Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2016, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2016 06:15 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?
(23-12-2016 04:47 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Posting the same thread twice? Are you a spammer? Do you think we're stupid and won't notice the same thread being posted twice?

I am sorry for that. WHen I first joined, I thought "Ask the atheist" was a category where you ask one atheist only. Now I realize this and I don't know how to delete this post

No sweat. Threads merged.
DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2016, 05:02 PM
(23-12-2016 04:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know why this keeps coming up as an argument. It is so simple. You realize that you might be dying.

Oh shit, you think, and pieces of your life come to mind, unfinished business, important memories....

Nothing of help there, so your faithful brain pulls all files it has that refer to death.

If raised around Christians, you're going to see what they kept telling you. Same for people from regions with other faiths - they will see whatever. You are also going to see uncle Bert, died 7 years ago in accident, gramma, grampa, and whoever else died whom you knew.

Meanwhile your brain starts misfiring and you see bright flashes....

But do you think the brain is capable of making an experience seem that real? Also, there have been people like Howard Storm who were atheists but then converted and became ministers after NDEs. What would you say about that?
23-12-2016, 05:07 PM
(23-12-2016 05:02 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 04:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know why this keeps coming up as an argument. It is so simple. You realize that you might be dying.

Oh shit, you think, and pieces of your life come to mind, unfinished business, important memories....

Nothing of help there, so your faithful brain pulls all files it has that refer to death.

If raised around Christians, you're going to see what they kept telling you. Same for people from regions with other faiths - they will see whatever. You are also going to see uncle Bert, died 7 years ago in accident, gramma, grampa, and whoever else died whom you knew.

But do you think the brain is capable of making an experience seem that real? Also, there have been people like Howard Storm who were atheists but then converted and became ministers after NDEs. What would you say about that?

Our brains already make things seem real by interpreting sensory data of the world around us.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
23-12-2016, 05:13 PM
(23-12-2016 05:02 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  

Of course it seems real, like a zillion other dreams we have...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
23-12-2016, 05:14 PM
(23-12-2016 02:54 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  On the Near-Death experience website, there was a study done on NDEs using 50 people from different faiths. Atheists were also interviewed. According to the website, of the 50 atheists:

50% of atheists saw Jesus
50% of atheists experienced a feeling of fear
and 50% reported experiencing or seeing hell.

Many people would probably say that the reason for this is that these atheists could have grown up in Christian communities where hell was talked about. However, there are also people who claim that most NDEs are positive as a result of chemicals released in the brain. Why exactly is it then, that hell is experienced at all if the endorphins in the brain are supposed to make one feel good?

http://www.near-death.com/religion/athei...s-of-at...

section 4

Neurons firing off for the last time. Brains are wired by your life experiences. Not surprising that someone in the West would see Jesus, Darth Vader, Morgan Freeman. A Hindu will see the guy who created the world from a sea of milk or something...then the slate is wiped clean. There is a lot of stuff tucked away in the human brain.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
23-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Yay a click baity half-assed half-edgy topic with a link to some website that nobody gives a fuck about Smile

*shrug*
*stuffs face with more christmas candy*

bai *burp*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
23-12-2016, 05:38 PM
I'm afraid of dying, but not afraid of being dead.

Brains are wonderful and terrible things. My brain can make up nightmares that make me too scared to go back to sleep. When my brain activity stops, that'll be it, I'm pretty sure.

If I'm wrong and it's hell instead, oh well. At least I'll be out of eternity with all of the horrid people I know who are licking God's balls in hope of a spot in Heaven. Including you, OP. You go ahead and spend eternity saying hallelujah to an entity so insecure that it needs constant praise; we'll see how you enjoy it. Any God that would damn me to hell despite my best efforts towards understanding leaving me unconvinced is a both an incompetent creator and immoral.
23-12-2016, 06:03 PM
(23-12-2016 05:02 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  But do you think the brain is capable of making an experience seem that real?

Yes. In the astronaut centrifuge machines that simulate the G forces of lift off the blood is pulled out of the central core of the brain. Many astronauts experience near death and out of body experiences during training in those machines. They see themselves walking down hallways, see people long since dead, see Jesus and swear it's real.

It's just the brain fighting the effects of blood being pulled away from key areas.

Sorry, t'aint no afterlife. It's just wishful thinking.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Your "facts" add up to more than 100% dumbass.

If half saw Vishnu, would you drop the Jeebus myth?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
23-12-2016, 06:30 PM
(23-12-2016 05:02 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  But do you think the brain is capable of making an experience seem that real?

I think the brain has remarkable capability for creating alternate realities.

As for the atheists who saw hell, I have a simple explanation: I suspect they may have come from religious families and received religious indoctrination that they have not yet completely overwritten.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post