Atheists in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Atheists in America
In my English class, one of the major things we'll be doing is reading a book about religion (our choice.) My mother had seen the syllabus and she told me that she doesn't want me to do it on Atheism. Her reason: She doesn't want me to do it on Atheism. Her actual reason: She doesn't like Atheists. So now knowing my mother's view on Atheists, I decided to see how Americans in general view Atheists. I won't write the details, I'll just give you the links.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistactiv...heists.htm
http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistbigot...sHated.htm

Considering the data, I wish to learn what you guys think. Frankly, I'm scared. I'm only a senior in high school and I'm afraid of how my parents will treat me from here on out. I'm afraid it will get much, much worse.

So what do you think? How do you think Atheists are treated in the U.S., and do you think it will get better?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 04:52 PM
RE: Atheists in America
Well Atheism isn't a religion... so.

On topic, however, Atheists aren't taken into the streets and hung or get their homes blown up but the social suicide one faces when they come out as an Atheist could be just as detrimental. I myself have received acceptance and love on one side and excommunication and hate on the other. Thankfully the acceptance and love outweighs the latter but it still hurts.

God is everywhere in America. I mean everywhere. Atheism is taboo and shunned. It is getting better, however, the less ignorant our society becomes. The same goes for gay rights etc. It won't happen overnight but I won't give up on my fight to complete acceptance.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like TheDoctorPhil's post
11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
http://store.richarddawkins.net/products...id-t-shirt

I have my atheist t-shirt I got from the Dawkins website. I wear it proudly in public and frankly I don't get any looks at all. I don't think people are that hungup
on the whole atheist thing. I think they get more bent out of shape because they have lived their entire life thinking a certain way and here is someone
who doesn't think that way. They don't know how to react, so it's a reaction of shock and anger. The anger part comes in because of what they think we think of them.

"They must think I'm stupid. They must think I'm crazy. I believe in a god and those fools don't. How could they be so blind ? "
It's the shock that someone doesn't see what they see, that someone doesn't think as they think.
It's all very strange to them because they are constantly surrounded and reinforced in their thinking by everyone they know.

It's called living in a bubble and you, as an atheist, are seen as the Prick that is trying to burst that bubble.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
(11-09-2012 04:52 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Well Atheism isn't a religion... so.

And Doc Phil here is right. It's not a religion and the topic in your class is about religion. Pick one and make as much fun of it as you want. Go all out.

Let people see it for the ridiculous belief that it is, no matter which one you pick.

As for your parents. They already know.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
11-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Fly it proudly Big Grin

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
We're not attacked physically but I think we're always being looked over as just some fad.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
(11-09-2012 06:55 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Fly it proudly Big Grin

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater

I want one... Just trying to work out the placement right now. I've got my left arm half sleeved and my right is just getting started.

How about on the forehead. I think that would go well. Wink

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
11-09-2012, 07:05 PM
When people ask what does it mean, I just say its the price of being married...lol

Figure if they don't know, why bother...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
11-09-2012, 07:24 PM
(11-09-2012 04:41 PM)Scott D Wrote:  So what do you think? How do you think Atheists are treated in the U.S., and do you think it will get better?

It gets better. Some of that is geographically dependent, small vs large cities, location, etc etc.
In California, "anything goes". We're in La La Land anyway, so "what did you expect ?".

40 % of Millennials say they are not affiliated with any organized church group. THAT is a huge change. 50 years ago, publicly stated one was an a-theist was unheard of, except for a couple infamous people. So, yes, things have, and WILL, get a LOT better.

You have many options. "I do not care to discuss that", "not THAT again", "why did you bring that up now ?", .... etc etc etc. You disclose what, when you wish, to whom you wish. It's not a subject of discussion in the workplace, unless you wish it to be, among your group of friends.

Everyone has their own smaller group of close friends. You pick those very carefully, based on what you have in common, just like everyone else.

You're not going to marry your mother, or her choice for your mate, I hope. If she "disapproves", she will learn to get over it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Huh... I wonder when that University of Minnesota study was done? Minnesota has seen a steep spike in the Muslim population due to the influx of Somalian refugees to the state (it seems to make some vague mention of that in the article, but not specifically). People openly talk about how much they distrust the Muslims in our state. Yet, these numbers say they distrust atheists MORE than Muslims? Truth be told, seeing that has me a little nervous about having put "atheist" on my hospital registration form now...