Atheists conversion in prison

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Atheists conversion in prison
Yeah, I know this subject has been discussed before but I came across a comment from someone who had worked in the Middle East and who noticed that Christian and Hindus would convert to Islam in prison for the simple reason that they were treated better. My reaction to that comment was.... so much for the superiority and morality of Christianity. It's a "whatever works best for me" attitude especially if it helps to get out a little sooner. I would imagine that American prisons echo a similar reality.

Is there anyone on the forum from a more atheist leaning country who is knowledgeable about prisoners attitude towards religion? Is religion in prisons even a "thing"? I'm curious

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-09-2015, 12:31 PM
RE: Atheists conversion in prison
In Arizona the joint was all about politics, I have no reason to think it is different elsewhere. Which is to say, the tribal leader (shotcaller) determined the religiosity of the tribe. In general everyone (who wasn't black) was either Christian or didn't talk about it. If you were black, you could actually be Muslim. Yay! Clap

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-09-2015, 01:52 PM
(04-09-2015 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah, I know this subject has been discussed before but I came across a comment from someone who had worked in the Middle East and who noticed that Christian and Hindus would convert to Islam in prison for the simple reason that they were treated better. My reaction to that comment was.... so much for the superiority and morality of Christianity. It's a "whatever works best for me" attitude especially if it helps to get out a little sooner. I would imagine that American prisons echo a similar reality.

Is there anyone on the forum from a more atheist leaning country who is knowledgeable about prisoners attitude towards religion? Is religion in prisons even a "thing"? I'm curious

THANK YOU for sharing that. It underscores the point I've made on other threads that a person may profess to follow Jesus yet not actually follow Jesus.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2015, 01:56 PM
I met plenty of xtian converts in my experience, & my cellmate even got a KJB from the library. This experience came right after my atheistic affirming moment, so I was full of the desire to shoot down every religious thing I encountered; this wasn't helped by feelings of wrongful detention (that's a whole different story), or frustration with my father for telling me I "should be thanking god" from the other side of the visitation glass. My cellmate would spend most nights asking me questions about passages he had read during the day, & I would do my best to answer them. He was just starting, & we are all pretty aware of the grotesque spectacles that exist in the OT. I garnered a strange respect from most of the block for being thoughtful, & educated, & never had so much as a single confrontation- granted I was only a visitor in comparison to many of the others. I don't think I changed any minds, but it was an experience.
[+] 2 users Like 7R0MM3L's post
04-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Though I don't have any statistics on overall numbers, while briefly working in Ontario corrections I saw it happen on occasion. Some young, Canadian born white kid making the conversion to Islam for a number of reasons. Being treated better is kind of true in a sense, given the political climate. If an inmate starts rattling off their dietary preference, generally they're pretty much told to go fuck themselves. If they're Muslim, on the other hand, then religion comes into play and all sorts of concessions are made to make sure they get a meal that makes them happy. Nonetheless, I don't think that was the primary reason. I think it had more to do with fear and the need to protect themselves through association. I wouldn't go so far as to say that most of the inmates were Muslim, not by a long shot, but the ones who were tended to group together more. Particularly those associated with Somalian gangs, which is a thing in Ottawa and Toronto.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
04-09-2015, 03:46 PM
(04-09-2015 02:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Particularly those associated with Somalian gangs, which is a thing in Ottawa and Toronto.

You got pirates in Canada? That is so cool.

#sigh
04-09-2015, 04:08 PM
I know some evangelical types that work in prisons -- hired by the prisons specifically.

Captive audiences are the best. Thumbsup

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Oddly enough -- by definition, those "Christian groups" in prison are an example of prison gang affiliation --- as it's very likely that these people join not out of conviction -- but for protection.....

I say they should get stuck in solitary confinement for their affiliation -- and we'll see how deep their beliefs really go....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-09-2015, 04:18 PM
(04-09-2015 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 02:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Particularly those associated with Somalian gangs, which is a thing in Ottawa and Toronto.

You got pirates in Canada? That is so cool.

Almost no hurricane either. Truly we are a blessed land.

@Q Continuum

Allow me to make the joke it's too easy. The only way to truly follow Jesus is to kill yourself to clean you and your people from your sins. After all, that's what he did.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
04-09-2015, 04:29 PM
(04-09-2015 04:18 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You got pirates in Canada? That is so cool.

Almost no hurricane either. Truly we are a blessed land.

You keep telling yourself that. Winter is coming.

[Image: canada.gif]

#sigh