Atheists do not have a clue!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 01:05 PM
RE: Atheists do not have a clue!
theword

"Why do atheists take everything out of context and think if Christians pray for something it is God's obligation to oblige? "

"Why do atheists take everything out of context". . . This is actually your first question. This indicates that you think that atheist's don't think about things very carefully. Then you ask a pretty deep question: "if Christians pray for something it is God's obligation to oblige? " Excellent question! Now, I have one for you: "if Christians pray for something it is God's obligation to oblige? " Of course, you realize that their are a whole bunch of people on Earth . . . (a whole bunch in the universe?) . . . praying to a whole bunch of different gods, for conflicting things. So, we have a myriad of gods, with a myriad of people praying. You've chosen one god. Just as silly as all those other gods. Another question for you: When you pray to "god". do you also pray to Zeus?

You have the right answer! God couldn't possibly answer all those conflicting prayers! But dude! . . . you're asking the wrong questions!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Theword? As in the Trashmens's 1963 surf hit? Bird, bird, bird, bird is the word...no, no, that doesn't seem correct, sorry for the digression.

I checked high and low for a clue. But I couldn't find a spare, but I did find my other set of keys I thought I lost, so thanks for that!. Other than finding that I base my views on evidence and reason I found the following!

1) Fork for eating babies. Salt and Pepper for me please, a bit of a purist you see.
2) Satanic Bible - Because we have to worship him, right?
3) Instructions on how to hate something I don't believe in.
4) A photo of Charles Darwin, you know we all worship him so we won't pretend.

I'm sure there is more but I'm hungry and there are babies to track down.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
28-06-2013, 01:44 PM
KidCharlemagne

"Theword? As in the Trashmens's 1963 surf hit? Bird, bird, bird, bird is the word...no, no, that doesn't seem correct, sorry for the digression." etc.

You're very evil man, and doomed to hell! But look on the bright side! That's where all those babies who haven't been baptized are! Save me a leg!
[+] 2 users Like Ameron1963's post
28-06-2013, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2013 03:47 PM by kim.)
(26-06-2013 07:47 PM)theword Wrote:  Why do atheists take everything out of context and think if Christians pray for something it is God's obligation to oblige?

Non theists very often take a cue from the theist and in this case, since the theists' own rule book says that if a person believes and asks with prayer, that desire will be made manifest.

Matthew is quite the chatty one - even talks about Jesus having siblings.
21.22 - If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

Mark is precise and kind of matter of fact - no frills.
11.24 - Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Consider
Hmm, unless someone doesn't believe that stuff or simply has no faith. Like me. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-06-2013, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2013 03:48 PM by kim.)
"Non theists very often take a cue from the theist and in this case, since the theists' own rule book says that if a person believes and asks with prayer, that desire will be made manifest."

My prayer:

"Dear god! Please understand that many of your creations actually use the brain you gave us! We can't believe that you actually exist, because, well, there's no evidence to support the idea that you do! So, if you would be so kind (If you do exist) please don't hurt me! I wish I could say that I have never hurt anyone, but I really can't! From what I've read, you've hurt many! So give me the gift you have given others! Talk to me! Bring me into the fold! Don't roast me for eternity forever! . . . You asshole!
28-06-2013, 03:40 PM
I admit, in my case, theword is correct. I do not have a copy of "Clue," either the movie or the board game. I'm sorry, I've let us all down.

(27-06-2013 09:56 AM)Impulse Wrote:  However, from the Christian perspective, what's the point of prayer? It's to get results - i.e., a response from God. Without that, prayer has no meaning at all. So it seems to me a Christian should believe God has an "obligation to oblige" at least with some prayers. Otherwise, why pray?

This, I'll argue somewhat. Even when I was a hardcore christian, prayer was not just the Christian tugging on The Eternal Robe, waving a toy and saying "I want, I want, can I, huh?"

There are times it was just to have "someone" to talk to, to vent to (or at,) who wouldn't immediately turn around and tell you to be quiet, that it didn't matter, that your concerns were too petty to listen to. Yes, it's often phrased as asking for answers, but sometimes it's just a matter of getting it off your chest.

