Atheists conversion in prison

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 06:53 PM
RE: Atheists conversion in prison
(04-09-2015 06:08 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I also aided in the deportation of a few Somali inmates. It was essentially a death sentence and they knew it. Fortunately I have a heartless bastard switch I can turn on when necessary.

Yeah, if you had a heart you'd've shot them in the head when they weren't looking.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-09-2015, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 07:01 PM by yakherder.)
(04-09-2015 06:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 06:08 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I also aided in the deportation of a few Somali inmates. It was essentially a death sentence and they knew it. Fortunately I have a heartless bastard switch I can turn on when necessary.

Yeah, if you had a heart you'd've shot them in the head when they weren't looking.

Perhaps in a different context. I'm domesticated enough that I usually follow the rules, if for no other reason than to stay out of prison myself.

I don't hold anything against anyone, just business. Cause effect, and the pursuit of an objective. Heck even some of the terrorist wannabes, if they were civil and rational, I'd sit down and have philosophical discussions with them. Some had interesting stories to tell.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-09-2015, 06:58 PM
(04-09-2015 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah, I know this subject has been discussed before but I came across a comment from someone who had worked in the Middle East and who noticed that Christian and Hindus would convert to Islam in prison for the simple reason that they were treated better. My reaction to that comment was.... so much for the superiority and morality of Christianity. It's a "whatever works best for me" attitude especially if it helps to get out a little sooner. I would imagine that American prisons echo a similar reality.

Is there anyone on the forum from a more atheist leaning country who is knowledgeable about prisoners attitude towards religion? Is religion in prisons even a "thing"? I'm curious

I had to read a book in a Criminal Justice class called 'More God, Less Crime' that was about a group that works their way into the prisons to sponsor prisoners. The inmates have to attend Bible studies and spend a certain amount of time a day reading the Bible. In exchange they get goodies from the congregation and a promise of help when they are released.

There were no figures regarding who actually converted and who played the game but the author saw it as a victory...god over crime.

It read like a sales pitch. Pissed me off that I had to buy, read, and write a report on that piece of religious propaganda.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-09-2015, 01:08 AM
(04-09-2015 01:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah, I know this subject has been discussed before but I came across a comment from someone who had worked in the Middle East and who noticed that Christian and Hindus would convert to Islam in prison for the simple reason that they were treated better. My reaction to that comment was.... so much for the superiority and morality of Christianity. It's a "whatever works best for me" attitude especially if it helps to get out a little sooner. I would imagine that American prisons echo a similar reality.

Is there anyone on the forum from a more atheist leaning country who is knowledgeable about prisoners attitude towards religion? Is religion in prisons even a "thing"? I'm curious

THANK YOU for sharing that. It underscores the point I've made on other threads that a person may profess to follow Jesus yet not actually follow Jesus.

No doubt there are at least anywhere between thousands to a couple million or so world wide that just pretend out of fear of loosing their family, spouse, or community.

Especially if you are a Jomamma's witness or a Mormon.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
09-09-2015, 12:28 PM
(04-09-2015 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 01:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  THANK YOU for sharing that. It underscores the point I've made on other threads that a person may profess to follow Jesus yet not actually follow Jesus.

And no one disputes that. Your point? Consider

Why, NTS, of course. You should stop calling me a hypocrite. You, according to NTS, cannot judge my lack of hypocrisy. Drinking Beverage

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2015, 11:37 AM
This video making the rounds is where I used to work during my brief time in Ontario Corrections lol. It's weird seeing this and recognizing every single one of them, both inmates and officers. It actually makes me kind of nostalgic.

Last time I was in the facility was January, two months before this incident. Oh the things I'd like to say, but I should probably keep to myself on a public forum since this guy's case is so high profile. I will say this. He was put into seg for his protection, but kept whining to his lawyers about how we were treating him unfairly and not letting him go into general population. The area in the video is part of max, so I guess he got his wish granted. He then apparently went to work trying to do some jihadi conversions. Didn't work out too well for him...

'Murican Canadian
15-09-2015, 12:06 PM

But you still like kittens and puppies, right Blink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
15-09-2015, 12:09 PM
(15-09-2015 12:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

But you still like kittens and puppies, right Blink

More so than most people Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-09-2015, 12:09 PM
(04-09-2015 05:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was hoping Rocketsurgeon would add to this discussion.

Oooooh Rocketsurgeon! Hello?

He's over at atheistforums now Sad

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
15-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Around 1989 I spent six months in U.S. federal prison for trespass and doing $60 worth of damage in connection with a peaceful, nonviolent anti-nuclear protest. I was 41 years old. I spent time at the federal prisons in Yankton, South Dakota, El Reno, Oklahoma, Oxford, Wisconsin, and Sandstone, Minnesota. While I never wavered in my atheism, I was exposed to a lot of pacifist Christians in the anti-nuclear movement, and based on their talk, I had concluded that although Jesus was not God, because there is no God, he was a pretty cool dude. So while I was in prison I read all four Gospels and the Book of Acts. I had previously read parts of the Old Testament.

At El Reno, a small group of friendly but certifiably insane Christians were permitted to gather in one of their cells (generally such gatherings were prohibited: there's no right of assembly in prison) to have Bible study. I joined them. Out of the entire population of my overcrowded cell block, there were about half a dozen, including me, in this little group. I.e., basically none of the prisoners had any interest in Bible study. They would read the Bible at each other and take turns preaching. It was an egalitarian little group. Nobody was in charge. Whoever felt like it would read any passage they liked, and take turns discussing it. One in particular did a very good comedy performance imitating a fire-and-brimstone preacher with lots of gasping for breath between hysterical pronouncements. Of course, he didn't think he was doing comedy.

These meetings were something to do to alleviate the boredom.

El Reno was the one prison I was in that really looked like a Hollywood prison, with the four levels of cells in the block, and the iron bars that clanged when the guards remotely opened or closed them, and the exercise yard was surrounded by two concentric chain-link fences with coiled razor wire between and on top of them, and the machine gun towers at the corners, and if you got too close to the fence (such as to retrieve a ball) a very serious-sounding voice would come on the loudspeaker saying "Move away from the fence!" El Reno housed prisoners at all security levels.

So my own very limited but first-hand experience is that few prisoners are into religion.

As a result of my Bible reading I came to the conclusion that Jesus was a complete nutter. I still think he was kind of cool, but a nutter. How anyone could think he was the Messiah predicted in the Old Testament is entirely beyond me. A few parlor tricks is all. The Messiah was supposed to be a new king for the Jews. Jesus was mocked with a crown of thorns. But since he did not become the king, he clearly was not the guy the Jews were waiting for. If anybody has not read the Bible, it's got some pretty interesting stuff in it. As long as you read it for what it is: fiction, and the basis for the insanity of a significant chunk of people.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post