Atheists are not superior...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2015, 09:13 PM
RE: Atheists are not superior...
(11-07-2015 09:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 09:10 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm not reading through six pages of this. I read the first two. As my Aussie friend used to say, can't be arsed.

I'll give theists a hard time only if they come here and claim to know the truth or ignore peer-reviewed evidence or writings. If they say something like the story of Adam & Eve is literal, they deserve to be mocked. I'll give theists a hard time in person if they want their religion to be my law when it serves no purpose otherwise.

I can't get on board with the 7 colors idea. Maybe it's the artist in me, but the ROY G BIV is, well, bullshit. Yes, you can categorize 7 basic color names, but to say that's all we have is limiting in itself. I've done artwork by hand and on computer, and no matter if I use RGB, HSL, CMYK, Pantone, acrylic, Dr. Ph. Martin, or something else, I feel bad for people who can only name the 7 basic colors.

I'm not sure if you were trying to say this, but the 7-color idea has no basis in any argument regarding theism vs atheism. I can't quite put that into any coherent use at all in this sort of debate.

Maybe he is trying to say God is Bob Ross?

That would make more sense.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Dude, as a scientist, one must accept the fact that this god may be real. Duh!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
11-07-2015, 09:17 PM
(11-07-2015 09:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Maybe he is trying to say God is Bob Ross?
[Image: sam%20jackson%20bob%20ross_zpspk8i9q3w.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Clockwork's post
11-07-2015, 09:28 PM
(11-07-2015 07:24 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 06:57 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  People read too much 'holy shit' into what I say - I'm an Atheist. Faith is just a word to me for confidence - relax, no need to quote or compare with scripture I already said that's bullshit.

As a scientist I have a theory that something is probable - based on evidence and previous testing - but I can't prove it unless I am confident (have the faith) and believe that I will get a worthwhile result - otherwise I won't bother testing.

So confidence is important - you understood me - it's nothing more. I have theist friends that don't let it get in the way - why should we.

I'm not in any way promoting organized religions - just supporting the right to believe and have faith in anything I like. That's not the same.

Spirituality usually gets up other Atheists backs too - but again, they just conflate it with their hate idols.

I disagree.

You see I went from christian, to spiritualist, to agnostic to atheist, the more I learned the less I believed. I have spent my life learning, I have much to learn yet, as we all do. I freely admit my biggest challenge these days is to neutrally review new information without bias, it is a struggle. Especially after 28 years of research. In my humble opinion, the problem isnt even religion per se, the true problem is faith...I dont know the answers, I just know that faith, especially for me, is a failed epistemology.

For many years I was of the "I don't believe, live and let live, why would I care what someone else believes" type of outlook. But I feel that religion slithers its way into politics and shapes the laws of this land which affect everyone, it uses fear to brainwash people, and even more despicably, children into believing absolute BS. It is evil to the core, and the ultimate pyramid scheme..money goes up, nothing of value comes down. it preys on the sick, the gullible, the ignorant, the elderly and the uneducated. Its supporters financially and politically use their organized power to block stem cell research that could lead to the curing of deadly diseases, to block a woman's right to abort, to teach creationism in public schools, etc etc..

This is the reason why as an educated intelligent human being it is my moral responsibility to fight the corrosive creep of religion where ever I find it. To look the other way is to imply by inaction that it is ok, and religion is anything but ok. The moderate religious followers who go to church, seek out fellowship, civil community outreach and support of the homeless and poor are great factors of religion, but we don't need religion to have those in society. There are secular organizations that do the same thing...like foundation beyond belief. Just my opinion of course. But this is why i have been self jarred into more assertive action versus religion.

So no, it isn't ok, and it needs to be taken apart at every opportunity.

Great reply. I agree agree agree. I hate organized religions, but I do have friends that believe in all sorts. Somehow I have to find a place for these people if I am to maintain friendships.
When I was a kid I was indoctrinated as a protestant, my close friends were catholic and some of my family turned Jehovas witnesses. We had visiting ministers to the house who were close friends of my parents - born again Christians and all sorts. I just thought the whole religious idea was a mess. It's easy to see that people lives can be ruined by religion - I had plenty of experience of that with the JW's.

I can see now groups forming everywhere on social media, people on both sides, polarized by petty stupid views about this and that. I wish we could just drop religion so that there is no need for the counterbalanced atheist reactionary in the first place. People obviously don't want to bury the hatchet.
[+] 1 user Likes xeberdee's post
11-07-2015, 09:38 PM
(11-07-2015 09:28 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  Great reply. I agree agree agree. I hate organized religions, but I do have friends that believe in all sorts. Somehow I have to find a place for these people if I am to maintain friendships.
When I was a kid I was indoctrinated as a protestant, my close friends were catholic and some of my family turned Jehovas witnesses. We had visiting ministers to the house who were close friends of my parents - born again Christians and all sorts. I just thought the whole religious idea was a mess. It's easy to see that people lives can be ruined by religion - I had plenty of experience of that with the JW's.

