Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 07:13 PM
RE: Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?
(23-12-2016 02:54 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  On the Near-Death experience website, there was a study done on NDEs using 50 people from different faiths. Atheists were also interviewed. According to the website, of the 50 atheists:

50% of atheists saw Jesus
50% of atheists experienced a feeling of fear
and 50% reported experiencing or seeing hell.

Many people would probably say that the reason for this is that these atheists could have grown up in Christian communities where hell was talked about. However, there are also people who claim that most NDEs are positive as a result of chemicals released in the brain. Why exactly is it then, that hell is experienced at all if the endorphins in the brain are supposed to make one feel good?

http://www.near-death.com/religion/athei...s-of-at...

section 4

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
25-12-2016, 07:30 PM
As someone who experiences panic attacks, I can confirm that the brain is wholly capable of 'creating' visions, sensations, and delusions that aren't actually there and you KNOW aren't there. I can only imagine at what straws a dying brain would desperately grasp at.

I would also find your source to be extremely questionable and biased. Of course they'll use data that supports their argument and ignore the many people who saw the Hindu gods, Nordic gods, aliens, or nothing at all (as I once did after passing out).

The brain is a very powerful organ. It already makes things 'seem' real by interpreting sensory data. And if it receives questionable data (darting 'light' in your peripheral vision as you turn) it can easily deduce that you saw something that wasn't there (ghost), ESPECIALLY if you've been raised to believe in such things.

This is probably based on the fact that as our species evolved, those that assumed something was there (predator) when their brain received mixed signals, were more likely to survive than those that didn't.

And now we're stuck with it.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
25-12-2016, 07:54 PM
(23-12-2016 02:54 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  On the Near-Death experience website, there was a study done on NDEs using 50 people from different faiths. Atheists were also interviewed. According to the website, of the 50 atheists:

Many people would probably say that the reason for this is that these atheists could have grown up in Christian communities where hell was talked about. However, there are also people who claim that most NDEs are positive as a result of chemicals released in the brain. Why exactly is it then, that hell is experienced at all if the endorphins in the brain are supposed to make one feel good?

section 4

It wouldn't concern me.

Your brain is perfectly capable of creating visions of whatever. Living in a society that is full of Jesus and xtianity it is not surprising that the brain under that kind of stress would create visions that would be like Jesus or could be attributed to look like Jesus after the fact.

The process of brain death and loss of numerous an is chaotic. Wouldn't it make sense that the experiences would be traumatic for some and not others?
25-12-2016, 08:13 PM
(23-12-2016 03:25 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 02:54 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  and 50% reported experiencing or seeing hell.

Given that the other 50% did not see hell, this would imply that being atheist in and of itself was not the determining factor.

According to how the oP listed stuff 100% did not see Jesus, 50% did, but 100% didn't. Don't pass this kid out of 2nd grade.
25-12-2016, 08:20 PM
(25-12-2016 08:13 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 03:25 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Given that the other 50% did not see hell, this would imply that being atheist in and of itself was not the determining factor.

According to how the oP listed stuff 100% did not see Jesus, 50% did, but 100% didn't. Don't pass this kid out of 2nd grade.

Well it's mathematically rational if we accept that it's possible to both experience fear while simultaneously experiencing Hell or seeing Jesus. The question then becomes "Which ones overlapped?". Was Jesus more fear inducing than Hell? Or, better yet, did they see Jesus while in Hell? I like to think so. He deserves it for claiming to be God.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
25-12-2016, 08:58 PM
(25-12-2016 08:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 08:13 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  According to how the oP listed stuff 100% did not see Jesus, 50% did, but 100% didn't. Don't pass this kid out of 2nd grade.

Well it's mathematically rational if we accept that it's possible to both experience fear while simultaneously experiencing Hell or seeing Jesus. The question then becomes "Which ones overlapped?". Was Jesus more fear inducing than Hell? Or, better yet, did they see Jesus while in Hell? I like to think so. He deserves it for claiming to be God.

This was my understanding of it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-12-2016, 01:30 AM

section 4

Not all chemicals released in the brain make you feel good. Here's a list of chemicals in the brain that DON'T make you feel good.

Glutamate
Substance P
Serotonin

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
26-12-2016, 02:48 AM
(26-12-2016 01:30 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  

section 4

Not all chemicals released in the brain make you feel good. Here's a list of chemicals in the brain that DON'T make you feel good.

Glutamate
Substance P
Serotonin
Er, thought serotonin was a "pleasure hormone".

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
26-12-2016, 09:46 AM

section 4

You don't have to grow up in a christian community to know who Jesus is. It's CHRISTmas season and his image is plastered everywhere, not to mention the constant references to him in popular culture.

Now, if NDE's were anything other than brain chemistry and a connection could be established between a subject's brain and a consciousness outside that person's brain, then I would be interested.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-12-2016, 10:34 PM
(26-12-2016 02:48 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Er, thought serotonin was a "pleasure hormone".

Yep... Serotonin contributes to well-being and happiness, and maintains mood balance. A deficit of serotonin leads to depression—which explains why depressed people take SSRIs.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.