Atheists are religious, Atheism is a religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2015, 07:16 AM
RE: Atheists are religious, Atheism is a religion
(22-03-2015 11:52 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  This is the thread where I will argue that Atheism is a religion and atheists are religious.

[Image: vEM5NPL.png]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-03-2015, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 07:49 AM by unfogged.)
Wow, looks like I missed all the fun. While most of the ridiculous arguments put forth by LH have been given the consideration they deserve I think I see a couple of small points that deserve more...

(22-03-2015 08:21 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  You have special status to rise above the billions of other people in the world who acknowledge a Creator. You are special snowflakes that are just untouchable by anyone.

The irony in those statements is at a painful level. Theists are the ones who claim a special relationship with the all-powerful creator of the universe who loves them and protects them and wants nothing more than to be with them forever. If you want to see what it is like for somebody to think they have special status and are better than billions of other people just listen to a theist talk about how their religion is the right religion.

Atheists want people to face reality as it is. Theists want people to feel special.

Quote:If we are going to limit ourselves to officially printed statements about what religion and atheism is, then I could always fall on the US Court system. In 2005, the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that atheism is a religion so that inmates could be justified in starting their religious group. That is, their atheist group.

You need to read up on the concept of a legal fiction. Laws and regulations sometimes have special exemptions or considerations for religions and atheists are denied the same privileges because atheism is not normally considered to be a religion. The court is ruling that, for the purposes of treating atheists equally with theists, it makes sense to treat atheism as if it were a religion. That doesn't make it one, it just papers over a gap in the laws without needing to rewrite them all.

You still haven't explained why it actually matters. If everybody agreed that atheism is a religion, so what? Would you feel more justified in dismissing it because it is just another "wrong" religion in your view? We'd still be in exactly the same position that we are in now; if you want to convince atheists that your beliefs are correct you need to show evidence to support those beliefs. You haven't done that; all you've done is attempted to claim that we are as close-minded and dogmatic as you are and you've failed at that as well because, again. to demonstrate that you need to show evidence that we are denying without cause.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post
23-03-2015, 08:10 AM
(22-03-2015 11:52 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  This is the thread where I will argue that Atheism is a religion and atheists are religious.

I will lay down why I think this later tonight. But for now, here is the thread.
Another one... Sleepy

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
23-03-2015, 09:07 AM

I will lay down why I think this later tonight. But for now, here is the thread.

Atheist merely means "off" on one claim, the claim of god/s.

It is not a club, it is not a moral code, it is not a religion, it is not a political party, it is not a loyalty oath.

Out side being "off" on god claims, we are as diverse as any other label. There are Libertarian voting atheists. Liberal voting atheists. There are PC atheists, and people like me who are blunt and will cuss you out in a heartbeat. There are atheists who own guns, and others who hate guns. There are atheists who have conspiracies like 9/11 and JFK, and others like me who know they are full of shit.

Atheist merely means "off". It is not a loyalty oath or moral code.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
23-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Squeezing atheists together into a religion is like herding feral cats.

Hence atheists have no shepherd. They don't fit in any mold. That's what theists here just never seem to get.

Atheists have no common denominator other than the lack of a belief in gods. They are not a group the way religious people are used to seeing. Somehow the only thing theists seem to be able to understand is uniformity.

Dangerous, that. Shocking

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
23-03-2015, 10:08 AM
(23-03-2015 09:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  Squeezing atheists together into a religion is like herding feral cats.

Hence atheists have no shepherd. They don't fit in any mold. That's what theists here just never seem to get.

Atheists have no common denominator other than the lack of a belief in gods. They are not a group the way religious people are used to seeing. Somehow the only thing theists seem to be able to understand is uniformity.

Dangerous, that. Shocking

One caveat though. I see from time to time some atheists trying to write moral code lists to try to compete with religion in order to replace it. I am no fan of this tactic because if they manage to market it, that will become a sect of atheism and if it gets to a political level, it will become a religion.

That is why, while you can have clubs, I still think it is always important for even atheists to understand that it is not a moral code, and should only be seen as "off" on one claim.

Our species ability to be cruel our compassionate is in our evolution, not the labels we assign ourselves or others. If atheists forget that, then we will do no better in the future than what we rightfully reject. We already have secular common law to protect human rights.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
23-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Atheists are religious, Atheism is a religion
Funny, I don't recall insulting anyone. Guess I have to do so now, since I've been charged with it.

Anyway, this is merely another cognitive dissonance concept. Many theists often cannot fathom anyone not having a belief or religion. Since it's at their core, they just cannot envision anyone not having those restraints.

They somehow feel that religion and belief is inherent to the human condition. To them it is a part of life so when someone does not have such things, they think we are somehow deficient or not whole.

Thus, they convince themselves that we must have a religion like them.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
23-03-2015, 10:29 AM
(23-03-2015 10:26 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Anyway, this is merely another cognitive dissonance concept. Many theists often cannot fathom anyone not having a belief or religion. Since it's at their core, they just cannot envision anyone not having those restraints.
Some believers are former atheists
23-03-2015, 10:33 AM
(23-03-2015 10:29 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 10:26 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Anyway, this is merely another cognitive dissonance concept. Many theists often cannot fathom anyone not having a belief or religion. Since it's at their core, they just cannot envision anyone not having those restraints.

Hi funny troll ! The same troll that was banned from atheistforums.com. Nice!Thumbsup

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
23-03-2015, 10:35 AM
(23-03-2015 10:29 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
And some Buddhists are former Hindus.
Some Christians are former Jews.

You have no point.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post