I can see now groups forming everywhere on social media, people on both sides, polarized by petty stupid views about this and that. I wish we could just drop religion so that there is no need for the counterbalanced atheist reactionary in the first place. People obviously don't want to bury the hatchet.

How does any of this tie in with you wanting us to respect the possibility of the supernatural?

As a "scientist" you must be aware there is only evidence for the natural.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
11-07-2015, 09:42 PM
(11-07-2015 09:38 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 09:28 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  Great reply. I agree agree agree. I hate organized religions, but I do have friends that believe in all sorts. Somehow I have to find a place for these people if I am to maintain friendships.

How does any of this tie in with you wanting us to respect the possibility of the supernatural?

I think he's trying to say not to doubt the pussy in the box.

Oh wait.
That may be redundant.
Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-07-2015, 09:48 PM
[Image: giphy.gif]

Banjo.
11-07-2015, 09:48 PM
(11-07-2015 09:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 09:38 PM)Banjo Wrote:  How does any of this tie in with you wanting us to respect the possibility of the supernatural?

I think he's trying to say not to doubt the pussy in the box.

Oh wait.
That may be redundant.
Angel

[img][Image: Peasofdis.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-07-2015, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2015 10:13 PM by WalkingSnake.)
2 Things

"Leave Religion Alone"

Look I think badgering people and acting like you're better than them is problematic. Yes, that's wrong. You say you're an atheist, okay, I'll take your word for it. But from what I can tell, you're of the S. E. Cupp variety of atheist, in that you think most of the rest of atheists simply have an agenda to attack religion. That might seem like an interesting way to a noble defense of your fellow man, if it were true. And I can tell you from my perspective, it just isn't.

Your speech that we should lay off the religious and let them be, just seems to ignore some major points. Think about why it is that atheists (especially American atheists and other nonreligious in the Western civilization) give a lot of attention to Christians, with Muslims coming in close second, followed by other active and influential religions. Why don't atheists really show much attention to the more passive and non-mainstream religions? Why? Here's why: Matthew 28.

We're not leaving Christians alone, because they aren't leaving us and the rest of the world alone. It's actually a commandment that defines a major part of their religion that they NOT leave the world alone. Especially here in America and other western countries where many conservative Christians have taken this conversion thing to a political level and want not just the citizens to be Christian, but the government as well. But even the more liberal Christians still view Matthew 28 to be a major part of defining what they are all about.

Now I'm not encouraging atheists to run up to some random Christian on the street and start yelling at them like, "You're stupid, there's no God, so there!" Or just start laughing at families at restaurants when they pray before their food. but really, who the fuck does those things? But things like putting up billboards, writing letters, having tv shows, radio shows, podcasts, websites like these, etc... just finding ways to raise awareness and encourage the religious to rethink religion, and to encourage people to realize that it's okay to say, "I don't know". That's what atheism should be about.

Which leads me to my second point:

Faith and who's actually claiming superiority

No, I do not claim that I am smarter than a religious person. Many claim that they know there is a God. And who am I to say, "No they don't"? Though I do think it's a good point: "if you can't show it, then you don't know it." But, hey, if they know, they know. And really, I guess that makes them smarter than me, at least on some aspect. They know something I don't.

Where religion fails however is proving or at least showing some weight of evidence to back up their belief in God. And in the end the religious person has to either commit to their belief in God resting only on faith or simply abandon it all together.

And faith? Yeah, I guess you could say that atheists have some form of faith. But it's faith based on evidence. It's based on experiences.

Growing up in a Christian life, I've heard more than one leader try to give an example of faith with the stupid "chair" analogy. They'll say, "When I sit down in this chair, I have faith it'll hold me and not fall apart."

Unfortunately the chair thing fails miserably. My faith in the chair I'm sitting in right now is based on experience. I've seen what chairs do. I've sat in many chairs. I sit in this current chair a lot. So my faith seems well founded. With God... well I got nothin. I can't see God, I can't feel God, and to my knowledge I can't experience God. I have more reason to believe in this chair I'm sitting in right now than I do in God. Everything that religion has an explanation for, science has an explanation for. And the explanations that science gives are based on things we can experience and test. And for anything that science can't explain... well that's it. We just don't currently have an explanation for it. But religion takes a leap by saying, "Well we do. God did it. And if it's bad: Satan did it."

See, when it comes to this superiority complex you talk about, I'm almost willing to say that it's the other way around. That the religious are the ones who act superior. "We know that our way is right." "God is on our side. The side of good." "Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes unto the Father but by Him." Now, I don't have any numbers in front of me to say who's got more of a superiority complex: religious or atheists. But just looking at the claims made by both parties, I hope you can see the problem there: the religious say "we know how this happened, because our book says so", the atheists say "we don't know how this happened yet, but we can theorize based on what we know and experiments we carry out."

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
11-07-2015, 10:22 PM
[Image: 38173ae43a4aafbdb2a49bcf5bd84fc6c94c283e...a9382f.jpg]

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]