Atheists are the best theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 05:19 PM by nach_in.)
Atheists are the best theists
The whole Bitch... I mean Drich situation got me thinking about something. Theist usually talk about how people should search for god and try to find it no matter what, it's a common denominator in almost every religion, the quest to find god, like it was some kind of cosmic hide and seek game.
They also insist that god hides in its creation and speaks to us from it.

If that's the case, then atheist are the best theist there could be, and science the best way to experience spirituality, because we'd never claim to have found god until we actually found it, and we search and search for truth through the study of nature (aka god's creation).
Even for Pascal's wager terms atheism is the safest position, it's better to say we don't know and won't say we do until we actually do, than stop and risk offending this deity by choosing poorly.

I'm not saying there is a god, but if we venture in the ginormus "IF there's a god" then atheists are the best theists. Shocking

uhg I feel dirty now, plz say I'm wrong Weeping

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like nach_in's post
06-02-2014, 10:45 PM
RE: Atheists are the best theists
(06-02-2014 04:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  uhg I feel dirty now, plz say I'm wrong Weeping

In order to be a good theist, you have to follow your holy book. Atheists don't have a holy book. We're bad theists if we're theists at all.

You're welcome Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like DemonicLemon's post
06-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Atheists definitely have more Theistic knowledge than most theists.
Any Scripture I quote to theist friends is always met with " That's not in the bible",
followed by well that's just describing what happened then, its not Gods will.
followed by, (when you point out Yahweh commanded it), its an example of man interpreting Gods will incorrectly.
Followed by me seeking face palm ointment.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
06-02-2014, 11:05 PM
(06-02-2014 04:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  uhg I feel dirty now, plz say I'm wrong Weeping

You're wrong. Now go get me a beer, and put it in a frosty mug. I could use a massage too.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
06-02-2014, 11:27 PM
(06-02-2014 11:05 PM)toadaly Wrote:  

You're wrong. Now go get me a beer, and put it in a frosty mug. I could use a massage too.

kinky Drooling

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-02-2014, 07:43 AM
(06-02-2014 04:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  ...the quest to find god, like it was some kind of cosmic hide and seek game.

If that's the case, then atheist are the best theist there could be, and science the best way to experience spirituality, because we'd never claim to have found god until we actually found it, and we search and search for truth through the study of nature (aka god's creation).

Don't worry: you're wrong.

You have to remember that when they talk amongst themselves, they believe that God interacts with the world so much and in so many ways that it'd be pretty testable. It's only once they start talking to skeptics that their god suddenly become very distant and hidden. You could look for your entire life and never find that god because it's designed purposefully to be impossible to observe.

Or, you could look for the god they talk about with each other on Sundays, and you'd be able to empirically prove that god doesn't exist, or at least, not in the way that they say he does.

There's a reason theists say that faith is so important for believing in God. We lack that. We'd make shitty theists.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-02-2014, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 08:53 AM by WitchSabrina.)
(06-02-2014 04:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  The whole Bitch... I mean Drich situation got me thinking about something. Theist usually talk about how people should search for god and try to find it no matter what, it's a common denominator in almost every religion, the quest to find god, like it was some kind of cosmic hide and seek game.

Even for Pascal's wager terms atheism is the safest position, it's better to say we don't know and won't say we do until we actually do, than stop and risk offending this deity by choosing poorly.

I'm not saying there is a god, but if we venture in the ginormus "IF there's a god" then atheists are the best theists. Shocking

Uh no --- Atheists don't believe in god so they don't *seek* god. Not from what I've seen. Now, do they know more when it comes to the research? Yes from what I've seen they certainly do. Looking at the lack of evidence etc is not the same thing as 'looking for god' and it's certainly not for the same reasons.

cheers

Yanno --- I'm not sure "looking at lack of evidence" is a grouping of words that makes sense.
*hangs head in shame*

but --- you know what I mean - right? LOL

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
07-02-2014, 10:04 AM
(06-02-2014 04:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm not saying there is a god, but if we venture in the ginormus "IF there's a god" then atheists are the best theists. Shocking

I thought you were going to say that it is because atheist have done a lot of "soul" searching and Bibul reading and scientific reading in the search for answers. From the discussions on this board I would say that as a group we know more about the Bibul than the believers who drop in.

Who can top docskeptic in scripture knowledge?
Who can top Bucky Ball or Mark Fulton in historical context?
There are authors here of anti-religious books like Diogenes of Mayberry, Mark Fulton and Buddy Christ.
And good luck in debating Vosur, Chas, cjlr, Girly...you'll have your theistic head handed to you on a plate.

Anyway, say ten Hail Marys and five Our Father's then go and sin no more. Sleepy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
(06-02-2014 04:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  The whole Bitch... I mean Drich situation got me thinking about something. Theist usually talk about how people should search for god and try to find it no matter what, it's a common denominator in almost every religion, the quest to find god, like it was some kind of cosmic hide and seek game.

1.) Why should I look for something that I don't give two shits about? What does it have to offer and is it worth the trouble?

2.) What if this god doesn't want to be found?
07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Atheists are not theists so they can't be best theists.
As for searching god their books clearly stated that you must believe or you will bear the consequences. Nobody gives a fuck about evidence.