's great. Go present to people who scrutinize it, poke holes in it to see if it stands up to the poking. I'm not that person.

Walk the gauntlet and if what you say is true it will remain to be true at the end of the gauntlet.

I don't have to take your word for it.

Instead of all the links, you might start with just one position you hold to be true and then we can discuss that.

Sound good ?

Very well put.

I am not an expert on epistemology, archaeology, theology, or in any field that might be at all helpful in really getting to the bottom of the Atwill theory. I have examined the evidence myself, to the best that I could understand and others could explain it to me. I find it plausible but unlikely. But fuck what I think. If most biblical scholars change their mind then I will take it more seriously, and probably change my mind too. I don't really understand lots of things, like global warming for instance, but lots of smart and well educated people tell me its a problem so I tend to believe them. Not the most independent way to think, and certainly not fool proof, but we must all recognize our own limitations.

We can certainly play amateur hour and discuss it though. Nothing wrong with that, this is what a web forum is for. Dropping the condescension, and bringing up one relevant and salient point at a time would do a lot to bring about that kind of discussion. Mark was kind enough to do that in another thread and we all learned quite a bit.
19-06-2014, 12:35 PM
(18-06-2014 11:53 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(13-06-2014 11:00 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Any magician knows that most anyone can be fooled given the right setup. As skeptical people we tend to examine claims with a finer tooth comb than religious people in general. Its how we arrived at atheism. I can be duped by a car salesman, your average pretty girl, a stripper who says she finds me sexy or even by my son who asks to borrow the car so he can get something at the store real quick. (and then he's gone for 3 hrs)

I've never made the claim that I can't be fooled, but so far all religious attempts have failed. Their magic tricks, though well rehearsed, are ones I've seen time and time again. I know how they work.

If you say you have evidence, that's great. Go present to people who scrutinize it, poke holes in it to see if it stands up to the poking. I'm not that person.

Walk the gauntlet and if what you say is true it will remain to be true at the end of the gauntlet.

I don't have to take your word for it.

Instead of all the links, you might start with just one position you hold to be true and then we can discuss that.

Sound good ?

Very well put.

I am not an expert on epistemology, archaeology, theology, or in any field that might be at all helpful in really getting to the bottom of the Atwill theory. I have examined the evidence myself, to the best that I could understand and others could explain it to me. I find it plausible but unlikely. But fuck what I think. If most biblical scholars change their mind then I will take it more seriously, and probably change my mind too. I don't really understand lots of things, like global warming for instance, but lots of smart and well educated people tell me its a problem so I tend to believe them. Not the most independent way to think, and certainly not fool proof, but we must all recognize our own limitations.

We can certainly play amateur hour and discuss it though. Nothing wrong with that, this is what a web forum is for. Dropping the condescension, and bringing up one relevant and salient point at a time would do a lot to bring about that kind of discussion. Mark was kind enough to do that in another thread and we all learned quite a bit.

Not wanting to side line this topic or anything but thought I would share a quick video that explains the basic idea of global warming.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results