Atheists don't need God to have something to live for!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 06:47 AM
RE: Atheists don't need God to have something to live for!
(02-04-2016 10:40 PM)Sylia Gray Wrote:  One of my Christian family members told me that "Atheists should die because they have nothing to live for by not believing God."

I wish I could just take a toothpick and pop her little "God" bubble that she's been inside of because that is a bigoted and ignorant thing to say!

No, we just have nothing to die for.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
03-04-2016, 06:56 AM
(02-04-2016 10:40 PM)Sylia Gray Wrote:  One of my Christian family members told me that "Atheists should die because they have nothing to live for by not believing God."

And this is one of the reasons that there are around 20 religious-based wars occurring around the world at the moment. Every religious zealot thinks that theirs is the only valid religion, and that all other religions have got it wrong, and should be done away with.

And the suggestion that any other human being should die is extremely offensive. Or is that hatred an intrinsic part of the Christian religion?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-04-2016, 09:16 AM
(03-04-2016 06:28 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  

I wish I could just take a toothpick and pop her little "God" bubble that she's been inside of because that is a bigoted and ignorant thing to say!

That is absolute bullshit. Here is what I respond with.

You go to a movie knowing it will end, but you still go. You go to a music concert knowing it will end, but you still go. You go to a sporting event knowing one team will win and one team will lose and that also ends, but you still go. You read a book knowing it has a last page. You eat a meal but you don't stay at the restaurant forever. You get a pet cat or dog, they die long before you do and you still end up getting another one.

Saying "this is it" doesn't make one fatalistic. It is just stating a fact of reality. Nobody is scared about the afterlife of a tree or cockroach nor do they dwell about the pre life of a tree or cockroach. Death is part of reality. But to claim that makes us fatalistic is absurd. That is not to say atheists don't have their own ups and downs, we do, and like everyone else, some have it better and some have it worse. But what we don't do is assign any good or bad that happen to magic, or sky heros or ground villains.

I find it insulting to my intellect for believers to claim that somehow we are incapable of any value, and thus somehow reject god claims because we are rebelling or emotional or mentally ill. That is simply flat out bullshit.

I love my Mom deeply, I love my cat, I love my best friend Bob. I love a pretty night time sky, ocean view sunset. I do get depressed sometimes. I do have fear of death, but not for the same reasons. With death, I fear prolonged pain, I fear my loved ones missing me and I missing them. But I do not fear a fictional afterlife anymore than I fear what life was like 1 billion years ago when I didn't exist.

I simply value what I know I have, here and now. I also value what those who will still remember me after I die and hopefully I can leave something positive for those who survive me. But I do not value superstition or magic or old claims. I find lots of good in life without myth making.

Great answer!

Heart War Angel Sylia
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2016, 10:14 PM
If we have nothing to live for, why does that mean we should die? It seems more logical for her to say something like, "atheists might as well die because they have nothing to live for, etc".
Then again, why would the logical choice be the one that a religious person makes in this circumstance? Silly me, looking for rationality in all the wrong places again.
Good on you for not taking this too personally. The shit that's being directed at you is hers only and doesn't have to taint your life. Hopefully she'll realize how insane she sounds and snap out of it.
[+] 2 users Like debna27's post
08-04-2016, 10:52 PM
(08-04-2016 10:14 PM)debna27 Wrote:  If we have nothing to live for, why does that mean we should die? It seems more logical for her to say something like, "atheists might as well die because they have nothing to live for, etc".
Then again, why would the logical choice be the one that a religious person makes in this circumstance? Silly me, looking for rationality in all the wrong places again.
Good on you for not taking this too personally. The shit that's being directed at you is hers only and doesn't have to taint your life. Hopefully she'll realize how insane she sounds and snap out of it.

Good point, there's also the is-ought problem to consider.

10-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Atheists have more value on life than Christians or Muslims do. Simple fact. Just look up the history. Most religions have this desire to see the end of the world. They want the world to die so that they can get on with their fantasy of this eternal afterlife that they think exists.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
11-04-2016, 07:24 PM

I always think this is a dumb thing to say if they could just think about for one second. They believe they will have an eternal life in a paradise...or torture but let's just say a paradise and they will live for however many years on Earth. Let's say they live 100 years, that's a long time but that's nothing compared to eternity. The only point of the Earthly life is to follow some rules, be a good person (By God's standards), have some kids and indoctrinate them, etc. and then you get the forever life which is super awesome and great.

After a few billion years you probably won't even remember your Earth life. Not only that but now you have no connection to or any way to influence the Earth anymore, you are cut off, maybe you can watch what's happening but that's it so no point in caring about it anymore after all your friends and family are dead and in Heaven with you, forever and ever and it's been so long even the concept of life has lost all meaning at this point.

For an atheist we have no reason to believe there is anything coming after we die, literally all we have, will ever be, will ever do is happening right now so it's to our benefit to live for as long as possible and to be truly happy and effect the Earth and everything living on it in right now and hopefully in a positive way before we die and nothing happens. I feel atheists value life more than theists because anything that has any defined value for us is encapsulated within it so without life we have nothing, literally. All we value including love, art, food, books, etc. can only be experienced now so the thrill of experiencing all of it is heightened to a greater degree.

If they truly believe a paradise awaits them the opposite would be true and there is no reason for them to continue living and they may as well die and start that life and let us atheists keep living the awesome life we are trying to live since there is no later for us, it's now or never.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
11-04-2016, 08:28 PM
(03-04-2016 06:47 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

No, we just have nothing to die for.

If you need an extra toothpick, just give me a call.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
24-04-2016, 06:44 AM
Well, that's the fundamental question that every person has to ask himself, is what do I have to live for? Yes, it's extremely obnoxious and bigoted of them to say, I'd probably want to punch them in the face if I heard them say that to me. But when it comes down to it, religious people are comforted by religion because the thought of there being no ultimate purpose is scary to them. They have weaker minds than someone who's willing to face life instead of trying to convince himself there's going to be some afterlife, or there's some divine plan. It's absurd of them to think that, but isn't it just as absurd as life itself?
25-04-2016, 01:33 AM

You should tell her that it is not true.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED