Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2016, 11:26 PM
RE: Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?
(23-12-2016 06:37 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 06:16 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Your "facts" add up to more than 100% dumbass.

If half saw Vishnu, would you drop the Jeebus myth?

I guess I'm just fearing the worst possible case. I was raised Christian but now I have my doubts about particular aspects of it. Still, I worry about hell because I have been brainwashed. I have seen one too many "conversion" videos on youtube looking at the likes of Howard Storm and others on the Near-Death experience website. Now I am just worrying.

Fear. It always comes down to fear.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
25-12-2016, 02:54 AM
Just thought of something that might indicate a link between physical experience and mental effects.

In the period before my near fatal heart attack I suffered many hot and cold sweats at night - not unusual in the early stages of a traumatic event, or when suffering otherwise asymptomatic cancers etc.

During that same period I also suffered almost nightly nightmares, mostly of a threatening, "sword of Damocles,"nature. I assume this was my brain attempting to work out what was happening - give reason to the physical experiences.

Perhaps more pertinently I often, on becoming "aware" during the night, could not distinguish between the dream and real worlds.

Later, after an energency ambulance ride to another city for treatment, I was cognitively aware that I was very ill but more interested in the procedures and equipment than anything else!

When the body is "under assault by forces unknown", if there is no specific centre of conscious pain to "blame" for the experience the "analytical brain" looks for reasons anywhere it can.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
25-12-2016, 03:13 AM
(23-12-2016 09:27 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  Ok, but what about George Rodonaia's OBE where he is "dead" but hears a baby crying. .... Later on, after he is revived, he is able to share this with the baby's parents.

If he could be reanimated, then he wasnt dead in the first place, was he?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
25-12-2016, 09:11 AM
(23-12-2016 06:16 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Your "facts" add up to more than 100% dumbass.

Quote:50% of atheists saw Jesus
50% of atheists experienced a feeling of fear
and 50% reported experiencing or seeing hell.

Maths is not your forté... sorry. Cool The figures given aren't required to add up to 100%.

Half the atheists saw Jesus, and the other half saw hell. Of the half that saw Jesus, half felt fear, and of the half that saw hell, half felt fear. (As an EG.)

100 atheists had NDE
50 saw Jesus inc. 25 (50%) who felt fear
50 saw hell] inc. 25 (50%) who felt fear

100 total inclusive of 50 who felt fear.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-12-2016, 09:32 AM
(23-12-2016 08:46 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  what do you think of this NDE?
http://www.near-death.com/science/eviden...-days.html

Totally absurd nonsense, not worth wasting time debating it. After three days without oxygen, the human brain and other organs are totally non-functional.

There's zero evidence that the guy was ever dead anyway; what a surprising coincidence that it was for three days!

It also needs to be said that near death is clinically-speaking not the same as being dead. For example, a woman can't be "nearly" pregnant.

George Rodonaia was apparently delusional, and a liar and fraudster. End of story.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
25-12-2016, 11:34 AM
(23-12-2016 05:02 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  But do you think the brain is capable of making an experience seem that real? Also, there have been people like Howard Storm who were atheists but then converted and became ministers after NDEs. What would you say about that?

I think the brain is capable of making things seem real. I dream dreams all the time that when I wake up, I have to piece together what really happened, and what was just the dream.

Who the hell is Howard Storm?

*Googles*

Okay, so this guy had and NDE and converted to Christianity. So what? So this one artsy fartsy guy had some emotional experience? -Does that really sound out of character for a right-brained thinker?

Come on. You can do better than that, can't you?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
25-12-2016, 11:48 AM
(23-12-2016 06:37 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  

If half saw Vishnu, would you drop the Jeebus myth?

I guess I'm just fearing the worst possible case. I was raised Christian but now I have my doubts about particular aspects of it. Still, I worry about hell because I have been brainwashed. I have seen one too many "conversion" videos on youtube looking at the likes of Howard Storm and others on the Near-Death experience website. Now I am just worrying.

Instead of studying emotionally driven, axe-grinding pseudoscience, start training your brain to discern actual facts from nonsense. Learn when purveyors of such bullshit are not presenting impartial data but are rather presenting specific information to back into their own personal agenda. -The agenda they are selling to you in the form of books, lectures, and other media. They're only ever showing you the data that supports what they already believe, and they conceal information that conflicts with their view. If they ever call upon your emotions or fear to "believe" them, then they are not good people. They're manipulative charlatans who are using you for book sales.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
25-12-2016, 03:46 PM
On the other hand can I interest you in MY Holy Book, The Book of the True God? 100% guaranteed hell for all who fail to buy it!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-12-2016, 03:54 PM
If something like 90% of people from all countries and cultures around the globe would report seeing the SAME god (despite they not being from that religion).... then it would be worth thinking about it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
25-12-2016, 04:10 PM
(25-12-2016 03:54 PM)Velvet Wrote:  If something like 90% of people from all countries and cultures around the globe would report seeing the SAME god (despite they not being from that religion).... then it would be worth thinking about it.

Only if you could put under a microscope.

People with delusions often end in mental wards.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.