Atheists conversion in prison

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 05:05 PM
RE: Atheists conversion in prison
I was hoping Rocketsurgeon would add to this discussion.

Oooooh Rocketsurgeon! Hello?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 05:06 PM
(04-09-2015 01:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah, I know this subject has been discussed before but I came across a comment from someone who had worked in the Middle East and who noticed that Christian and Hindus would convert to Islam in prison for the simple reason that they were treated better. My reaction to that comment was.... so much for the superiority and morality of Christianity. It's a "whatever works best for me" attitude especially if it helps to get out a little sooner. I would imagine that American prisons echo a similar reality.

Is there anyone on the forum from a more atheist leaning country who is knowledgeable about prisoners attitude towards religion? Is religion in prisons even a "thing"? I'm curious

THANK YOU for sharing that. It underscores the point I've made on other threads that a person may profess to follow Jesus yet not actually follow Jesus.

And no one disputes that. Your point? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2015, 05:07 PM
(04-09-2015 01:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  THANK YOU for sharing that. It underscores the point I've made on other threads that a person may profess to follow Jesus yet not actually follow Jesus.

This is news? I think most of us know that - it's often referred to as hypocrisy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
04-09-2015, 05:21 PM
(04-09-2015 05:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 01:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  THANK YOU for sharing that. It underscores the point I've made on other threads that a person may profess to follow Jesus yet not actually follow Jesus.

This is news? I think most of us know that - it's often referred to as hypocrisy.

He's writing his autobiography.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Somewhere I read that Bible thumpers are allowed, even encouraged, to go into prisons and proselytize to their hearts content. They have a captive audience (he he) who convert, repent, accept Jesus and all that rot. It doesn't seem to prevent them from returning to prison when they are released.

04-09-2015, 05:23 PM
(04-09-2015 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 02:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Particularly those associated with Somalian gangs, which is a thing in Ottawa and Toronto.

You got pirates in Canada? That is so cool.

It went something like this:

Canada, in all it's niceness, decided to take pity on Somalians fleeing the chaos of their once relatively normal country. They brought with them a bunch of kids who were born into that violence and had never experienced that normality. The parents, for the most part, became productive law abiding citizens. Their fucked up kids, through no fault of their own, became a bunch of little shits who are now teenagers and young adults, and Somalian gangs have, in the last decade, gone from non existent to a big problem that your average middle class Canadian doesn't even know about.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-09-2015, 05:40 PM
(04-09-2015 05:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You got pirates in Canada? That is so cool.

It went something like this:

Canada, in all it's niceness, decided to take pity on Somalians fleeing the chaos of their once relatively normal country. They brought with them a bunch of kids who were born into that violence and had never experienced that normality. The parents, for the most part, became productive law abiding citizens. Their fucked up kids, through no fault of their own, became a bunch of little shits who are now teenagers and young adults, and Somalian gangs have, in the last decade, gone from non existent to a big problem that your average middle class Canadian doesn't even know about.

Ahem, well I guess I gotta go with the flow of the thread here.

So, these Somalian gangs... are they in the streets creating havoc, like robbing, selling drugs. How the hell do gangs up there "hang out" when it's 30 below? Do they have like a summer rush of ganghood then retreat when winter hits?

I sometimes think northern countries have less crime because it's too fuckin cold to live the crime ridden life.

04-09-2015, 05:56 PM
(04-09-2015 05:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Somewhere I read that Bible thumpers are allowed, even encouraged, to go into prisons and proselytize to their hearts content. They have a captive audience (he he) who convert, repent, accept Jesus and all that rot. It doesn't seem to prevent them from returning to prison when they are released.

Again....

I know two people (evangelical christians) who were HIRED by prison officials to speak to inmates about how their brand of christianity can save them from sin. Yes, according to them they are both on the payroll. They consider them counselors (despite having zero training as such).

Neither holds any type of degree or have any qualification to preach (meaning they're not actual ministers but are considered representatives of whatever religion. Both were former gang members who say they're now part of a better gang....Facepalm

The inmates get good behavior points for attending their "meetings".

The catholics also send priests into prisons but they don't charge the prisons (that I'm aware of), and hold bible study meetings with inmates. They can also perform sacraments (confession, absolution, communion).

Outreach is important to bible thumpers...prisons are rife with people who have done bad things and want to scratch a little time off their sentences.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-09-2015, 05:59 PM
(04-09-2015 05:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 05:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It went something like this:

Ahem, well I guess I gotta go with the flow of the thread here.

So, these Somalian gangs... are they in the streets creating havoc, like robbing, selling drugs. How the hell do gangs up there "hang out" when it's 30 below? Do they have like a summer rush of ganghood then retreat when winter hits?

I sometimes think northern countries have less crime because it's too fuckin cold to live the crime ridden life.

Mostly drug dealing or the violence associated with it. Here's an interesting article from a few users ago. It mostly involves the problems in Alberta, while I personally had more experience dealing with the ones in Ontario. Same background, same result
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...ice=mobile

'Murican Canadian
04-09-2015, 06:08 PM
I also aided in the deportation of a few Somali inmates. It was essentially a death sentence and they knew it. Fortunately I have a heartless bastard switch I can turn on when necessary.

'Murican Canadian