Atheists are religious, Atheism is a religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 08:39 AM
RE: Atheists are religious, Atheism is a religion
One of the best quotes answering the OP is this: Atheism is a religion in the same way as not collecting stamps is a hobby.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 08:47 AM
(26-03-2015 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Is there any such thing as a non-religion? Ergo, if atheism is religious, what would non-religion be called and what would a non-religious person be or believe with regards to religious beliefs and/or theism?

I am still hoping the OP will come back and answer my questions.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-05-2015, 01:35 PM
(22-03-2015 12:25 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 11:52 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  This is the thread where I will argue that Atheism is a religion and atheists are religious.

I will lay down why I think this later tonight. But for now, here is the thread.

Are you always this pompous or are you going out of your way for us?

You've already made it clear that you don't understand atheism as atheists mean it so your arguments aren't likely to have any relevance. Perhaps you should start by defining by what the requirements are to be a religion. That should be amusing.

Do you even understand your own religion (atheism)? For example, where did all matter in the universe originate? Do you believe all matter has existed forever with no beginning or do you believe matter was magically created from nothing? How is your faith superior to any other faith?
14-05-2015, 01:36 PM
(22-03-2015 12:44 PM)Leo Wrote:  This thread could be fun. I have a few questions: what's your definition of religion ? Who is the founder of the atheism religion ? In what year the atheism religion start ? Also you should list the atheism dogmas all atheists believe. What's the name of the atheism holy book ? Who's the current atheist pope or highest atheist priest and why ? You should also list and describe all atheism rituals. Good luck with that.

Do you even understand your own religion (atheism)? For example, where did all matter in the universe originate? Do you believe all matter has existed forever with no beginning or do you believe matter was magically created from nothing? How is your faith superior to any other faith?
14-05-2015, 01:38 PM
(08-04-2015 11:04 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  Let's examine the possible doctrines of the atheistic religion:

Requires a person to believe that the human species is contaminated by strange soul-devouring alien implants that only mysterious alien powers can cure by following the esoteric recipe secretly smuggled into earth's hemisphere and given to some bearded men in tunics and sandals in possession of atramentum and papyrus.

No.

Requires that you believe the Universe is like a snow globe that sits in the invisible palm of a bizarre entity of sorts that enjoys when the ultra-microscopic creations inside offer their unceasing praises with a variety of odd noises and behaviors.

No.

Requires a person to revere sacred texts and ignore all doubts over their validity and soundness.

No.

Requires---

No.

14-05-2015, 01:39 PM
(14-05-2015 01:36 PM)Logic Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 12:44 PM)Leo Wrote:  This thread could be fun. I have a few questions: what's your definition of religion ? Who is the founder of the atheism religion ? In what year the atheism religion start ? Also you should list the atheism dogmas all atheists believe. What's the name of the atheism holy book ? Who's the current atheist pope or highest atheist priest and why ? You should also list and describe all atheism rituals. Good luck with that.

Atheism is not a religion - it is the absence of belief in any gods.

You seem to be confused about this. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-05-2015, 01:39 PM
(09-04-2015 06:05 AM)Mirewood Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 11:52 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  This is the thread where I will argue that Atheism is a religion and atheists are religious.

I will lay down why I think this later tonight. But for now, here is the thread.

This has probably been done to death by now, but atheism is in no way a religion.

A religion is typically defined as "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

It can also be defined as:
(1) a particular system of faith and worship.
(2) A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.

Religions contain a set of organized beliefs concerning the supernatural cause, nature and ultimate purpose of the universe and often include ceremonies, rules and rituals considered sacred by their followers. They contain both cultural views, and shape world-views that relate humans to some supreme order of existence.

In contrast, Atheism is a term that indicates and individual either (a) lacks belief in a god or gods, or (b) takes the position that no gods exist. In a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities - just like theism is the belief in the existence of deities. Neither are religions, but both can be compatible with religions.

To claim that atheism is a religion demonstrates that you fail at grasping basic concepts and simple words. It implies that you have a bias or agenda and is comparable to saying that 'abstinence' is a sexual position or 'not playing basketball' qualifies as a sport.

14-05-2015, 01:42 PM
(14-05-2015 01:36 PM)Logic Wrote:  

Logic...
This reply confuses me. Are you asking these questions of atheists?
If so, you should understand what atheism is first.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-05-2015, 01:45 PM
(25-03-2015 07:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-03-2015 01:46 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  I don't know what to say here any longer. The constant ridicule has taken its toll. TTA has won. I've lost interest at this point. I was wrong to start this thread. The space is yours.

Oh, you poor hypocritical, immature, dishonest, delusional, cry baby. Boo hoo.

Your ideas are being ridiculed because they are ridiculous, and you are being ridiculed for being utterly foolish.
You make pronouncements about subjects that display your ignorance and then defend those positions without ever once trying to learn any new fact about them.

Where did matter originate? This is the belief that defines your religion of choice. You simply believe there was no God and that matter has either existed forever with not beginning or was magically created from nothing. This is a belief and it is your religion of choice. Your logic is not superior to anyone else.
14-05-2015, 01:46 PM
(14-05-2015 01:39 PM)Logic Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 06:05 AM)Mirewood Wrote:  This has probably been done to death by now, but atheism is in no way a religion.

A religion is typically defined as "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

It can also be defined as:
(1) a particular system of faith and worship.
(2) A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.

Religions contain a set of organized beliefs concerning the supernatural cause, nature and ultimate purpose of the universe and often include ceremonies, rules and rituals considered sacred by their followers. They contain both cultural views, and shape world-views that relate humans to some supreme order of existence.

In contrast, Atheism is a term that indicates and individual either (a) lacks belief in a god or gods, or (b) takes the position that no gods exist. In a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities - just like theism is the belief in the existence of deities. Neither are religions, but both can be compatible with religions.

To claim that atheism is a religion demonstrates that you fail at grasping basic concepts and simple words. It implies that you have a bias or agenda and is comparable to saying that 'abstinence' is a sexual position or 'not playing basketball' qualifies as a sport.

Stop posting the same lines over and over. If you haven't anything else to say...saying nothing might be better.

This is your only warning.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post