And many times, in those cases, you'll end up answering yourself. "Why am I not getting a better raise at work? I know I've worked there, and I just don't understand..." eventually leading to "I know I take longer lunches, and maybe don't do XYZ as well." It's obviously not "god" answering - though he/she/it will get the credit - but "talking through" things can help organize your own thoughts and bring an answer. Or just relief.

Of course, now we have the Internet, so there are places you can get tangible answers - even if they're not right. Smile

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
28-06-2013, 04:11 PM
"Why do atheists take everything out of context and think if Christians pray for something it is God's obligation to oblige? "

Um, because the Bible tells me so. Jesus said if I ask for anything, believing, I will get it. Even if you want to go through the mental gymnastics of filtering this very clear promise through the filter of "wait, just wait, it has to be God's will," I should get an answer to prayer every single time I pray according to God's will.

God's will was that his people prosper and be in health.

So when my sister was diagnosed with a crippling, degenerative, 100 percent fatal disease, it was God's EXPRESSED will that she be healed. I cannot tell you how many people were praying for that.

Her funeral was last September.

That's why, bitch.
[+] 8 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
28-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Sorry, shouldn't have ended my post with those words, but attacking atheists because they (we) dare to hold believers accountable for what they preach is so hypocritical that I don't know where to start.

I was a believer for 40 years. I prayed with the best of them. And I watched people continue in sickness and I watched people die prematurely and the effectual, fervent prayer of righteous men didn't avail CRAP. Remember that verse? I'm sure you do. "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." And you DARE ask why we think God is obliged to answer prayers? Would you like a list of Bible verses in which God promises to answer our prayers? It shouldn't be hard to find: it's the list you trot out when you try to talk a gullible seeker into buying your discredited mythological fantasy.

I know, I've taken God's promises out of context. Funny how nobody told me that when they were selling me this horsemanure. Only when we call God on a string of broken promises that would put a New Orleans politician to shame.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
28-06-2013, 04:34 PM
What are the kinds of people and or personalities that you have to plead with in order to get them to act ?

Do you have to beg for help when you walk into a hospital hurt and in pain ? No, not usually.
That's because the people working at the hospital should be caring and helpful individuals who have empathy for a fellow human being.
If you have to plead and pray to a god in order to get some action, then what kind of personality are you appealing to ?

I think if you imagine a kidnapper who is holding your children hostage, you may plead with him or her to not hurt your children.
If you see someone so angry that you have to plead with them to calm down, then you're getting closer to the kind of personality that you believe god is.

You believe god is the kind of god that has no empathy, no caring and no natural urge to help someone in pain.
This is why you pray. This is why you plead to god to take some kind of HUMANE action, because you realize the kind of personality you're dealing with.

You're dealing with an immature, angry child of a god who kills through genocide because he's annoyed.
You're dealing with someone so petty that he doesn't value life.
You know this because you believe he created animals that can only exist by killing and eating other animals.
This is the kind of sadistic personality you are trying to make a deal with.

"Oh please god, if you could just behave with some human compassion for a moment, I promise I'll go to church every sunday"

You try to barter and make deals, promises, anything just so this god of yours will do something decent and noble.

You are better than your god
You are more moral than your god
You are a decent human being

Your god is that sadistic part of your brain that has no desire to help anyone except himself.

~Fin~

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
28-06-2013, 06:17 PM
(28-06-2013 03:31 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  My prayer:

"Dear god! Please understand that many of your creations actually use the brain you gave us! We can't believe that you actually exist, because, well, there's no evidence to support the idea that you do! So, if you would be so kind (If you do exist) please don't hurt me! I wish I could say that I have never hurt anyone, but I really can't! From what I've read, you've hurt many! So give me the gift you have given others! Talk to me! Bring me into the fold! Don't roast me for eternity forever! . . . You asshole!

O Lord! Oh, You are so big, so absolutely huge. Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You. Forgive us, O Lord, for this, our dreadful toadying, and barefaced flattery. But You are so strong and, well, just so super. Fantastic. Amen.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
[+] 2 users Like cbb2274's post