Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: Atheists, if these results are in fact true, would you be afraid?
(25-12-2016 03:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  On the other hand can I interest you in MY Holy Book, The Book of the True God? 100% guaranteed hell for all who fail to buy it!

[Image: 79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc...e74d7e.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
28-12-2016, 07:04 PM
We probably wouldn't fear death or Hell or demons or whatever if we didn't get told constantly. But it's not fucking real and the vision we have of Hell was mostly made up by poets and writers like Dante so not even from the Bible even.

So, no I don't fear Hell just like I don't fear some all loving God who will torture me for not loving him back.

I doubt I will ever have an NDE but if I do I'm sure I'll have visions of taking the boat ride across the milky sea to the land of Cereals where Capn Crunch will be waiting for me, he'll embrace me and tell me it's not time yet and let me go, as I come back to consciousness I will hear his voice whispering "Don't forget to go buy some Caramel Popcorn Crunch...it's only available for a limited time...also be good or whatever..."

I'd wake up with the sweet scent of crunchberries in my nose and a sense of love and calm...yeah I'm sure if I believe it enough it'll happen or I might see Jesus but what's the difference between Capn Crunch and Jesus again? Uhhhh...I always forget...uhhh oh well, it doesn't matter.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
29-12-2016, 01:19 PM
(23-12-2016 02:54 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  On the Near-Death experience website, there was a study done on NDEs using 50 people from different faiths. Atheists were also interviewed. According to the website, of the 50 atheists:

50% of atheists saw Jesus
50% of atheists experienced a feeling of fear
and 50% reported experiencing or seeing hell.

Many people would probably say that the reason for this is that these atheists could have grown up in Christian communities where hell was talked about. However, there are also people who claim that most NDEs are positive as a result of chemicals released in the brain. Why exactly is it then, that hell is experienced at all if the endorphins in the brain are supposed to make one feel good?

http://www.near-death.com/religion/athei...s-of-at...

section 4
I'm a bit confused. You said "50 people from different faiths" and then "of the 50 atheists"... Shouldn't atheists be a subset of the 50? Your link doesn't work so maybe if I could see the page it would make more sense.

NDE science is interesting, but that particular website is self-proclaimed as having an agenda so it's not so interesting.

Also, do you know that people from different faiths tend to see their own god? They can't all be correct...

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
29-12-2016, 01:30 PM
(28-12-2016 07:04 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  what's the difference between Capn Crunch and Jesus again?
Cap'n Crunch really doesn't sink in water. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
29-12-2016, 03:09 PM
(29-12-2016 01:30 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 07:04 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  what's the difference between Capn Crunch and Jesus again?
Cap'n Crunch really doesn't sink in water. Tongue

Also Cap'n Crunch tastes much more delicious than communion wafers.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
29-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Edit.

30-12-2016, 05:16 PM
(23-12-2016 02:54 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  On the Near-Death experience website, there was a study done on NDEs using 50 people from different faiths. Atheists were also interviewed. According to the website, of the 50 atheists:

50% of atheists saw Jesus
50% of atheists experienced a feeling of fear
and 50% reported experiencing hell

That's 150%! How dose any of that add up? So out of 50 people 75 of them had an after life experience. This also dosen't sound like a very good control number. Only 25 out of 50 people felt one thing or another.

I think 100 or more would be a start. That would also need to know what sort of drugs, operations, or tramatic occurances happened that "killed them". So many factors that would need to be applied.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
30-12-2016, 11:02 PM
(23-12-2016 05:02 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  But do you think the brain is capable of making an experience seem that real?
Yes. Drinking Beverage

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post