Atheists are not superior...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Atheists are not superior...
(11-07-2015 04:30 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  Lets take WIKI - and stick to those definitions.

'A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.'

As an Atheist I have a collection of beliefs in a cultural system, My world view relates to humanity and the order of existence. So I am religious too.

'Faith is variously defined as belief, confidence or trust in a person, object, religion, idea or view.'

As an scientist, I have to have confidence in my theory or my idea. Faith is not a dirty word.

This I regard, as well as spirituality, as the valid elements of theism. We should respect them.

We should not respect dogma, tradition, or assumption.

We? You are unlike me even though you claim to be an atheist. I think you are full of shit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-07-2015, 01:17 PM
laser beams

pew pew pew

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
14-07-2015, 01:20 PM
(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  So please stop giving theistic religious people a hard time for just supporting the idea of belief and for using their intuition – it discredits Atheism and it's really just human nature at work.

Sure, as soon as theists quit trying to shove their faith in our faces, and stop trying to enact it into law, I'll be happy to stop telling them to fuck right off.

(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  BUT - religion and theism are not really based on stupidity in themselves. Truth, wonder and mystery are the driving forces of human development, and spirituality (the persuit of internal happiness) does not pose a problem with an Atheistic philosophy. I think we should remember that and resist taking the high ground as Atheists.

Xeb.

I dunno. There are some stupid ideas sourced from religion, or which religion propagates, which fully merit vigorous criticism.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
14-07-2015, 01:25 PM
(14-07-2015 01:20 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  So please stop giving theistic religious people a hard time for just supporting the idea of belief and for using their intuition – it discredits Atheism and it's really just human nature at work.

Sure, as soon as theists quit trying to shove their faith in our faces, and stop trying to enact it into law, I'll be happy to stop telling them to fuck right off.

(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  BUT - religion and theism are not really based on stupidity in themselves. Truth, wonder and mystery are the driving forces of human development, and spirituality (the persuit of internal happiness) does not pose a problem with an Atheistic philosophy. I think we should remember that and resist taking the high ground as Atheists.

Xeb.

I dunno. There are some stupid ideas sourced from religion, or which religion propagates, which fully merit vigorous criticism.

Religion had plenty of time to run unchecked, now look at it.
Stupid ideas need to be questioned before they get a chance to gain traction.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-07-2015, 01:44 PM
(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  It seems that most Athiests are trying to define the world in very exact terms.

Defining how the universe works and how everything is in exact terms is exactly what HUMANS want to do. It's called Curiosity.

Quote:The idea is that Atheism is superior to Theism because it relies on specific evidence with science as it’s backbone.
Yes, atheists do tend to value logic, reason and science, but atheism has nothing to do with science. It's nothing more than the answer to a single question and nothing more.

Quote:Exactness does not appear in nature though, so in some sense this strive for exactness is unatural. What I'm talking about is the idea that only logic can define pure and perfect objects such as numbers or points and co-ordinates. We imagine things such as perfectly rounded objects with clean boundaries in empty spaces, whereas nature is much more messy and is made of hard to define particles in various groupings with energy and forces moving in waves. Nature does nothing that is ever stable or can be exactly defined at any given point, as it is under constant change (the uncertainty principle)
What are you even talking about? How is any of this even remotely relevant to an atheist or science?

What you just said is completely incoherent and makes no sense what so ever, perfect objects? What does that even mean? Perfection doesn't exist. Co Ordinates and points? Nature is more messy and made of hard to define particles in groupings with energy?

So, what? are you trying to say that sceintists are not allowed to try to understand how and why the universe works beacause.....because why again?

Quote:A good example of trying to define exactness in the natural world is color. There is no boundary between colors in the light spectrum, just an infinite number of shades of color where blue changes into green and into yellow etc.. The frequency of light also extends beyond our vision and logically too beyond our instruments. We could find infinite terms to describe infinite shades of light, but we see a loosely defined band of 7 stripes or shades of color and we measure a number of invisible frequency bands on either side of our visible spectrum. (eg. infrared, ultraviolet, gamma, xrays and microwaves).

Color does not exist for one, and secondly. Why are you so against us trying to define colors? Defining things is how we are able to establish knowledge on how to separate them. Which has nothing to do with atheists. You are arguing against science and logic and knowledge.

Quote:The idea that there is something outside of nature or supernatural is not so far fetched even though Atheists claim to be resistant to believe it eg. light continues beyond the range of the eye.

Light has nothing to do with the god claim. We can test light, detect it and light does NOT go beyond our ability to detect it. If we cannot detect light, that light does not exist fucking period. If we can see an electron, we can see any and all light.

Quote:We can’t see it, yet we are happy about it because we have evidence of it through machines that can measure it. Evidence hasn’t always been available though, and yet some people still believed it possible – were they stupid?.

Even without understanind HOW light worked, we could see light before we understood it. We cannot do the same with your god. That is what makes you stupid is because you cannot possibly understand the difference between something that plainly exists that we can prove with math, detect and anylize with computers, see with our eyes and then something that does not fucking exist.

So your whole argument is basically,

We shouldn't define things because I cannot understand any of it, therefor god exists and Christiantiy is superior to atheists.....thats what your saying.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
14-07-2015, 01:47 PM
tl;dr version of this?

14-07-2015, 02:09 PM
(14-07-2015 01:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  tl;dr version of this?

Be nice to theists... so you're welcome KC

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-07-2015, 02:15 PM
(11-07-2015 03:25 PM)xeberdee Wrote:  OK so what's my point?. My point is that Atheists and Theists are really using the same methods and there is no fundamental difference in how our human minds work.

Let me just focus on this quote which is just SOOOO WRONG.

Let's just say an atheist is interested in human evolution. The Neanderthal mitochondrial DNA was sequenced before the genome. No Neanderthal mitochondrial DNA had been found in existing human populations. To the atheist using logic this gives him/her two possibilities 1) Neanderthal and humans did not crossbreed or 2) they did crossbreed, but the Neanderthal mitochondrial lineage died out. When the full Neanderthal genome was sequenced, and it was found that humans outside of Africa have 1-3% Neanderthal DNA, the atheist has to conclude that we indeed crossbred and it is likely that the Mitochondrial DNA lineage died out. This is what the application of logic to the evidence tells the atheist.

Let's consider a theist who believes that the bible is literal. No amount of evidence in the form radiometric evidence is going to convince him/her that the earth is 4.6 billion years old, or that evolution is true. I could go on and on with more examples of the blind belief in the bible in spite of the overwhelming evidence of the much older age of the earth and evolution.

So, no. We do not use the same methods. Not even close. Our minds are working very differently.

Bty you show you limited nature of science by referring to instruments that measure electromagnetic radiation outside of the visible range as machines. Machines do mechanical work. Instruments perform measurements.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
14-07-2015, 02:18 PM
tl;dr

Oh, and yes we are. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-07-2015, 02:30 PM
(14-07-2015 02:09 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 01:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  tl;dr version of this?

Be nice to theists... so you're welcome KC

Be quiet atheist dog.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post