Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2013, 07:48 AM
RE: Atheists can only criticize the Old Testament but not the New
Sola fides. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 09:59 AM by JAH.)
If I may, there are much better biblical scholars here so I only offer an over view of why the OT may be more frequently criticized than the NT.

The OT has more obvious things to criticize. Murdering, rape, pillaging, impregnating slaves, ridiculous food restrictions, sacrificing on alters stuff that is obviously outside the norm for what one is taught in christianity is a benevolent god.

Objections to the NT are more subtle: Lack of uniformity in the gospels; The batshit crazy nature of revelations: The questionable negation of OT laws; The randomness of jesus's healing.

In christian teaching jesus is presented as this kind benevolent representation of god who is only on earth for a brief time and who is intended to free people from original sin. As Bucky Ball points out this is certainly debatable but that is the presentation. It is easier to criticize the vengeful/killing god of the OT than the (as presented) kind and benevolent god of the NT.
Find all posts by this user
10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
(09-06-2013 11:35 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I have noticed that most of the criticisms atheists does are only on the Old Testament. I can only count a few criticisms against the New Testament. Always, a Christian would say that Jesus was a symbol of grace and mercy that is why his harsh punishments have already changed in the NT. And that is their biggest argument. Some would also say that it's affected too by the culture in the old times. Today, it's no longer applicable that's why we don't obey anymore the harsh treatments to women, children etc like stoning to death, beating and the likes.

So if you were to critic the NT, how would you "burn" it and the Christians who defend it?
The flaw is in the folks that take the Historical Fiction of bibles, including the koran, as literal, and the religious leaders that interpret these books and preach it as gospel for profit. The books themselves are great books to study if one is intelligent enough to know fact from fiction. I suggest you study the history of when, where, and why the books were written, and disregard any present day interpreters/ preachers/businessmen selling their goods. Especially the top two religions, christianity and muslim interpretations, as those two are completely wrong. They are set up for the purpose of profit and influence.
10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Remember all the babies two and under that were killed because Jesus was born, but Jesus was able to flee the country? God is so good. Heart

Boy, it's a good thing I wasn't blind BEFORE Jesus turned 30. If I was a blind friend of his when we were 10, I was screwed! Praise Jesus.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
10-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Book of Revelation. That shit is insane! So insane it doesn't even need to be disputed. Just read it and you realize it's all bullshit.

A leapord with seven heads, and ten horns on those heads, with feet like a bears and a dagger in one of it's 14 eyes?!?!?!???? Done...

A star lands on earth and is given a key from an angel, and the star (a massive nuclear ball of plasma orders of magnitude larger than the earth) unlocks a pit in the earth with a key (using it's star hands and fingers I guess) releasing locusts with human faces and long girly hair, lions' teeth in their mouths, and look like horses with scorpion tails, and are wearing suits of armor, but are still considered locust?????!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????? DONE again.....

And I haven't even got to the ridiculous stuff yet.
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
10-06-2013, 11:15 AM
OT = The bad: plagues, slavery, genocide, baby killing etc. etc.
The good (relatively speaking): once you were dead the torture ended.

NT = The good: Consider I'll have to get back to you on this one.
The bad: Eternal hell and damnation forever and ever and ever and ever...

I think I liked the OT bastard better, he didn't hold Censored grudges for eternity.

E T E R N I T Y

That's even longer than arguing with childeye on the meaning of words.
That's like being Egor and holding on to one life outlook longer than 72 hours.
That's like being Dan Reeves and having to read a 500 word scientific paper.

It's freaking long!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
10-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I like the part where Jesus curses a fig tree.

Because he wants a fig.

And it's not fig season.

Our saviour, ladies and gentlemen.
[+] 8 users Like cjlr's post
10-06-2013, 11:25 AM
(10-06-2013 11:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I like the part where Jesus curses a fig tree.

Because he wants a fig.

And it's not fig season.

Our saviour, ladies and gentlemen.

He didn't just curse it...he murdered that fig tree.
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
10-06-2013, 11:45 AM
So I checked out the fig tree bit. jesus was as oppressive as yahweh. Willing to kill rather than to allow the tree to bear fruit out of season.

What a wonderful god humans have constructed.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
10-06-2013, 11:52 AM
The NT may not be as action packed as the OT but it's full of contradictions, bad advice (No thought for the morrow etc), condones slavery, promulgating a slave mentality and evil (depart from me...). I think both books are ridiculous.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume