Atheists do not have a clue!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: Atheists do not have a clue!
(26-06-2013 07:50 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  If there is an affirmative case to be made for the existence of god and the veracity of a particular religious viewpoint, by all means lay it on me. I'll listen.

No? Nothing? Disappointing. I'd love to hear a case.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2013, 06:04 PM
(27-06-2013 05:59 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  
(26-06-2013 07:50 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  If there is an affirmative case to be made for the existence of god and the veracity of a particular religious viewpoint, by all means lay it on me. I'll listen.

No? Nothing? Disappointing. I'd love to hear a case.

Who are you, again? Tongue

Mr Bill, I'd like you to meet theword. Say hello to the good man, theword.

Hobo athesits suk Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Rolling out the prayer quotes

Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. - Ambrose Bierce

I think that quote needs a corollary:

Pray, v.: 2- to ask god to change his perfect, preordained plan because you think you know better. -FC

What’s the use of being God if every rundown schmuck with a two dollar prayer can come along and fuck up your divine plan? - George Carlin

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -Emo Philips

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I have a hypothesis on why the world is in such turmoil: prayer. My thinking is as follows:

God is all knowing and omnipotent and perfect. He was here before the universe and stars and he conceived His perfect Grand Design. But now we humans are questioning His un-erring judgment by asking Him through prayer to change things as He made them and wants them to be. We ask for this or that, for help, for others to change their ways, for us to win a war, for inner peace, for food on our plates or for a cure to some disease. No matter how benevolent we may think of what we are asking for, what we are really saying is “Hey God, I think you fucked up, can’t you see I have cancer and am dying?”

Meanwhile God knew from time immemorial you were going to have cancer, in fact that is what He wanted all the time. But the supplicant believes he knows better than God and so he pisses Him off by asking to be cured. Before the beginning of time He knew you were going to piss Him off so not only do you have cancer but after you die you’re going to Hell for insinuating you knew better by asking Him to change His perfect Grand Design.

If you believe in the perfect, all-knowing, omnipotent being that created all and everything is exactly as He wants it to be then prayer isn’t necessary because all has been preordained and things will be the way He planned them to be with or without your input. I don’t think a god would care one iota what any of us think about His perfect plan.

So my advice to all those that believe in gods and pray is to suck it up, whatever is happening to you is exactly what God wanted so quit wasting time in church and get home before you miss the game.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-06-2013, 10:32 PM
(26-06-2013 08:43 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(26-06-2013 07:47 PM)theword Wrote:  Why do atheists take everything out of context and think if Christians pray for something it is God's obligation to oblige?

Are you sure you are praying correctly?

I used to have that fat lady's part from the video of her speaking in tongues for a ringtone and on my answering machine greeting.
[+] 1 user Likes spectre68's post
28-06-2013, 01:17 AM
So... No fun believers to play with still? Just the Theotroll of yesteryear?

Been away fer some time now.. I kinda hoped we would have had something new to play with by now...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-06-2013, 10:38 AM
No, what atheists do not have is any evidence of the efficacy of prayer or the existence of gods.

You nor anyone has provided any.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-06-2013, 11:05 AM
(28-06-2013 10:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, what atheists do not have is any evidence of the efficacy of prayer or the existence of gods.

Actually, we have evidence for several modes of effectiveness for prayer. As a non-inclusive list...

It is effective as a placebo for all varieties of ills and injustice. (Granted, placebos don't have MUCH effect, but they make people who buy into them a little happier.)

It is effective at propping up individual beliefs in God (by providing the illusion of a conversation with Him).

Praying for someone is an effective passive-aggressive retort for almost any situation, in so far as the goal of passive-aggressiveness is to make yourself feel superior and your opponent feel awkward.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
28-06-2013, 11:29 AM
(28-06-2013 11:05 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 10:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, what atheists do not have is any evidence of the efficacy of prayer or the existence of gods.

Actually, we have evidence for several modes of effectiveness for prayer. As a non-inclusive list...

It is effective as a placebo for all varieties of ills and injustice. (Granted, placebos don't have MUCH effect, but they make people who buy into them a little happier.)

It is effective at propping up individual beliefs in God (by providing the illusion of a conversation with Him).

Praying for someone is an effective passive-aggressive retort for almost any situation, in so far as the goal of passive-aggressiveness is to make yourself feel superior and your opponent feel awkward.

Ah, but I said efficacy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-06-2013, 11:45 AM
(26-06-2013 07:47 PM)theword Wrote:  Why do atheists take everything out of context and think if Christians pray for something it is God's obligation to oblige?

Atheists don't say that its god's obligation to oblige. They say that god is not there to oblige. Because god does not exist.

Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
[+] 1 user Likes MrAttacus's post