Atheists, beware!: Scientific proof of God found!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 01:26 PM by KVron.)
Atheists, beware!: Scientific proof of God found!
You can prove god's existence with a Macbook!!

Quote:Two scientists have formalized a theorem regarding the existence of God penned by mathematician Kurt Gödel.

Using an ordinary MacBook computer, they have shown that Gödel's proof was correct -- at least on a mathematical level -- by way of higher modal logic.
Their initial submission on the arXiv.org research article server is called "Formalization, Mechanization and Automation of Gödel's Proof of God's Existence."

Full article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/compute...d=20678984

-- edit: Mods, if you think this should be under Science please feel free to move it. --

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2015, 01:28 PM
RE: Atheists, beware!: Scientific proof of God found!
If I'm reading the article about the paper right (can't find the paper itself), this is a demonstration of a computer's ability to engage in formal logic in showing that certain premises and axioms necessitate a certain conclusion. It does not, however, prove the uderlying truth of those premises or the conclusion that they would necessitate if true.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
11-03-2015, 01:30 PM
GIGO. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
11-03-2015, 01:43 PM
It's a solid advance in computing, but Gödel's theorem on God is bullshit as it rests on a specious existence assumption.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-03-2015, 04:52 PM
So a computer did something it was programmed to do.

Will miracles never cease ?

I'm obviously missing the point of all this.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
11-03-2015, 07:30 PM
If it proves God, the program definitely has a bug.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
11-03-2015, 07:53 PM
(11-03-2015 01:28 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  If I'm reading the article about the paper right (can't find the paper itself), this is a demonstration of a computer's ability to engage in formal logic in showing that certain premises and axioms necessitate a certain conclusion. It does not, however, prove the uderlying truth of those premises or the conclusion that they would necessitate if true.

And as Carroll pointed out to Craig, there are any number of formal logical systems which are logically correct, but non-existent.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-03-2015, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 07:59 PM by Reltzik.)
(11-03-2015 04:52 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So a computer did something it was programmed to do.

Will miracles never cease ?

I'm obviously missing the point of all this.

That's a bit like looking at a tele-operation surgical machine (which allows doctors in, say, Australia, to perform surgery on someone in, say, New York), and saying, "So a machine does what it's designed to do."

The point is that programmers were ABLE to program it to understand, track, verify, explore, and project formal logic. A new tool's been added to the arsenal (though if I understand it right, it's been around for a few years, and its only this recent silly use of it that's getting press). That capability has a lot of implications for a field like mathematics. It allows the automation and streamlining tasks that used to take weeks, months, or years, and which used to strain the capacity of human intelligence.

(11-03-2015 07:30 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If it proves God, the program definitely has a bug.

The program works just fine. The problem is lousy input (the bad premises of the ontological argument.) Garbage in, garbage out.
11-03-2015, 09:11 PM
The biggest fail is that you are trusting a Macbook for anything.
12-03-2015, 09:36 AM
God lives in a Macbook. Whodda thunk it? The prophet Jobs would be proud.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus