Atheists are not superior...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2015, 11:43 PM
RE: Atheists are not superior...
(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  It seems that most Athiests are trying to define the world in very exact terms.
We can't have that can we!

(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  What I'm talking about is the idea that only logic can define pure and perfect objects such as numbers or points and co-ordinates.

Definition is the final step of concept formation. Logic is a set of principles to guide the organization and validation of concepts. If you propose some non logical way of doing it, I can see why you would be opposed to exactness.

(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  BUT - religion and theism are not really based on stupidity in themselves.

They're based on false metaphysical principles.

Xeb. My philosophy is far superior to the mass of contradictions that all religions promote. I'll say that unflinchingly even if you don't approve. The ideas religion pushes on philosophically unarmed children and adults are not only false, they are dangerous.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
12-07-2015, 01:13 AM
Did.
Not.
Read.

I'll just safely assume my esteemed colleagues did the necessary leg work to say, in short, you dumb.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
12-07-2015, 01:20 AM
I've been in and out of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.
While I don't necessarily think theists are inferior, I dont think the willful ignorance that is used in the face of evidence to the contrary is very intelligent. (See creationism)
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
12-07-2015, 07:27 AM
(11-07-2015 07:37 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  That is not what I say. I'm talking about the many people on this forum and other places that just polarize, rant and insult as soon as I mention the word faith or belief. That's the problem.

No, the problem is that you don't distinguish between the religious use of faith meaning belief without evidence and the rational use of faith meaning belief based on prior evidence. The latter is justifiable, the former is not. They are not equivalent.

Quote:Theistic in what sense? I believe that my emotions run on a different level than my rational mind. There is quite a bit of evidence to support that, and why would that be theistic? I call it spiritual as in it is of my spirit (current emotion).
Emotional responses are often involuntary and irrational. If you choose to bundle it together with all the other 'mumbojumbo' then that's your loss. Humans are more complex than the rational mind.

Form my perspective that is one of the most self-contradictory paragraphs I have ever read. It is true that we don't always fully understand exactly why we react in a specific way but there is no evidence I know of that it is "spiritual" in any way. Something that is unknown is not the same as it being irrational or spiritual.

Please cite the evidence that your emotions run on a different level, whatever that means. Your emotions are the result of the chemical and electrical changes in your brain. I do not bundle them with mumbojumbo, that appears to be your approach.

Quote:The bible is all bullshit, traditions are bullshit, god is bullshit - these things hold us back. What's theist about that viewpoint?

That isn't theistic (although I disagree with at least the first two as blanket statements). Setting the parts of your mind apart as something spiritual because you don't understand how they work and linking the unknown to the supernatural is theistic.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
12-07-2015, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 08:53 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(11-07-2015 09:28 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 07:24 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I disagree.

You see I went from christian, to spiritualist, to agnostic to atheist, the more I learned the less I believed. I have spent my life learning, I have much to learn yet, as we all do. I freely admit my biggest challenge these days is to neutrally review new information without bias, it is a struggle. Especially after 28 years of research. In my humble opinion, the problem isnt even religion per se, the true problem is faith...I dont know the answers, I just know that faith, especially for me, is a failed epistemology.

For many years I was of the "I don't believe, live and let live, why would I care what someone else believes" type of outlook. But I feel that religion slithers its way into politics and shapes the laws of this land which affect everyone, it uses fear to brainwash people, and even more despicably, children into believing absolute BS. It is evil to the core, and the ultimate pyramid scheme..money goes up, nothing of value comes down. it preys on the sick, the gullible, the ignorant, the elderly and the uneducated. Its supporters financially and politically use their organized power to block stem cell research that could lead to the curing of deadly diseases, to block a woman's right to abort, to teach creationism in public schools, etc etc..

This is the reason why as an educated intelligent human being it is my moral responsibility to fight the corrosive creep of religion where ever I find it. To look the other way is to imply by inaction that it is ok, and religion is anything but ok. The moderate religious followers who go to church, seek out fellowship, civil community outreach and support of the homeless and poor are great factors of religion, but we don't need religion to have those in society. There are secular organizations that do the same thing...like foundation beyond belief. Just my opinion of course. But this is why i have been self jarred into more assertive action versus religion.

So no, it isn't ok, and it needs to be taken apart at every opportunity.

Great reply. I agree agree agree. I hate organized religions, but I do have friends that believe in all sorts. Somehow I have to find a place for these people if I am to maintain friendships.
When I was a kid I was indoctrinated as a protestant, my close friends were catholic and some of my family turned Jehovas witnesses. We had visiting ministers to the house who were close friends of my parents - born again Christians and all sorts. I just thought the whole religious idea was a mess. It's easy to see that people lives can be ruined by religion - I had plenty of experience of that with the JW's.

I can see now groups forming everywhere on social media, people on both sides, polarized by petty stupid views about this and that. I wish we could just drop religion so that there is no need for the counterbalanced atheist reactionary in the first place. People obviously don't want to bury the hatchet.

I feel your pain. We were southern baptist, then my parents divorced and mom became a pentecostal fire breathing minister...in fact she is in Africa right now saving the heathens on a big revival tour...she is quite popular as she is passionate and intelligent, but on the polar opposite side of things....it saddens me daily...such a smart woman, too smart to believe such BS. But I truly feel that those who can articulate and counter the misinformation being dumped on the world at every opportunity must do so....while we still can.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-07-2015, 08:20 AM
[Image: semainvlcsnap9148479.png?w=737]

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
12-07-2015, 03:25 PM
(11-07-2015 09:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Maybe he is trying to say God is Bob Ross?

I could at least pretend to worship that god! Laugh out load

[Image: e7fab11aba8ecae1af72c5e0db04f725.jpg]

Bowing

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
13-07-2015, 07:01 AM
It's simple, atheists are superior.
[+] 1 user Likes Typho2k's post
13-07-2015, 07:34 AM
(13-07-2015 07:01 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  It's simple, thinking atheists are superior.

Fixt!

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Bob Moses???

[Image: bob_moses.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.