Atheists... how do you respond? Morality due ONLY to God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 01:06 AM
RE: Atheists... how do you respond? Morality due ONLY to God.
Although not really contributing. I will say without God's morality I am a horrible human being.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2012, 07:07 AM
(28-03-2012 01:06 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Although not really contributing. I will say without God's morality I am a horrible human being.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have such a low opinion of yourself.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
28-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Call me crazy but don't conclusions about morality and society come from discussion just like anything else.

If we simply took the bible as our moral guide for everything in society we would have rules such as:

1. Rape victims being forced to marry their rapists. (Judges 21:10-24)
2. All Teenagers who are un-ruley being stoned to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
3. Killing anyone who worked on the Sabbath (irrespective of what day we would declare the Sabbath to be)

I could go on with dozens more (and will if I see any stupid apologetic nonsense pop up!).

The point is that morality does not come from any single book or person but from community discussion and human empathy and compassion. That discussion will always entail people from every creed, race, sex, religion and otherwise. It goes without saying that Atheists participate in that discussion.

Secular morality will always be superior to any holy book simply because like science it's a process of community and we are after all social animals.
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post
28-03-2012, 09:40 AM
(28-03-2012 07:35 AM)Godless Wrote:  Call me crazy but don't conclusions about morality and society come from discussion just like anything else.

If we simply took the bible as our moral guide for everything in society we would have rules such as:

1. Rape victims being forced to marry their rapists. (Judges 21:10-24)
2. All Teenagers who are un-ruley being stoned to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
3. Killing anyone who worked on the Sabbath (irrespective of what day we would declare the Sabbath to be)

I could go on with dozens more (and will if I see any stupid apologetic nonsense pop up!).

The point is that morality does not come from any single book or person but from community discussion and human empathy and compassion. That discussion will always entail people from every creed, race, sex, religion and otherwise. It goes without saying that Atheists participate in that discussion.

Secular morality will always be superior to any holy book simply because like science it's a process of community and we are after all social animals.
*whining voice*

But hoooooonnnnnneeeeeeeyyyyyyy, the Old Testament was fulllllffffiiiiiiiiiiillllllleeeed...

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]